• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

I've also had the reverse happen to me where some of my more effeminate gay friends have accused me of being a closet case and a homophobe because I'm not as outwardly flamboyant as them. It gets pretty obnoxious because I'm just being myself and they keep wanting to treat me like I'm hiding something when I am not. Or they start projecting and saying stuff like "you just don't want to be seen with gay people like us" and crap like that. They aren't willing to accept me for who I am even though I've countless times accepted them for who they are. Not all gay men are cosmo sipping, madonna worshipping, sassy "queens". It's kind of ridiculous when see some gay guys go out of their way to live up to a plastic stereotype of gay men.

Not all gay men are. I mean, some guys look and act like straight guys in almost every aspect of their life, and so society just assumes that they are straight. because I spend a lot of time around gay men, I could still perhaps pick up something o/n my gaydar as to whether or not the guy in question is gay or not. I am very sensitive to that sort of thing.

Your friends sound annoying to me. There were some pretty conservative gay guys in my circle of friends, but they still held a witty tongue and they were funny and creative, but not flamboyant about it. We still knew them to be gay and loved them for them. Sometimes, when we think that we are coming across a certain way, we aren't unfortunately. But other times people think something and want to continue with thinking it, and if they want to think that you are not being yourself or that you are ashamed to be seen with them, then they will sadly :(

#22 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

By the way, the term "flaming" comes from the fact that gay people used to be burned alive over sticks that were gathered up, also known as "fags". 

Incidentally I saw RuPaul live at a nightclub in Akron, Ohio in the early 2000's. She was a total bitch and was being really rude to the crowd during the whole show. She made the club owners build a temporary hallway out of plywood so she didn't have to come in contact with any of the patrons when going up to the stage. Rumor has it they paid her like $17k to perform there, and on top of that there was a $20 admission fee to get into the bar, then she kept stopping the show and complaining that people were tipping her with $1's and $5's instead of $10's and $20's. Umm, hello, you're in cash-strapped rust belt Akron, Ohio - not the freaking Hamptons. If that wasn't bad enough, when people started getting pissed off during the show, she stopped coming to the edge of the stage completely and just stood against the back of the stage for the rest of the show. She was thin as a rail and looked strung out. She looks a lot better now on the show though, and her attitude seems a lot better as well. 

People who are fans of RuPaul know that she had a drug problem a few years ago. It doesn't surprise me to hear your story because I've seen some Youtube videos from that time period and she was messed up on drugs.

Of course she's nicer and more positive now, she's sober.

#23 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

I had also seen Chi Chi LaRue and Lady Bunny there as well. Hell, I even "partied" with Chi Chi while she was there - both were a lot nicer than RuPaul. I'm glad RuPaul cleaned up though and made it through that dark period.

#24 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

By the way, the term "flaming" comes from the fact that gay people used to be burned alive over sticks that were gathered up, also known as "fags". 

Incidentally I saw RuPaul live at a nightclub in Akron, Ohio in the early 2000's. She was a total bitch and was being really rude to the crowd during the whole show. She made the club owners build a temporary hallway out of plywood so she didn't have to come in contact with any of the patrons when going up to the stage. Rumor has it they paid her like $17k to perform there, and on top of that there was a $20 admission fee to get into the bar, then she kept stopping the show and complaining that people were tipping her with $1's and $5's instead of $10's and $20's. Umm, hello, you're in cash-strapped rust belt Akron, Ohio - not the freaking Hamptons. If that wasn't bad enough, when people started getting pissed off during the show, she stopped coming to the edge of the stage completely and just stood against the back of the stage for the rest of the show. She was thin as a rail and looked strung out. She looks a lot better now on the show though, and her attitude seems a lot better as well. 

People who are fans of RuPaul know that she had a drug problem a few years ago. It doesn't surprise me to hear your story because I've seen some Youtube videos from that time period and she was messed up on drugs.

I am a fan of RuPaul, but I didn't know that Ru Paul had a drug problem. I am not surprised, because they are all at it when they are in that celebrity life, but he just seems like he has his head screwed on and like he has strong morals. Not that the drug use displaces those values. People go through things in life and drugs help.

#25 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

I am a fan of RuPaul, but I didn't know that Ru Paul had a drug problem. I am not surprised, because they are all at it when they are in that celebrity life, but he just seems like he has his head screwed on and like he has strong morals. Not that the drug use displaces those values. People go through things in life and drugs help.

During the time period before Drag Race ,when RuPaul was off the radar for a few years, he was dealing with some stuff and I saw a Youtube video where he looked kind of skinny and cracked out and was behaving erratically. But it looks like he overcame his issues and he seems to be in a good place now.

#26 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

Wow. I did not know anything at all. Mind you, I don't really follow RuPaul when the show is not on or anything like that. Rupaul did mention in his shows that his mother is no longer here on Earth. Do you think that this drug thing had anything to do with that possibly?

#27 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Wow. I did not know anything at all. Mind you, I don't really follow RuPaul when the show is not on or anything like that. Rupaul did mention in his shows that his mother is no longer here on Earth. Do you think that this drug thing had anything to do with that possibly?

It could be that or maybe it was financial or being out of the spotlight for a few years. Between RuPaul's 1990's music career and his current comeback, there were a few years where he did public appearances at clubs, but I'm sure that not having a hit album or hit show probably affected his finances.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 19 September 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#28 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

It could be that or maybe it was financial or being out of the spotlight for a few years. Between RuPaul's 1990's music career and his current comeback, there were a few years where he did public appearances at clubs, but I'm sure that not having a hit album or hit show probably affected his finances.

I didn't even know that RuPaul had any hits. I mean, I know that he does his own music, because of the shameless plugging that he does on RuPauls's Drag Race. But as far as mainstream music, he has never quite made it. Maybe being out of the spotlight got him down, or the fact that he was no longer in it made him feel that he could relax and do drugs lol.  don't know how celebrities think.

#29 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

I didn't even know that RuPaul had any hits. I mean, I know that he does his own music, because of the shameless plugging that he does on RuPauls's Drag Race. But as far as mainstream music, he has never quite made it. Maybe being out of the spotlight got him down, or the fact that he was no longer in it made him feel that he could relax and do drugs lol.  don't know how celebrities think.

He had some moderate success in the early 1990's. His debut album was played a lot back in the day - mainly at clubs, but also on the radio. I remembered seeing him frequently on MTV. I think by the mid 90's things started to taper off a bit, though he did have some guest stints like on that sitcom with LL Cool J.

#30 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

He had some moderate success in the early 1990's. His debut album was played a lot back in the day - mainly at clubs, but also on the radio. I remembered seeing him frequently on MTV. I think by the mid 90's things started to taper off a bit, though he did have some guest stints like on that sitcom with LL Cool J.

Is the sitcom that you are referring to called In The House? I used to watch that on a TV chnanel called Trouble over here in the UK. I unfortunately never saw the episode with Rupaul in it :( I am sure that the clips will be available on Youtube anyway. I'll just go and take a look. I love me some Rupaul. I also love some of the spiritual things that he says.

#31 Cherry

Cherry

Cordial

• 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have watched the drag queens in action and cannot believe how conceited some of the contestants are. The padding, emotional drama, conceit, and poor taste reveals some of the psychological scarring brought on by years of constant rejecton suffered at the hands of family members and society at large.

I would like to see some of the flamers on a show with some of "Real Wives" stars. We would not be able to tell them apart!

:lol:

Not overly impressed with your use of the term flamers, but it is the internet and so I can't hear your tone, but only assume it. 

but apart from that, most of the drag queens that I have talked to in real life are absolutely hilarious men. They have me crying with laughter; they are so funny and quick-witted. They are not afraid to single you out in a crowd and take the piss out of you, for everyone else's laughter either, which can be a bit intimidating but it is as funny as hell!!!

There used to be a show called The A-List and it was a reality show like Real Housewives, but it was just gay men instead. I LOVED it.

My gay friends label the personality trait "flaming".  Those possesing the trait are "flamers". Of the terms used by my gay friends, the term I chose is the least offensive of many. While revealing an underlying friction between differing factions of the local gay community, the term describes a laundry list of affectations that would otherwise be too long to list.

I spend all of my time in the gay community, which is perhaps why I was sensitive to you using the term. In my opinion, gay people should be able to use the word flamers, but I am assuming that you are straight. I am not a fan of straight people using words like that. Most of the time when straight people use it, it is mostly to degrade and make one look bad or effeminate, or annoyingly flamboyant. I just felt that there was no need for the use of the term in your previous post. You could have said flamboyant or ostentatious or anything, but you used flamer, which is a known derogatory term for  'over-the-top' gay men.

Unbelievable. I am witnessing a lecture about using a word ("flamer") that is not approved of by a certain poster, but when I mentioned I was offended by the word "wigger" when it was used in conversation numerous times, I was treated to a lecture about how I was emotional. :lol:

Anyway, I love the show and have watched it on and off. I can't say that I have seen every episode, but I've seen many of them. I think the guys put so much into their characters that it is a little heartbreaking to see them get sent home, but there can be only one! (Per show, that is.) 

Edited by Cherry, 21 September 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#32 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Not all that unbelievable, Cherry. Flamer is a derogatory word mostly used by heterosexual people to down on gay men. I stated that I was not overly impressed with the use of the word, because I was not. It was the truth. In our Breaking bad discussion, you alluded to the fact that I could not have an adult conversation because I wouldn't stop using the word wigger, which is just NOT offensive in my opinion. To ME, the term 'wigger' is NOWHERE near on the level of flamer, because to me 'wigger' is not offensive or derogatory in the SLIGHTEST!! Gay people face a LOT of discrimination and hardship. So any derogatory comment pertaining to a person being gay is potentially a lot more offensive than the stupid word 'wigger' to me. My experiences with the word 'flamer' have been much more hostile than with the word 'wigger.' So I am going to find flamer a lot harsher and that is my issue to work on. But to compare the two terms is ridiculous in my opinion. You may not agree, and that is your prerogative. Above I stated that I don't like straight people using flamer, which I don't, but I also understand that I can't stop anybody from saying anything or meaning it in whichever way that they mean it. I merely stated some words that could have been used instead of flamer. I didn't say that the person HAD to stop using the word, otherwise they were not an adult and could not hold an adult conversation because they were offending me to the point that I wanted to jump off of a bridge. I didn't attempt to put anybody down for using the word flamer, like you tried to do with me for using the word 'wigger.'.  I addressed the flamer thing in this thread with a sentence or two, then i swiftly moved back on topic until others in this thread elaborated on the origins of the word flamer. Then I put in my two more cents. 

So moving on, RuPaul's Drag race is one of the most fun reality shows on TV. I missed the last season, but I'll be finding the episodes and downloading them :)

Edited by pipergale, 21 September 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#33 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

So far, the current season is my least favorite season because I haven't really found a favorite drag queen that I'm rooting for. Last year I loved Jinxx Monsoon and Alaska.

This year I haven't really gotten attached to any of them and I don't know who I want to win this season. I wouldn't mine Darienne Lake leaving because she is a big meanie who picks on everyone.

#34 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:35 AM

I can never get over how beautiful Rupaul is when he is in drag. I would say that he is one of the prettiest women in the entertainment world at times. Much better looking than Beyonce, who I have never really been able to see the fascination with lol.

I recently showed my sister's boyfriend one of Rupaul's pictures - one of his most feminine and prettiest pictures, and my sister's boyfriend still immediately knew that he was looking at a man lol.

#35 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

So were you guys happy with this year's winner and the top 3? My favorite girl didn't win, but I think the queen who won deserved it. Out of the eliminated queens, I wish that Ben De La Creme, Milk and Gia Gunn had stuck around longer.

#36 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

I am so excited, because I live in the UK. And Sharon Needles is making an appearance in one of the gay clubs that I frequently go to. I cannot wait to see her perform live!!!

#37 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Adore Delano is actually doing better than the Drag Race winner. Adore's album is a hit and she's getting tons of mainstream attention for her music videos and songs.

Her album actually sounds like a legit pop album, not a vanity or novelty album. If she keeps going like this, she's going to have as big of a music career as RuPaul in the 90's.

#38 evelynmcgregor

evelynmcgregor

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

My daughter is a huge fan of Drag Race.  She watches it whenever it is on Logo and she does not care if it is a new show or a rerun.  I watch it with her occasionally and find it very entertaining.  It amazes me how much these genlemen can change their appearance to look so much like actual women.  Another drag show/movie I love to watch is Perscilla,Queen of the Desert.  Very funny.  Another funny drag movies is Too Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmire.

#39 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:42 AM

I love RuPaul's Drag Race! First time I saw it was in college and I amazed at how those ladies looked! Some of them pulled the look off so well, that I thought they were women when I first has it! Imagine my surprise when I found out that they were all men, lol. After that, I've been hooked on the show, but haven't been able to watch the past few seasons. :( I always end up forgetting when it comes on and what day. I just need my fierce ladies fix, stat!

#40 PennySafe

PennySafe

Shy

• 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

So what do you guys think of the next season's cast?  I saw the little introductory interviews, and I don't know.  This cast seems a little boring but I guess the entertainment will kick in once we see the group dynamic. I don't even know when this show starts but I still am excited.  I think last season was great.  I loved Bianca del Rio, she was a pro.