Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Official thread for Educational programming of any kind

#2 Dindee

Dindee

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

I'm a happy boy because of this thread. I will list down a few of my favorite TV documentaries or reality series. Here goes:

Deadliest Catch
Dirty Jobs
Mythbusters
Man VS Wild
Air Crash Investigation

I always wait for every season of these shows as I can't get enough of them. There was one time I was considering to become a crab fisherman due to watching too much Deadliest Catch.

#3 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

I loved Deadliest Catch, sorry to see it go, but, it was getting really dangerous for the guys. The good ones seemed to be retiring and while the bickering and drama would have landed this as a soap if it weren't for the lack of sex on the ships, the awesome work they did as a team was what made it a guilty pleasure for this old gal.

#4 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

We have watched Deadliest Catch a lot and really enjoyed it. I can see why they call it one of the most dangerous jobs around. There is no way I could be on one of those boats! I have to say that those King Crab sure look like they would be good though.

#5 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

You watch that show and suddenly those crab don't seem quite so expensive do they? The season after Phil Harris died that show lost a lot of it's appeal for me. My husband and I are huge fans of documentary's though so if you have seen any good ones add them to the thread.

#6 pilot2fly

pilot2fly

Shy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Wait, this was the last season of Deadliest Catch? Surely you're joking! Please don't let it be so. I love watching the Time Bandit each week and Jonathan and Andy are fun to see in action.

#7 workhomeunion

workhomeunion

Cordial

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

My favorite documentaries are the Planet Earth series. There were a total of 11 episodes, now in syndication, but it's one of those documentaries that you must own on DVD or Blu-ray, if you're into shows about nature and animals. I also like "Snapped," "Deadly Women" and "Deadly Men" which are true life documentaries on how crazy and cruel people can be. I realize there's not a lot of positive spin you could put on shows like this, but they are interesting nonetheless. Also, can't forget about "American Greed," a show about rougue entrepreneurs that steal millions from their unsuspecting clients. The end result is usually a long prison sentence or death.

#8 blackout23

blackout23

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I am pretty sure Swamp People could be considered a documentary. I have learned about the culture so much after watching it the past few years. Not only have I learned it is quite an entertaining show!

#9 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I agree. I saw Deadliest Catch late when they were showing repeats before the final season. I liked it more than I thought it would. I never knew of the commercial fishing world and everything those guys have to endure. It was truly eye-opening and entertaining. Another good show gone.

#10 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I love documentaries. Well, most of them anyway. When they start showing those "end of the world" style ones though I have to turn sometimes. Not because it's not entertaining. But because it's scary as some of the stuff they seem to show is actually already happening or has happened

#11 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

I just watched a great documentary on Netflix called, Steve Jobs: One last thing. It was really good, and what i liked most about it was they didn't make Jobs out to be a total saint, they told the truth about his personality, that he was a genius but a very difficult man.

#12 minutes

minutes

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'm a big fan of those industrial and construction documentaries. There are some on the food channels that show you how your favorite foods are made, things like candies, pizzas, soups, etc. It is interesting to see how clean and hygienic they are, and that is always good to see. They make millions and millions of products in such a short amount of time, so it is really cool to see the scale of their operation, and just how big the machinery is.

Skyscraper documentaries are also fun to watch because no normal person would ever be able to get access to the places the camera crew gets to go. They'll be at the top of a 100+ story tower that is unconstructed. You'll see the construction workers just walk around on narrow beams like it's nothing, even though they're so high up in the air. It's also fun to see how they lift supplies and materials up there, and how they deal with challenges like when their cranes break.

#13 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

I am normally not a big fan of animal documentaries but I just finished watching BBC's The Polar Bear and its fantastic. Its a little bit older but I must admit it was pretty fascinating. (Never had an idea about Polar bears hunting small whales when they go out of water to breathe air...)

#14 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I don't know why, but I love documentaries about meth or homeless people. I like anything about the underbelly of America. It's not every day that I get to see people do these horrible things. I am just fascinated by it. I also like anything about the food industry and how crooked large corporations are.

#15 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

I will watch all kinds of documentaries. Some of my friends think I am boring lol. But there are those that I deem boring for watching the kinds of documentaries that they watch, which I think are just dismal.

I like prison documentaries, gay documentaries about the gay lifestyle. Teenage ones.

#16 Meowmie

Meowmie

Noob

• 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

Deadliest catch is far from gone.  They were filming this past winter, the shows will air (I think) around April.   They are just on a different schedule than the typical network shows.  Their season for fishing starts in November for King Crab, then after Christmas they go after the opies.  If you really like this show you can follow your favorites on facebook to keep up to date.

After a few months for editing, the shows are ready for air in the spring. I can't wait.

#17 Justin

Justin

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

I found a good series on Amazon; America's Book of Secrets. It's mostly behind the scenes looks at government buildings like the White House and Pentagon, which I've always been interested in. There are a couple of good shows on construction and engineering too that cover aircraft carriers, the Chunnel and so on. Seeing just how epic of a scale some of those projects are can blow your mind.

#18 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

I found a good series on Amazon; America's Book of Secrets. It's mostly behind the scenes looks at government buildings like the White House and Pentagon, which I've always been interested in. There are a couple of good shows on construction and engineering too that cover aircraft carriers, the Chunnel and so on. Seeing just how epic of a scale some of those projects are can blow your mind.

I've been on a West Wing kick for about a year now, I am adding America's Book of Secrets  to my Watch List just for the White House episode. 

#19 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

I also really enjoy the prison documentaries. Don't ask why. Perhaps I was a lifer in a past life or something lol. But I find them so interesting, albeit a little dark at times.

#20 Justin

Justin

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I've been on a West Wing kick for about a year now, I am adding America's Book of Secrets  to my Watch List just for the White House episode. 

It's a pretty good show, you'll like it. Some of the security measures they have in place there will surprise you too.