• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:18 AM

I just want to say; there are some amazing documentaries out there on scamming, and on how to avoid scams - what to look out for, and such. I have recently been scowering the web for 419 scam documentaries. They mostly originate in Nigeria, and it is so interesting how people fall for these scams.

#62 devichan

devichan

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

I have a confession to make: I love disaster shows. They're one of my guilty pleasures. Yellowstone? Yep. New Madrid fault? I'll watch! Plane crash? Tuning in! (Although CNN has gone way off the deep end with the Malaysia Airlines conspiracy theories, and that one's too soon - they have to have found out what caused it for me to enjoy watching, and they haven't even found the plane yet for that one.)

My favorite shows are still the ones where the actual disaster hasn't happened yet, where it was so long ago it's out of living memory (think Krakatau there), or where good planning and thinking ahead prevents disaster. For example, the Hudson River plane landing wasn't a success because that crew was exceptional. It was a success because they were well-trained and followed their training. I can enjoy ones more recent or with losses, but to enjoy them we have to have learned something and improved safety as a result. Otherwise, I can't get into them.

Current favorite shows: Seconds From Disaster, Air Disasters, Mayday, and any show on hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, explosions... I know, it's sad, but they're so much fun to watch!

(I also am a regular Red Cross blood donor, because there are real people getting really hurt every day and the shows point that up rather nicely.)

Please tell me I'm not alone in this?

#63 STEPHiE08

STEPHiE08

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Documentaries are awesome. They are the real reality shows if you think about it.

My favorites are VICE, Motherboard, any HBO based ones, and National Geographic.

I am having a temptation to watch one now.

I watch a variety of topics, as well.

#64 Riesz

Riesz

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

I love documentaries, my favourites being BBC Life and Planet Earth.  I also enjoy Ancient Aliens as a bit of a guilty pleasure -- the topics and logic are ridiculous most of the time but I still find it entertaining!

Lately I've been thoroughly enjoying the reboot of Cosmos.  Neil deGrasse Tyson makes an excellent host!  I love how the series content spans space exploration, science history, and current technology.  Highly interesting show and definitely worth a watch!

#65 devichan

devichan

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Just found a new documentary series called "Ancient: Impossible." You know how all those alien shows say "How could the ancients have done this?" One of my pet peeves about that attitude is that it assumes our ancestors were, well, dumb. A lot dumber than us, and this despite the fact that most of our science started building on ideas that are thousands of years old.

"Ancient: Impossible" addresses this by showing just how our ancestors did the engineering they did to create the monuments and works. It's amazing! It gives our forebears rightful credit for their brains and creativity. I love that so much! It makes the aliens-did-it shows even more ridiculous and funny, and it's really worth the watch. I highly recommend it! I'll be binge-watching this one for sure. Good for H2 for giving us some real history for a change.

#66 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

I haven't watched any documentaries in so long. I really need to catch up! There's gotta be some crime documentaries I've yet too watch. Anyone got any recommendations?

#67 Skyspirit

Skyspirit

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

Sony Entertainment system offers a lot of channels which focus on education.  Whether cooking, housecleaning, shopping, etc., there are a number of channels that can help folks in a number of areas in life.  Although, YouTube, and Netflix along with Amazon also offer great documentaries, some of my favorites have been those dealing with climate change, lifestyles and storms.  To find a documentary with which one can relate  on any channel,  simply type the topic desired into a search screen, then click on any links of interest and/or add to your watch list.  

#68 Beabo

Beabo

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

One of my favorites has always been Air Crash Investigation as well. I believe it's also called Mayday in other countries! I really love it, even though it's tragic, because I'm constantly fascinated by how even the most minute of details can bring such a big machine crashing down. It really puts things into perspective. But then sometimes the crashes are also results of human errors and behaviors, and then you realize that an airplane can still be at the mercy of the operator. Fascinating stuff.

Does Anthony Bourdain's stuff count as documentaries too? Because if so, I love those as well. I really appreciate him for taking the time to learn the culture and the cuisine of the places he visits, and he's always so frank in his manner of speaking as well. Each time I watch an episode, I just yearn to go to the places he has gone to.

#69 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

There are very few documentaries I don't like. This is not to be confused with reality shows, with a documentary premise. Although I love the subject matter "The Curse of Oak Island" is incredibly boring. Documentaries I love include "Modern Marvels", "The States", and "How it was Made". I recently was turned onto "Mysteries of the Museum". What a fascinating show! I first found out about it, because I am a Don Wildman fan. He took over as host in season two. If you have never seen the show, it tells approximately five stories about all sorts of artifacts in museums. There have been segments on historical figures, and events, such as the Seattle fire, and the collapse of the "Galloping Girdy" bridge, to the supposed alien crash at Roswell. The show has been on at least five seasons. I cannot wait to see new episodes. Have you seen this show?

#70 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

I love many different types of documentaries, including:

BBC Documentaries

Louis Theroux 

Channel 4 Documentaries (UK) -always so cutting edge

Banged up Abroad

Crime Channels

National Geographic

Like someone else said, also prison and/or serial killers related documentaries. -and this is probably not all of them!

#71 FanGirl

FanGirl

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

I think one of the most engaging documentaries I ever watched was on Animal Planet, I loved Meerkat Manor, well up until Flower was killed and then it was hard for me to watch it anymore. I know with wild life shows there are things that can happen that are not good. I am very sensitive to the nature and animal shows so I try to be careful which ones I do watch. I don't think I had watched a nature based show that good since the early days of Wild Kingdom. I did enjoy the penguin one but I forgot what it was called, it has re-aired many times. I love the shots of the father penguin balancing the eggs in the snow.

I also LOVE the haunted documentaries, I know some of them are sensationalized and there are so many these days. But many of the better ones give you quite a good historical idea of things that happened at that point in time. It is pretty cool when a documentary about ghosts teaches you something and actually makes you want to go visit some of the more historical places. Ghosts documentaries got me to plan a vacation to Williamsburg VA and Gettysburg PA. Just so I could see what I might be able to experience. I was not disappointed.

The only other documentaries I have watched are the ones on 9/11 and even those I cannot bear to watch very long, it is just so sad. I get to thinking what was on the minds of the people in the pictures. I guess maybe I am a bit of a sap that way.

#72 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

There's nothing wrong with being a bit of a sap, it shows that you have a heart :) 

I also enjoy all sorts of documentaries, but the 9/11 make me cry. I really want to know everything but then I end up blabbing like a baby.

Animal planet sounds very familiar; I may check it out and see if it's something I've not watched before. Maybe I'm confusing it with David Attenborough's Planet Earth or I may have caught snippets of it. 

#73 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

I love that History channel has gotten in to scripted-type documentaries.  Last night I watched the first episode of Sons of Liberty, about Boston in the years leading up to the Revolutionary War.  While it's not really a documentary, it is fact based, and a whole lot more interesting than most documentaries.  I would love to see more of these types of shows.  It gives us a chance to see the historical figures as real people, with everyday concerns and issues.  It really allows us to understand them better - what their motivations and inspirations where, and what their problems were.  It makes history much more "real" and understandable - and certainly more enjoyable.

#74 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

I still feel for 911 victims and survivors, but I have gotten so tired of the documentaries. Every anniversary the History Channel and others seem to play them all day long. The same thing happened for years after the Challenger explosion. I know we should not forget them, but in some ways you have to move on.

#75 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:07 PM

I love documentaries, specially the VICE ones!  Totally loved the documentary talking about the suicide forest in Japan.  I found it so sinister, but amusing at the same time. So hard to think about those people who go there, park their car there and never  get out from there.  It's so sad! I enjoyed the documentary tho, it was so interesting!  Most of the VICE documentaries are so good, but also so shocking!

#76 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

One of my favourite documentaries was Supersize me starring Morgan Spurlock who for 30 days ate only McDonald's food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. What intrigued me about the documentary was seeing the drastic effect consuming this diet had on Spurlock's physical and mental health. This experiment caused long term damage to his body. This raises the question was it madness on Spurlock's part or some kind of sacrifice in order to get the message through on unhealthy eating? 

This programme also raises the issue of fast food outlets encouraging poor nutrition for it's own profit. Spurlock was regularly asked when he ordered if he would like to ''go large'' this all adds to the growing epidemic of obesity in the world. Will this ultimately lead to the fast food companies being held to account for their part in the populations declining health?  

Edited by muppet10, 27 March 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#77 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

I was interested in watching one called Forgotten Planet, on Netflix. It's about abandoned cities and other areas, which seemed really interesting to me. After reading the reviews, it doesn't sound as good. Apparently, the presentation leaves something to be desired. I might still check it out, but it's lower on my list now. In some of the reviews they mentioned another "better" one, something like Like after Humans or something like that, but I couldn't find anything about it. Maybe some of you have ideas for similar ones that I could check out.