• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

Am I the only one who's frustrated by the annoyingly stereotypical portrayal of gay couple? This show could've been so much better, but the Cam and Mitch couple really looks too fake for my liking. I'm just through Season 1 though.

That's part of the show's format. They're trying to portray a typical example of an atypical family, so to speak. Modern Family generally isn't meant to be perceived literally, but they tend to highlight each character's idiosyncrasies for comedic value. But all of that is really just a backdrop for the situations in which the characters find themselves and the way they react to them, which is what the show is really about.

#22 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

Not everyone can be expected to like every show, but I think you're missing the point of Modern Family. Personally I'm a big supported of gay rights, so I'm sensitive to the way gay people are portrayed in TV shows, movies, and the like. But the portrayal of Mitch and Cameron isn't stereotypical in a way that mocks their homosexuality. What I especially like about them is that apart from their flamboyant demeanor, they're no different than everyone else. They try their hardest to be good parents and provide as much love and care for their daughter as they can. I think what the show's writers are trying to do, at least in part, is demonstrate that even the most outwardly stereotypical (or just plain typical) members of subgroups have regular, human traits--traits that make them unique as well as what we call "normal"--and that ties in to the overall theme of the changing family structure.

We actually discussed the show in a university rhetoric class that I took recently. Aside from that, I've written countless papers about homosexuals in regard to family values and changing societal conditions, and the topic was a big talking point in my family-centered sociology course. I'm not saying that that makes me an expert on everything, but it allows me to sort of "read between the lines" on a lot of different matters. If nothing else, I have to commend the show for its ability to make me think about my own notions of what constitutes a "modern family."

#23 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

I think the purpose of sitcoms isn't to portray realistic characters, otherwise there would be no point to it. And I have read your comments, believe it or not, and I do understand why you don't care for the show (or at least its characters). But I also don't think anyone should derive values, beliefs, or perceptions from TV shows, least of all half-hour comedies. I've known a few gay people who have watched the show and don't really see any problem with its portrayal of gay couples, but then it is subjective.

I don't think "mock" is the right word, at all. I think it's a bit satirical in a way, actually. We're still at a point in history where homophobia is a huge issue, and unfortunately there are some people who wouldn't be accepting of a gay couple on television acting "normal." I think portraying Cam and Mitch in a stereotypical manner, but with their own individual traits and personalities, is a way of bridging the gap between forward, progressive thinkers and more traditionalist-minded people by showing them that even the most flamboyant, effeminate gay couples are capable of being a family. I do agree that they should be portrayed more realistically, but at least there's room for development.

#24 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

Eh, it is what it is. You either like it or you don't. There are far more stereotypical portrayals of different groups in other shows, but they're not causing the crumbling of society. At the end of the day, it's just a television show and no one's forcing you to watch it if you don't want to.

I do like how Jay is one of the more conservative characters, yet he's one of the most developed characters on the show. He's pretty firm in his beliefs, but he goes out of his way at times to keep an open mind. I wish there were more people like that in the world.

#25 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Where what? I'm just exaggerating for dramatic effect. :rolleyes:

But no; I appreciate disagreement, especially in forums like these. Otherwise, there'd be nothing to talk about. But I'm also not going to defend a well-established show for the sake of convincing people to watch it if they genuinely aren't interested.

And believe me - I appreciate a venue where people can express themselves without getting shot down at every turn. It seems like whenever I bring up something I dislike anywhere on the internet, I get so much flack for it that I wonder why I even bother to begin with. I still think Modern Family is one of the best and most unique shows on nowadays, and it doesn't even have to rely on sex scenes every five minutes a la HBO shows.

#26 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Phil is awesome, either way. Maybe not the most realistic character, but then I wouldn't really be interested in the show if everyone in it was 100% realistic. I started watching the show when it first came on, but then it started airing during other shows that I had been watching longer so I had to stop watching it. One of the funniest moments I remember from when I first started watching was when Phil shot Dylan with the airsoft gun.

#27 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I've only seen the first two seasons (and a few here and there from the third), but I'm generally up to date thanks to all the spoilers they show in the adverts. I'd like to get caught up as soon as possible before the new season premieres, but it depends on whether the DVD sets go on sale. I'm so behind on a lot of shows, though; it's hard to keep up when there's so much to see.

#28 Funke

Funke

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Am I the only one who's frustrated by the annoyingly stereotypical portrayal of gay couple? This show could've been so much better, but the Cam and Mitch couple really looks too fake for my liking. I'm just through Season 1 though.

#29 Funke

Funke

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

That's part of the show's format. They're trying to portray a typical example of an atypical family, so to speak. Modern Family generally isn't meant to be perceived literally, but they tend to highlight each character's idiosyncrasies for comedic value. But all of that is really just a backdrop for the situations in which the characters find themselves and the way they react to them, which is what the show is really about.

Well I'm not so sure about that. What's so atypical about the stereotypical portrayal of gay couple? Well obviously none of these are supposed to be taken "seriously" or something - but it's hardly funny and they could've really did a good job with a healthy portrayal there and they totally messed it up. There's nothing fresh about that either - for me at least it's annoying to see that being done over and over.

#30 Funke

Funke

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Not everyone can be expected to like every show, but I think you're missing the point of Modern Family. Personally I'm a big supported of gay rights, so I'm sensitive to the way gay people are portrayed in TV shows, movies, and the like. But the portrayal of Mitch and Cameron isn't stereotypical in a way that mocks their homosexuality. What I especially like about them is that apart from their flamboyant demeanor, they're no different than everyone else. They try their hardest to be good parents and provide as much love and care for their daughter as they can. I think what the show's writers are trying to do, at least in part, is demonstrate that even the most outwardly stereotypical (or just plain typical) members of subgroups have regular, human traits--traits that make them unique as well as what we call "normal"--and that ties in to the overall theme of the changing family structure.

We actually discussed the show in a university rhetoric class that I took recently. Aside from that, I've written countless papers about homosexuals in regard to family values and changing societal conditions, and the topic was a big talking point in my family-centered sociology course. I'm not saying that that makes me an expert on everything, but it allows me to sort of "read between the lines" on a lot of different matters. If nothing else, I have to commend the show for its ability to make me think about my own notions of what constitutes a "modern family."

Again - I'm missing nothing. I think you've not read my comments - I didn't call the show homophobic or anything - but the portrayal of gay couple to be annoyingly stereotypical. And heck, the show itself has a moment which explicitly reveals this, when Cam tries to be all "masculine" and fails, she says: “I mean, I know you’re gay. It’s obvious. The way you talk and walk and dress, and your theatrical hand gestures.” - if that isn't a gimme, then don't know what is. There are other healthy aspects of portraying them having a proper family life, unlike most shows - but I feel this could've been much better when it comes to the portrayal of gay couple. 

#31 Funke

Funke

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:17 AM

Comedies tend to mock everything, it is not isolated to sexuality. Personally I think that and the general unfunniness of the writing is why they all fail in the first or second season

I've read the Happy Endings thread here extensively and the main complain, way before the cancellation was announced, was the frantic way everyone acts. The characters themselves behave as if they are on speed and so do the storylines. Everything is over hyped to the point where you just can't suspend believe anymore

The portrayal of gays, race and all other social issues suffer from the same fate IMO

Well there are ways how these issues can be portrayed. Mocking sexuality, ethnicity etc - is hardly classy or funny. And I do believe comedians and writers have moral responsibility towards the viewers in handling these. Well obviously they have the "right" to show whatever crap they want to, but that's besides the point. For instance, if you watch British comedies - Alan partridge is a good example - he's homophobic, racist, etc. - a total d-bag - but he's the one being laughed at. That's the key difference IMO. 

As for Modern Family - my main complaint is that, personally, I think it ruined a great opportunity for a much healthier portrayal of gay couple - I just can't get past it, that's all. It's not as if their portrayal is offensive or anything, FYI. 

#32 Funke

Funke

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

It's not about portraying realistic character - but rather relying on stereotypes to evoke laughter. And to call the portrayal of gays in Modern Family satirical, is, well, bit of a stretch to put it lightly. And as for building bridges, doesn't make sense either - if anything they had a great opportunity to not stereotype and show gay couple are as diverse as anyone else - now that would be building bridges. Dunno what traditionalist people who would bother to watch a portrayal of homosexual couple would have against portraying them as any other people than the whole "alpha" male-female thing, which is probably what they already believe about gays if they buy into the stereotype.

#33 Funke

Funke

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Eh, it is what it is. You either like it or you don't. There are far more stereotypical portrayals of different groups in other shows, but they're not causing the crumbling of society. At the end of the day, it's just a television show and no one's forcing you to watch it if you don't want to.

I do like how Jay is one of the more conservative characters, yet he's one of the most developed characters on the show. He's pretty firm in his beliefs, but he goes out of his way at times to keep an open mind. I wish there were more people like that in the world.

Whoa, where did all that come from? Obviously I'm not going to protest and shut down a show or anything. I'm merely explaining why I find this aspect of the show frustrating. Neither do I expect it to crumble society or anything. I thought pointing out what we like/dislike about the shows is the whole point of having the forum here?

If I said "OMG this show sucks" or something, you'd have a valid point - that'd be me just posting drivel. I said no such thing though.

#34 Aberdeen

Aberdeen

Friendly

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

So...

I watched The New Normal last night and one of the main themes was them discussing a "dressing gown" the entire time and whether the little boy should be in a dress.

I'm currently watching the Modern Family right now, and out comes a traditional dressing gown for the baby....

Do these shows share the same costume closet or something? Are budgets that type? Let's just use the same plots across the board...

Sometimes I think they do. Not as deliberately as sharing wardrobe but they do it

#35 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

It gets really frustrating.

I know that everything can't be unique and a lot of themes will be repeated. That's just how it goes.

But in the exact same week? Just a day or two apart? Obviously planned and filmed at roughly the same time? Come on...

#36 venkat123456123

venkat123456123

Noob

• 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

i am laughing when i saw this show it is a excellent comedy show  had ever see :lol:

#37 Aberdeen

Aberdeen

Friendly

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Comedies tend to mock everything, it is not isolated to sexuality. Personally I think that and the general unfunniness of the writing is why they all fail in the first or second season

I've read the Happy Endings thread here extensively and the main complain, way before the cancellation was announced, was the frantic way everyone acts. The characters themselves behave as if they are on speed and so do the storylines. Everything is over hyped to the point where you just can't suspend believe anymore

The portrayal of gays, race and all other social issues suffer from the same fate IMO

#38 Torisaur

Torisaur

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'll admit I'm not fully caught up on this show, but it gives me a lot of entertainment when I happen to catch it running. 

I think Gloria and her family are the most hilarious of the show, such as the time she broke into the school to help Manny return an item to a girl's locker, and successfully escaping without getting caught, somehow. 

#39 MissPotato

MissPotato

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

I just love this show. It's my weekly does of unadulterated fun. I honestly can't think of a favorite member of the family... *Thinking... Thinking... Thinking...*

Oh. Wait. Phil. It just has to be Phil. God that man is either a genius or a dumbass. Or both. Whichever way, he's the best dad on TV.

#40 Ichigo Fraise

Ichigo Fraise

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

I just finished watching the latest season(I didn't have time because I had a busy month). Anyway, I am kind of pissed off that we never got to see what Phil's mom looks like let alone what she sounds like. I hope they show her in a flashback or something in a later episodes in the next season. :\