• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

I really like Manny, too. I like when they cast kids' parts well since there are so many child actors who couldn't act their way out of a wet paper bag. And I do agree that the family structures in the show, despite being diverse in relation to one another, are fairly stereotypical of "modern" families. It works for the story, though, so I'm not complaining or anything. I think the cast has excellent chemistry; you could swear that they really were related.

#42 hogwarts

hogwarts

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

I really need to get caught up on this show. It's funny but with a lot of heart, which makes it one of the most charming shows on television. I also love that they hired pretty great actors to play the kids. Sarah Hyland is one of the most promising young actresses in Hollywood right now, in my opinion, and I consistently enjoy all of Manny's scenes (in fact, I think he might be my favorite character in the whole show).

Also, re Cam and Mitch, I never really had a problem with their portrayal. I think that they basically took three stereotypical 'modern' family models - the flamboyant gay couple with the adopted child, the nuclear family with a bumbling father and uptight mother, and the older man with the young, hot wife - and just put them together. I think that the stereotype is part of the point, as someone said earlier.

#43 Silver Dragon

Silver Dragon

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't normally watch sitcoms, so it took me a few seasons to even check out Modern Family. Now it's become one of my favorite shows. The dialogue is very witty and the characters all seem believable, if a little exaggerated for comic purposes. One small thing I appreciate is that they don't have a cheesy laugh track in the background like some shows still use. I like to be able to figure out what's funny on my own :)

#44 4justice

4justice

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

This has to be one of the best, if not THE best comedies on tv. One of the things that really gets you is that the comedy is so sophisticated. Whoever rights up the stories for this show is really good at their job.

Also, this show gets coolness points for having Al Bundy on it.

#45 BWR

BWR

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

The show does have it's highlights. I for one actually think that Sofia Vergara is actually quite a comedienne! The writers really know how to (for want of a better word) "milk" the stars for every drop of their amazing talent. 

There's a strong feel of social satire, and the fact  that the witty lines are often disguised as simple dialogue. Quite entertaining and definitely very intelligent!

#46 4justice

4justice

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

What's shocking me is that no other network has tried to mimic Modern Family yet. But then again, maybe Modern Family is way too complex for anyone to successfully mimic. It's going to be sad when it finally leaves tv because it's not like quality shows are abundant.

#47 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

This show is really one of a kind. Every season has progressively gotten better! I only started watching it from season 2, but was completely hooked since then!

And how cute is Lily? She's pretty much the cutest child actor I've seen on TV, love watching her scenes.

#48 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

I would love to see Cam and  Mitch get a another child.  It would be fun to see how Lily would handle having a sibbling. Maybe not an infant but a toddler that could interact and play off of Lilly. A loveable little one that would follow a big sister around.

#49 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

It's sad to read about how Ariel Winter who plays the smart teen daughter with the glasses was being mistreated by her mother and her family basically treated her like a walking bank account.

She still has a couple of years until she's 18 and then she can tell them to go die in a hole.

#50 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

It's sad to read about how Ariel Winter who plays the smart teen daughter with the glasses was being mistreated by her mother and her family basically treated her like a walking bank account.

She still has a couple of years until she's 18 and then she can tell them to go die in a hole.

It was sad to read about that. Luckily, it seems like the Modern Family cast is very close and a solid support system for her. It must at least be comforting to know that she won’t ever have to rely on her family for any financial support.  

I watched the premiere because this show continues to be nominated and win a ton of emmys. I have watched the odd episode before, but I never got too obsessive about it. The proposal was really sweet. Sofia Vergara’s body is ridiculous. The show is always humorous and cute when I watch, but it just isn’t must-see television for me for some reason.

#51 TABL

TABL

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I have loved this show since the very first episode!  I think comedies are great to watch, because they put me in a good mood!  This show has so many different elements, and so many funny characters.  I can't even pick a favorite family member!  They work so well together.  Phil and Claire are just awesome together!  Phil always has me cracking up, even though it's like a dry humor.  Either way, I love this show!

And I love that I can catch it in reruns now!  I don't even mind watching the same episode a second time, I still laugh!

And yes, the drama around them middle girl is very sad indeed.  I'm glad the cast is supportive of her!

#52 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Now that this show is in syndication , I get to watch this show all over again. I have been a fan from the start. I had forgot haw small Lily small when the show started. There are so many details I missed the first time around. Has anyone else discovered new things about this show now that they are showing reruns?

#53 Kratos

Kratos

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Even if it has my childhood hero in it: Al the King Bundy, Modern Family is not for me. I tried and tried to like it, but I can't, a situation similar is with Charlie Sheen: I loved him in Two and a haft man, and I hate his new comedy Anger management. 

al-bundy.jpg

#54 Leo

Leo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

I love this show, definitely deserves the top 1 on my comedy list! They work well together overall but I have to say that my favorite character is Phil.. he is just like a little kid but with adult responsibilities is really nice to follow him in regular situations and see him deal with them. 

Even if it has my childhood hero in it: Al the King Bundy, Modern Family is not for me. I tried and tried to like it, but I can't, a situation similar is with Charlie Sheen: I loved him in Two and a haft man, and I hate his new comedy Anger management.

May I ask what didn't you like about the show? 

#55 Banana

Banana

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

So proud for MF for winning its fourth Emmy for Best Comedy! I've never doubted it, so far it's been one of the most consistent programs today. I love this season, too, and it's adorable that they focused on Cam's wedding :)

#56 Kratos

Kratos

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't like the premise of the show, the characters and their life story. This modern type of show were everybody is included and we all are a big nice family is not for me.

#57 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

Modern Family isn't must watch TV anymore. Right now it's just getting by on its rep and Emmy wins, IMO.  Instead of being fresh and funny, it's repetitive and tiresome with the same old gags.

#58 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Modern Family isn't must watch TV anymore. Right now it's just getting by on its rep and Emmy wins, IMO.  Instead of being fresh and funny, it's repetitive and tiresome with the same old gags.

I must say i politely disagree. I still could watch this TV show all day every day. Everytime I see Luke and the stupid things he does always make me laugh really hard :D

#59 Charli1908

Charli1908

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Ahhhh! I absolutely LOVE Modern Family! This show is hilarious and the characters connect/interact well together. I guess you could either call that good acting or good chemistry. This show really exemplifies THE modern American family. My favorite characters are Phil and Cameron! They are hilarious.

#60 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Ahhhh! I absolutely LOVE Modern Family! This show is hilarious and the characters connect/interact well together. I guess you could either call that good acting or good chemistry. This show really exemplifies THE modern American family. My favorite characters are Phil and Cameron! They are hilarious.

Just remembered the episode when Luke and Phil go to check out the basement of their house. Its hilarious when Phil cant go in because of a mouse squeak! Haha! :D