• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#261 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

I've been reading about Nightcrawler and I actually want to see it. it's about a guy with no particular career or direction who discovers the world of freelance cameramen who film crime scenes and sell the footage to the news. They use police scanners to catch crimes in progress and film them. Of course it's in a moral gray area because they're profiting from misery and possibly not helping people in emergency situations. Anyway it looks exciting and Jake Gyllenhaal actually hurt himself in the scene where he punches the mirror, because he really got into it.

#262 hanseung

hanseung

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

I watched the horror movie 'Trick 'r Treat' last night, with Suki from True Blood before she was famous. I don't want to be negative, but I thought it was really boring and I don't exactly recommend it to anyone. Maybe it would have been nicer as a short film or something similar. The plot was easy to decipher from the beginning, and the scares weren't really tactical. It seems to be an old movie so I'll forgive it.

#263 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

I've been reading about Nightcrawler and I actually want to see it. it's about a guy with no particular career or direction who discovers the world of freelance cameramen who film crime scenes and sell the footage to the news. They use police scanners to catch crimes in progress and film them. Of course it's in a moral gray area because they're profiting from misery and possibly not helping people in emergency situations. Anyway it looks exciting and Jake Gyllenhaal actually hurt himself in the scene where he punches the mirror, because he really got into it.

I've seen this movie advertised all over IMDB and at the same time that it has a high rating on there, it looks and sounds like a movie that I'm going to have to check out, especially with that nice description that you gave it. Doesn't sound like your typical movie plot at all and I'm quite a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal since watching Donnie Darko. There's no doubt in my mind that he honed his role in the film. 

#264 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

I didn't know much about Nightcrawler.  I remember hearing about it when I came out.  Honestly all I knew was the title and, like many I'm sure, I assumed it had something to do with the Xmen character Nightcrawler..lol.  Once I found out it wasn't related to that at all, I kinda lost interest, but I am a fan of Gyllenhaal's work and it looks like the movie is getting some good praise, so it might be worth checking out sometime.

The last movie I saw was Interstellar.  Visually, that movie was pretty impressive, but I was a bit disappointed.  I'm a fan of Nolan's work and I just feel like this last movie didn't really live up to some of his other works.  So far, my favorite movie of his has to be Memento.  I haven't see the Prestige, but I heard that's also up there with his best works.  I don't regret watching Interstellar, but I had much higher expectations.

#265 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

Favorite movie is 'As Good As It Gets'.

#266 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Rewatched Blood and Bone, a movie with Michael Jai White. Great for anyone that likes the mma style kickerbox fight scene, get your dose of martial arts street fighting in one movie, with decent acting. a really underrated movie, not many peoplee seem to know about it sadly.

#267 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

Rewatched Blood and Bone, a movie with Michael Jai White. Great for anyone that likes the mma style kickerbox fight scene, get your dose of martial arts street fighting in one movie, with decent acting. a really underrated movie, not many peoplee seem to know about it sadly.

Never heard of it, but I'll be sure to check it out.  I'm a huge fan of martial arts movies and they are so hard to find these days.  Nobody really wants to go through the trouble of filming real martial arts scenes.  I suppose it's easier to just generate these scenes on a computer so then you don't actually need talented martial artists for your movie.  I guess it's hard for directors to find people who can act and also are good at martial arts.

To be honest, for me, the story doesn't have to be anything great at all.  As long as the action is good, I can stomach a crappy story.  If I want to watch a movie for story, I'll go see something else.  If I want action, then that's all the movie really needs.

#268 hanseung

hanseung

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

I watched The Butterfly Effect starring Ashton Kutcher for the first time the other night - it wasn't bad. It kind of made me think about my life and what would be different had I made different decisions and choices in the past. I think that, somewhere out there, there are all of our alternate realities that would've happened if we had chosen a different path. It was interesting.

#269 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:07 AM

I watched The Butterfly Effect starring Ashton Kutcher for the first time the other night - it wasn't bad. It kind of made me think about my life and what would be different had I made different decisions and choices in the past. I think that, somewhere out there, there are all of our alternate realities that would've happened if we had chosen a different path. It was interesting.

That was a decent movie.  The concept was pretty cool to think about.  And yeah, it definitely makes you think about the decisions you make.  It would be cool if we had the ability to see the consequences of our decisions before making them, but I guess that takes out part of the fun of living life.  At the time, I remember not thinking too much of Kutcher as an actor.  He had not really taken on too many serious roles, but I think he did alright, considering he started on That 70s show.

I also believe there are parallel universes out there where maybe I exist, but I have a different job or live in a different country, or something interesting like that.  It's pretty trippy to think about.  I also think that's what explains deja vue.  Whenever we experience deja vue, it's actually us breifly pearing into an alternate universe.  Couldn't tell you how or why it happens, but I think it makes total sense.

#270 PennySafe

PennySafe

Shy

• 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

I just watched Chris Rock "Top 5".  Do not go see this dumb movie!  The plot was pointless and it had some disgusting sex scenes that probably were supposed to be the funniest parts of the movie (but weren't).   Chris Rock is smarter than this and he should be ashamed of himself for this.  And the guest celebrities should be ashamed too. 

#271 shaybearlv

shaybearlv

Cordial

• 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:35 AM

Oh my goodness!  I have not seen that movie in so long!  I too often wonder how my life would be had I made different decisions.  I know I always have said if I could go back and do things differently I would, but in reality, I can't say that I actually would.  I can just be thankful that some of those decisions have made me stronger and molded me to the person that I am today.  

#272 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:22 AM

I just got done watching As above so Below. That is the movie about the catacombs? I absolutely loved the movie. I knew that it would be good though, due to the fact that when I first saw Occulus, and As Above So Below ran in the trailers, I was scared even then of the trailer lol. I would suggest that anyone watch this movie, unless you don't like horror movies. It is more of a psychological horror though. It also has sprinklings of violence.

#273 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

I actually really like that genre of movies, so I'll look for Blood and Bone. I wonder why martial arts movies aren't as popular as they used to be. I remember when Van Damme movies used to have mainstream popularity. Now you don't see many expensive fighting movies.

#274 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

I actually really like that genre of movies, so I'll look for Blood and Bone. I wonder why martial arts movies aren't as popular as they used to be. I remember when Van Damme movies used to have mainstream popularity. Now you don't see many expensive fighting movies.

It's because there aren't as many great Martial Artist around in the US mainstream, you have to look towards the thai /general asian market for really good martial artist movie like ong bak or Chocolate. 

#275 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

It's because there aren't as many great Martial Artist around in the US mainstream, you have to look towards the thai /general asian market for really good martial artist movie like ong bak or Chocolate. 
Do you remember in the 1990's ,it was a big deal for a new Van Damme or Steven Seagal movie to come out and people would go to the mall and line up to see them? Now you have to watch them online on Asian sites. Times have really changed.

#276 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:40 AM

Do you remember in the 1990's ,it was a big deal for a new Van Damme or Steven Seagal movie to come out and people would go to the mall and line up to see them? Now you have to watch them online on Asian sites. Times have really changed.

Hehe I remember when they were all the rage! Now that I'm older and my tastes have changed; I look back and realise those movies were more brawn than substance, I just cringe LOL Now I can't even bear to see those guys flash up on TV, If I do I swiftly move onto something else!

#277 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:14 PM

I remember those days too... LOL seems like a centuries ago.  Van Damme still trys to appear in movies, he's been on the Expendables, but he is tired out.  I never really liked Steven Seagal movies but a lot of my friends did.  During that time it was all about American Martial Arts movies.  LOL  I still drag one out every now and then and watch one.  Yesterday I even pulled out an old Arnold Schwarzenegger movie... Commando.

#278 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Been watching a lot movies lately!  Has anyone watched ''the enemy'' yet?  Man, that movie at first seems to make no sense, but if you are good with details you realize the story is more complicated and sinister than it actually seems. I liked the metaphors they used, specially with the spiders and so on! In the end Jake's character turned out to be a psychotic narcissistic unfaithful guy who was just very afraid of commitment, lol. Nice way to portray it tho.

#279 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

I just got done watching As above so Below. That is the movie about the catacombs? I absolutely loved the movie. I knew that it would be good though, due to the fact that when I first saw Occulus, and As Above So Below ran in the trailers, I was scared even then of the trailer lol. I would suggest that anyone watch this movie, unless you don't like horror movies. It is more of a psychological horror though. It also has sprinklings of violence.

I watched that movie some days ago, and let me tell you it was excellent!  It was more about psychological horror than anything, but the scene with the demons was rather scary!  Even more scary to those who are so afraid of enclosed places, hehehe!  I know I was!  If you liked that film, then watch the Babadook, it is mostly psychological horror and almost no violence, but it is good!!! Very good!  It's a very fine horror movie!!  I really recommend it!  No gore, but still very scary.