23 replies to this topic

#1 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Showtime Drama Series 2007

Pot-selling single mom turned danger junkie Nancy Botwin's desperate circumstances keep calling for more and more desperate measures. Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Mary-Louise Parker stars in this outrageously addictive hit series.

Posted Image

#2 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for making the thread! Turns out, Weeds is classified as a dark comedy. I don't know if you want to move this or not, I've always considered it a drama but it is frequently hilarious.

That description's a bit off, though. "A mother resorts to selling marijuana to keep her family afloat after the death of her husband." would be appropriate, in a nutshell. It's grown far beyond that, though.

Anyway, this is the final season (season 8) and I'm gonna miss Weeds! I think the first episode of this season was spectacular and pretty much par for the course. Poor Andy is really losing it. And Nancy! Hopefully she won't be stuck in the hospital for too many episodes. I want to see her in action.

#3 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

I got the description from IMDB, I'll edit with the official description from Showtime

Moved to the Comedy Forum

Thanks

#4 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

I'm going to be really excited to watch this one from start to finish (like I'm doing with Desperate Housewives now) once it ends. I caught just enough of the first season to know it's a really, really good show!

#5 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm so behind... I forgot Weeds started again! I never finished watching last season, is this season worth the time to watch?

#6 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Love the show and happy to see that it is bad. I actually made a personal connection during the last episode with the cancer patients and its good to see her turning a new leaf, even if its for a brief moment. Plus, I am not really fond of clowns.

#7 Crinkle

Crinkle

Friendly

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

I was surprised at myself when I actually liked this series. I was disappointed when I could no longer find it when I flipped through the channels. Like others, I am terribly behind and need to see some catch-up series if and when it comes back.

#8 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I know you can catch old seasons on Netflix but I think for the current one you need to visit the website for the station that airs it. I am not even sure which station it is either, my husband takes care of the recordings in our house I just work the remote.

#9 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Weeds airs at 10pm est on Showtime for those of you wondering. Past seasons are on Netflix.

My opinion is that, yes, it's definitely worth catching up on. This season, though it's only two episodes in, is great and actually a little heartwarming. Plus, it's the last season of the series so you might as well!

I don't care for clowns either, especially skeezy ones like that one. I'm glad she put him in his place.

#10 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Nancy is still such a hard ass and I love it. Her scene in the car with Silas and Tim was awesome. It showed that even though she's turning over a new leaf, she still isn't taking shit from anyone.

I was totally shocked when Shane came in with the cops to arrest Tim! I thought he was gonna be a solo vigilante. That kid was well on his way to becoming a serial killer, so I'm glad he's being taken care of.

#11 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Yes, I've heard this was the last season. Apparently I need to jump on Netflix and check it out; it's one of those shows I've wanted to see but never got around to.

#12 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

I did not know that its the last season, that is kind of a bummer in itself. There are too many little sitcoms like this that are only around for such a short time but comparing it to the follow base I can not understand why.

#13 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

I'm going to start watching Weeds from the beginning this fall and I can't wait. From everything I've heard about it, I think I'm really going to get into this show.

Edna, I agree. Eight seasons doesn't seem like enough, especially when you consider how many people are addicted to it.

#14 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

I am sure you will enjoy it, tons of comedy along with random madness. I love the brother in law, he is by far my second favorite only topped by the lady herself.

#15 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Good riddance...I am glad it is over. To anyone who is preparing to watch it: stop watching it after season 3.

If they would have ended season 3 and then picked it up in a new location with her trying to start over and letting the hilarity ensue it would have gone on for at least 7 more seasons.

The first 3 seasons were masterful. This was one of my favorite shows on TV but then after the fire it just became so random and stupid to follow. I lose interest but had invested so much time into it that I had to watch the rest of the seasons. They had their moments but frankly season 3 should have been the end of it.

#16 tierapatt50

tierapatt50

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

I love Weeds and I do not even partake in drugs or alcohol but I think the show was really good. On one hand I am sad to see it go but on the other hand the episodes were getting kind of stale like they were running out of new material. I think once it got to the season following the killing of Pilar by Shane it sort of got boring until the last episode when Nancy goes to jail.

#17 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I miss Weeds SO much!  But, I do have to agree the last few seasons were pretty dry and redundant.  I wish she had stayed in suburbia, the series would have been so much more interesting.  I think it got kind of far fetched and unrealistic when they began travelling around the world, to trailer parks, and the beach, and NYC, etc.  It was kind of like Desperate Housewives with a twist when the series first began and I LOVED that about it.  I watched the entire series just out of loyalty (because I was such a fan), but they definitely dragged it out for way too many seasons. 

#18 mochajoeee

mochajoeee

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

I love Weeds and I do not even partake in drugs or alcohol but I think the show was really good. On one hand I am sad to see it go but on the other hand the episodes were getting kind of stale like they were running out of new material. I think once it got to the season following the killing of Pilar by Shane it sort of got boring
until the last episode when Nancy goes to jail.

You said it perfectly. I love the show and all the early episodes. But then it just seems like they started dragging it out and got boring. I'm glad they ended it, it was the shows time. I do miss it, but it just wasn't enjoy able anymore. It had a great run. I still watch the early seasons on Netflix.

#19 mrscilluffo

mrscilluffo

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

I used to LOVE Weeds- but after they moved out of Agrestic, it started to get too drawn out and the story lines kept getting recycled, and Nancy seemed to become way more selfish than she had been previously. I hate to say it, but I really started to have a hard time liking her, so I stopped watching during the last season. It's the perfect example of a show that lost its charm by going on for too many seasons. 

#20 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

I miss the Botwins! I really loved the way the series ended and was glad that they ended with a Rilo Kiley song. I just wish I could check in on them. It's sad when a series as good as this one just sort of falls apart at the end. It was the right time to end it and I am excited for Jenji's other projects such as Orange is the New Black.