Dexter

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 SevenWays

SevenWays

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

Yes, Grodner, by the end Dexter had caused, directly or indirectly, the death of quite a few people outside of his rules. You can justify it and regulate it as much as you want, but murder will always be messy, and there will always be loose ends and unexpected consequences. For Dexter it was impossible to stay clean, and in the end he paid with Debra's death and with that awful empty stare.

That's why I didn't really dislike the finale. The whole season wasn't great, but it was better than Season 7. Though I would have happily traded Dexter's death for Debra's life, I adored her character and the actress was wonderful.

#102 Skyspirit

Skyspirit

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

I just found this thread so forgive me for being a bit late.  I had mixed feelings about the finale.  I didn't think it was as suspeseful as I had expected it to be though to be honest, it was shocking.  I was quite surprised it ended the way it did.  I thought perhaps there would be some retribution for Dexter's crimes both when following "the Code," and outside the "Code," as well.  It saddened me that Debra died and the fact there is a child involved now with two serial killers, well, can that ever really be a good thing? I mean wherever they make their new life, Agentina, wherever, now two Serial Killers are raising a third.  Makes me wonder if in like ya know 25 years, there will be a spin-off w/little Harrison - and what a great little actor he is indeed'- lmao

Edited by Skyspirit, 14 September 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#103 Kik

Kik

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

I loved the series but I really didn't like the last couple seasons. The introduction of Hannah ruined it for me. The whole "Dexter finds love" was kind of "been there done that" and I was tired of the storyline by that time. My main issue that by the end it became more about a manhunt for Hannah then for Dexter! 

I hated the ending though. I think it was kind of a slap in the face. Personally, I think it would have been better if Dexter had died in the boat crash or if they had just left it up for the viewers to decide. I also didn't like what they did with Deb. I don't think she should have died at all. And then Dexter leaving Harrison with Hannah just seemed silly. She's a wanted serial killer and was recently being actively hunted. I can't really buy that that was the best thing for Harrison. He should have been sent to live with his grandparents OR Deb, if she lived of course :(

#104 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

I agree, I think Harrison should have stayed with Deb! If hse hadn't died of course.  I honestly wish Hannah had died instead of Deb, same with Dexter.  That would have been a better ending with more credibility, not like this show had any after the third season...  I think the writers screweded up, but by killing those two and allowing Deb to live they'd have kinda redeemed themselves. But oh well... we don't always get what we want :(

#105 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

I love Dexter! My favorite was the one with Julia Stiles! Anyway, yeah there was something screwed up with letting Deb die. While I love Dexter, I didn't like the part where he got away with his killings. Although I didn't like the later seasons, I continued watching primarily because I wanted Dexter to be found out! Not just discovered but somehow put on trial to answer for his crimes. No need for messy trial or something, but just a semblance that Miami Metro caught and arrested him!

#106 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

Definitely one of my favorite shows.  What a ride the entire time.  I agree with a lot of you in that I didn't like the way it ended, and I hated when Deb was killed off.  I think Dexter dying would have been a good way to go.  Yes he did deserve to pay for all his killings, but I'm not sure that would have been an exciting ending, even though that's what should have happened to him.

The first few sesaons of the show were definitely still some of my favorites of all TV shows.  I actually rewatched the first season not too long and fell in love with the show all over again.  I think this is the type of show that is just hard to keep fresh and original for so many seasons.  I kinda wish it would have ended sooner and on a higher note.  I hate it when great shows get dragged through the mud simply because they insist on adding season after season after season.  Not all shows need 6+ seasons.  Some stories can be told in 2 seasons, and they can be told really well.

Ah well, I still think it was one hell of a ride.  It could have still ended better, but I definitely enjoy it while it lasted.

#107 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Definitely one of my favorite shows.  What a ride the entire time.  I agree with a lot of you in that I didn't like the way it ended, and I hated when Deb was killed off.  I think Dexter dying would have been a good way to go.  Yes he did deserve to pay for all his killings, but I'm not sure that would have been an exciting ending, even though that's what should have happened to him.

The first few sesaons of the show were definitely still some of my favorites of all TV shows.  I actually rewatched the first season not too long and fell in love with the show all over again.  I think this is the type of show that is just hard to keep fresh and original for so many seasons.  I kinda wish it would have ended sooner and on a higher note.  I hate it when great shows get dragged through the mud simply because they insist on adding season after season after season.  Not all shows need 6+ seasons.  Some stories can be told in 2 seasons, and they can be told really well.

Ah well, I still think it was one hell of a ride.  It could have still ended better, but I definitely enjoy it while it lasted.

It's one of my favorite shows, too! I like Dexter's character so much that I continued to watch even if the later seasons seemed to drag on. As I previously mentioned, while I love Dexter, I kept watching just to see if Miami Metro will catch him. I'm more interested in getting the reaction of everyone in the precinct. 

The ending of Dexter just leaving all behind and resurfacing in I forgot which part in the country just doesn't seem fair! I have no questions about his character saved for being a serial killer, but there should have been justice!

Oh, I also didn't like the Deb developing feelings for Dexter bit! I would have wanted for her character to be just the plain sister with no love angles. When the love angle was introduced, that's when I started to dislike Deb's character. While Deb wasn't my favorite character, I also didn't think she needed to die in the show. She should have gotten Harrison, and not Hannah!

#108 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

For me, Dexter's heyday was when his wife was killed and he took out her killer. Hannah was definitely hot (too hot for Dexter, in my opinion), but her story line was weak. It should not have lasted two seasons that is for sure. I have always been disappointed (after season one or two) of Dexter's lack of true aggression. When he held Knowles prisoner in the cabin, he shows how angry he can be. Knowles even tells him he needs to control his anger. Then we hardly ever see him get like that again. His method of killing may have been logical, but he's not killing purely to fill a quota, but to quench a killing thirst. I can understand the kill rooms, but I would think a true serial killer would have been more savage in his killing, but he thrusts that knife in the heart one time, every time, and that's the end of it. Doesn't sound like it would satiate a true killer. 

#109 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

I loved Dexter from start to finish, and place it very high on my list of all time favourite TV shows  :) One of the reasons I liked it so much was the fact that it never got too gory just for the sake of it. I'm not at all squeamish, but I think sometimes movies/tv shows over use gore and blood solely for dramatic effect, not to serve any purpose as such. 

Having said that, I wasn't too thrilled with the ending! Maybe because I'm such a hopeless romantic, I would've liked to see Dexter, Hannah and Harrison sailing off into the sunset to a happily ever after! It would have been nice to have had a clear cut, definitive ending too.

I can't wait to watch it all over again, back to back  :)

#110 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

For me, Dexter's heyday was when his wife was killed and he took out her killer. Hannah was definitely hot (too hot for Dexter, in my opinion), but her story line was weak. It should not have lasted two seasons that is for sure. I have always been disappointed (after season one or two) of Dexter's lack of true aggression. When he held Knowles prisoner in the cabin, he shows how angry he can be. Knowles even tells him he needs to control his anger. Then we hardly ever see him get like that again. His method of killing may have been logical, but he's not killing purely to fill a quota, but to quench a killing thirst. I can understand the kill rooms, but I would think a true serial killer would have been more savage in his killing, but he thrusts that knife in the heart one time, every time, and that's the end of it. Doesn't sound like it would satiate a true killer.

Well, I guess you have a point right there, after all he is shown as a serial killer in disguise who can't seem to be able to control his thirst to kill, but tries to justify himself by just killing the ''bad'' ones, thus not going on a killing spree. I guess that is why he controlled himself so much; he was a very careful killer: very smart and logical. That is something that is seen in a lot serial killers, hence some never get caught. But yeah, he held back a lot most of the time, I thought it was a bit odd as well.

Edited by Sefarad, 12 February 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#111 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

I don't know why everyone here seems to think Dexter died in the final episode.  Look this up according to online sources that I have read the character faked his death in the final episode.  At the very end of the episode it was revealed that he was still very much alive.  Was this scene cut out of the episode when it aired on TV, sorry don't have Showtime so didn't actually see this when it aired.  But from what I have read this is how the episode went down with Dexter still alive after staging his death to make everyone believe he had died.

#112 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

If I'm not mistaken Dexter ended up  living the rest of his days as some sort of Lumber jack?  Or so I heard, honestly I never watched the ending, I started to lose interest when Hannah showed up.  The show had stopped seeming smart and coherent since season 4, so it was about time I had stopped watching it.  I might check that episode on Popcorn Time tho, it'd be interesting to see it with my own eyes ;)   By the way, I don't dislike Dexter, actually I love the first 3 and and half seasons :)