• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

For those who wish to discuss Matthew Perry's newest show, you now have a home!

#2 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I love Matthew Perry so I decided to check this show out for him. I probably wouldn't have watched past

I don't really need Ryan's work environment, the therapy sessions are hilarious on their own

#3 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Is the show an ensemble? The show is centered around Ryan and everyone reacts to him

I don't know how long they can do that. MP is funny but he is not too funny that a show should be all about him

I like the therapy sessions better than the work environment but I don't mind the work environment scenes. They have to flesh out the side characters more but it is only on its 3 episode so I am giving it time

#4 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Is the show an ensemble? The show is centered around Ryan and everyone reacts to him

I don't know how long they can do that. MP is funny but he is not too funny that a show should be all about him

I like the therapy sessions better than the work environment but I don't mind the work environment scenes. They have to flesh out the side characters more but it is only on its 3 episode so I am giving it time

I hope they flesh out the other characters beyond Ryan. The group needs to grow as a whole for the show to sustain. That said, I really liked the last episode where his two lives collided. It was still all about Ryan, but it gave me more John Cho!

#5 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

John Cho is why they need to keep the work environment. I am hoping they flesh Steven out more. Make him gay or something because the guy is all up in Ryan's face. Makes me think he wants some of that

Seriously, it'll be a much better show if the side characters were given some layers. Ryan's grief or lack thereof will get old really quickly if it remains the focal point much longer

#6 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think Mr. K is my favorite. He is so creepy and it cracks me up...."Permission to follow Ryan around town in my Chevette?"

I like the show but just like his other ones they won't last. They center it around him and his humor too much and while I think he is hysterical, it can go stale very quickly if he has no one supporting him. John Cho does a good job and the therapy group is funny but we are a couple of episodes deep and no other characters have developed to have a sense of self.

#7 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

I think Mr. K is my favorite. He is so creepy and it cracks me up...."Permission to follow Ryan around town in my Chevette?"

I like the show but just like his other ones they won't last. They center it around him and his humor too much and while I think he is hysterical, it can go stale very quickly if he has no one supporting him. John Cho does a good job and the therapy group is funny but we are a couple of episodes deep and no other characters have developed to have a sense of self.

The best part of the pilot was that Ryan a rurally connected with Owen. Owen was interesting without being gimmicky. Why can't we have more of him? The show has showcased Sonia and George, but it ended up being more about Ryan in the end, so I don't know.

What would a Mr. K centric episode look like?

#8 Caffery

Caffery

Friendly

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Matt/Ryan has top billing so I am prepared for all the storylines to be centered around him

What I can't concile with is the premise. A death of a loved one is not very funny no matter how beloved the lead is.

They have some funny lines at the therapy sessions but Ryan comes off as more callous than funny

It does work in some cases - Stephen using the loss of Ryan's wife to reel in a potential client was funny but I really like John Cho so that is a factor

I agree with Drunken Lunchbox, the show won't last past season 1. Matthew's goofiness is already overdone and it is only been 4 episodes

#9 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

I love him but Ryan is like Chandler on speed. Either Matt is trying too hard or the direction is horrible

It is risky basing a comedy show on death but so far I think it is working. I find the group therapy sessions hilarious

#10 Drunken Lunchbox

Drunken Lunchbox

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

I think instead of centering it around him it should be rebranded/renamed as "Group" or something. This will allow other characters to develop and not make it like a circus monkey on crack trying to make everything funny and it just doesn't work. Mr. Sunshine doesn't seem so much more different than this show.

#11 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

What do you guys think of Ryan seeing his wife's ghost?

IMO, they jumped the gun big time with that plot. Cute scenes between them and I know it is supposed to show tbe journey in his mourning process but the show was already campy enough

#12 Collin1000

Collin1000

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

It is risky basing a comedy show on death but so far I think it is working. I find the group therapy sessions hilarious

^This, exactly.
First few episodes of the show I was like "nope... this isn't working for me". It felt like the show was confused about what it wanted to be. It wasn't all comedy, it wasn't all sad drama - it was an awkward dramedy but they couldn't get the mix right. It took some time, but I think the show is really starting to take off well, and I'm liking it.

#13 Collin1000

Collin1000

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Did anybody watch tonight's episode? If not, don't read on... otherwise....

This episode nailed it. I thought it was PERFECTLY funny when it needed to be, and PERFECTLY sad when it needed to be. They also did some amazing charecter development of Mr. K. - I'm glad he is finally turning into a real member of the group and we are starting to learn more about him. Waiting on Yolonda. I can not remember one moment of the episode that I did not like - it's official, this show is now on my TiVo Season Pass list. Everything was so perfect - the sexual tensions Ryan has with some people in the group jokingly played, the development of Mr. K, all of it. I'm really not a fan of the "dead Janie haunting people" moments, but I'll get over it.

#14 Caffery

Caffery

Friendly

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

This episode nailed it. I thought it was PERFECTLY funny when it needed to be, and PERFECTLY sad when it needed to be. They also did some amazing charecter development of Mr. K. - I'm glad he is finally turning into a real member of the group and we are starting to learn more about him. Waiting on Yolonda. I can not remember one moment of the episode that I did not like - it's official, this show is now on my TiVo Season Pass list. Everything was so perfect - the sexual tensions Ryan has with some people in the group jokingly played, the development of Mr. K, all of it. I'm really not a fan of the "dead Janie haunting people" moments, but I'll get over it.

I couldn't watch till later last night

I agree with you, this episode was a vast improvement from the previous ones.

I love people mistaking Ryan for Rachel Maddow. Nice continuity there

I am not liking Lauren so much, they are trying too hard with her

It is unfortunate that Ryan's wife is dead because they actors play off each other well

Anne and Mr K are my one true couple of Go On

#15 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

It is unfortunate that Ryan's wife is dead because they actors play off each other well

I think we'll continue to see more of their interaction in flashbacks and "spiritual encounters," though, so I think it's okay that she's technically dead. I agree that they work really well together and I hope they continue showing her.

As for the rest of the show, I really don't know how long it'll last, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

#16 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

I think we'll continue to see more of their interaction in flashbacks and "spiritual encounters," though, so I think it's okay that she's technically dead. I agree that they work really well together and I hope they continue showing her.

As for the rest of the show, I really don't know how long it'll last, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

That is what I am afraid of, that the ghost is going to become a glorified guest star. It would have been so much better if they used her in flashbacks as opposed to a ghost or spiritual being

#17 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Completely agree with you. There was the perfect amount of Ryan, group, and John Cho development. The scene where he tries on clothes and hides? Brilliant. And the Anne and Mr. K bonding was cute and hilarious. I already enjoyed the show, but this episode completely hit it out of the park (just like Pablo Sandoval... Go Giants!)

#18 Collin1000

Collin1000

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

I think they work well together, yes, but I'm just not a fan of the creepy way they are using her. I wish they would stop it. Maybe it just creeps me out... I can't tell. I am seriously not a fan of the whole "dead wife" moments. As a previous episode said... SHE-DAED. Let's keep it that way.

I love people mistaking Ryan for Rachel Maddow. Nice continuity there

This is one of those rare shows (Another that comes to mind is Arrested Development) that really rewards it's longtime viewers with good continuity and running jokes, which I appreciate in a show. Good writers and it means they also have long-term goals. They setup a joke in one episode to use it in another.

That is what I am afraid of, that the ghost is going to become a glorified guest star. It would have been so much better if they used her in flashbacks as opposed to a ghost or spiritual being

I agree. I would have been OK with flashbacks, but the way they are doing it now, using her as a "ghost" just seems strange and creepy. It feels very out of place to me. I know I'm harping on it, but it really does bug me!

#19 Caffery

Caffery

Friendly

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

Well, it is only the first half of its premier season. Lets give it a whole season to see how they do continuity wise

I didn't know it was going to be pre empt as NBC promoted the Comdey lineup as usual

#20 Collin1000

Collin1000

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I didn't know it was going to be pre empt as NBC promoted the Comdey lineup as usual

Yeah, I was majorly disappointed not to see it on Tuesday night. Or How I Met Your Mother on Monday, for that matter. I was hearing radio ads for Go On and HIMYM that morning on my drive, but when I got home and checked my TiVo, I had Sandy coverage instead. I understand why though - the events unfolding were much more important than the fictional drama of Ryan King. :P