• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I think it has potential. They need to get rid of some of the crazy (clothes, the doll) and make Mindy a little more down to earth. Girl is a doctor. She's not gonna go make a fool out of herself at a wedding like that. In private, with her girls, yes. But at the wedding? Not so much. I'm gonna give it a few more episodes to see if it finds it's groove.

#2 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

That is the thing Jenners. Mindy represents the single smart women. She shouldn't be caught dead making a fool of herself in that fashion but it is a tv show so that's ok but when you weight in that it was at her ex's wedding. The getaway ride was for humor but I don't know of it worked. I guess she couldn't have swam with a doll if she rode away in a car fit for a doctor

Rachel Greene did the wedding thing on Friends and it was funny not to mention endearing.

I think they're taking too much of the romantic comedy stuff and making it real. I'm hopeful that they'll find their groove and we wont shudder at everything Dr. Mindy does.

Rachel Greene made everything endearing....*I miss Friends*

I am not that shallow, really

There is nothing wrong with being shallow

Seriously. Many of us here admit to watching the CW. No room to judge. Though I have to say, your dislike of gingers confuses me. My first boyfriend (I was 4, he was 5) was a ginger and I've had a soft spot every since.

#3 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I didn't know what boyfriend and girlfriend was when I was four. I could hardly string along a sentence lol

I didn't want it to seem I was criticizing the show solely on wardrobe. Although that was what I was doing

Both my older cousins were quite a bit older than me and had boyfriends. I also thought I could drive. :lol

#4 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Seriously. Many of us here admit to watching the CW. No room to judge. Though I have to say, your dislike of gingers confuses me. My first boyfriend (I was 4, he was 5) was a ginger and I've had a soft spot every since.

Haha are you associating being shallow with watching CW shows because one of their only merits is casting ridiculously good looking people? That's the only reason I watch them anyways. I'm a ginger cheerleader too. The first man I ever loved has red hair: my dad :)

Moving on, I like this show a lot, but I don't usually have a lot of criticism toward comedies unless they're offensively unoriginal (The New Normal) or the premise is just stupid (The Neighbors). This is also coming from a girl whose favorite comedy right now is Happy Endings, despite all its randomness.

Yay! Another ginger cheerleader -- we are outnumbered so we have to stick together.

I do give the CW a hard time when it doesn't always deserve it (SPN is very well written, TVD is really well done when it's not concentrating on the triangle, GG season 1 was good).

I'm behind on Mindy (though I'll be catching up this weekend). I have seen The New Normal and while the premise isn't original, the execution is much better than what's going on on Modern Family this season. They get a little heavy handed and after school special-like though.

#5 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Mindy Kaling's new show starts tonight. Here's my review of the pilot.

#6 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

I wanted to like this show but Mindy's atrocious wardrobe did me in. My eyes are still bleeding from the disastrous outfit she wore to the wedding. Holy bling batman

The jerk doctor is cute. I'd watch on mute but I'll still see Mindy's clothes

I am not that shallow, really. The talking doll was another strike against the pilot. I like camp but I expected this show to be funny and intelligent not ridiculously over the top

#7 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

That is the thing Jenners. Mindy represents the single smart women. She shouldn't be caught dead making a fool of herself in that fashion but it is a tv show so that's ok but when you weight in that it was at her ex's wedding. The getaway ride was for humor but I don't know of it worked. I guess she couldn't have swam with a doll if she rode away in a car fit for a doctor

Rachel Greene did the wedding thing on Friends and it was funny not to mention endearing.

I am not that shallow, really

#8 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I wanted to like this show but Mindy's atrocious wardrobe did me in. My eyes are still bleeding from the disastrous outfit she wore to the wedding. Holy bling batman

Yes, her clothes were quite... blinding. Girl has a penchant for inappropriate sparkle.

#9 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

I didn't know what boyfriend and girlfriend was when I was four. I could hardly string along a sentence lol

I didn't want it to seem I was criticizing the show solely on wardrobe. Although that was what I was doing

#10 Caffery

Caffery

Friendly

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

I watched the pilot and second episode last night. Are they this unprofessional all the time or does it improve?

I don't expect realism as it is a fictional comedy but their behavior is borderline cartoonist. I guess you can say that for most sitcoms these days which is a real shame

#11 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

I watched the pilot and second episode last night. Are they this unprofessional all the time or does it improve?

I don't expect realism as it is a fictional comedy but their behavior is borderline cartoonist. I guess you can say that for most sitcoms these days which is a real shame

I don't mind a lack of professionalism in my comedies, but the whole interview process was way too much. I do like the nurse they ended up with, though.

#12 Caffery

Caffery

Friendly

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I don't mind a lack of professionalism in my comedies, but the whole interview process was way too much. I do like the nurse they ended up with, though.

I am going to give it a few more episodes, I love Kelly so I can overlook a lot its flaws

#13 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I adore Mindy Kaling and having Chris Messina on the cast is a win. Like most sitcoms I think this one will need time to find its tone.

#14 watchitrae

watchitrae

Cordial

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Haha are you associating being shallow with watching CW shows because one of their only merits is casting ridiculously good looking people? That's the only reason I watch them anyways. I'm a ginger cheerleader too. The first man I ever loved has red hair: my dad :)

Moving on, I like this show a lot, but I don't usually have a lot of criticism toward comedies unless they're offensively unoriginal (The New Normal) or the premise is just stupid (The Neighbors). This is also coming from a girl whose favorite comedy right now is Happy Endings, despite all its randomness.

#15 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Happy Endings is the only sitcom I currently watch

I LOVE it!

#16 watchitrae

watchitrae

Cordial

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I had to force myself through that last episode of TNN. I respect their beliefs and agree with most of them, but that show is like watching a 30 minute PSA every week. I still like Modern Family better, probably because there's more of a dynamic ensemble going on there. Plus, they made us fall in love (or at least get to know them) with Cam and Mitch before forcing us to watch their most emotional situations. That's my two cents...sorry I know this is a Mindy thread!

#17 Dessa34

Dessa34

Shy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

I wanted to like this show too, but it is not that funny to me. It is like they showed the funniest parts when they were showing snippets of the show before it began. I tried to watch it again after the first episode but did not make it through the show. Not my cup of tea.

#18 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Exactly. I don't mind them being a bit unprofessional because frankly, if you've ever worked in an office before, you know that it's not all professional behind the scenes. This is pushing it a bit far at times, though, and I much prefer a bit more realism.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the show, but it's not going to rank in my top 10 any time soon. And if I miss an episode, I'm not even going to notice, so meh.

#19 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

I like the last episode I saw, the 3rd one, but they are trying too hard. They've ordered 2 more to make 24 episodes so now the crew can relax and stop trying so effing hard

Random but what was Danny's 180 in the 3rd episode about? All of a sudden he was being nice to Mindy when just the week before, he seemingly couldn't stand her

I do think they'll pair them up so it's good that he doesn't treat her so horribly, but the transition from douchebag to nice guy gave me whiplash

#20 Caffery

Caffery

Friendly

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

It is because of exactly what you said, he and Mindy are going to be the main couple. It was obvious from the pilot

Still doesn't quite explain the sudden turn around. Maybe they decided to speed things up between them