• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

I still keep watching this show because of Mindy. I also really like Danny. But most of the episodes are pretty weak. Once in a while it can be pretty funny. It is another show I usually just tape and watch when there isn’t anything else.

I think they're getting slightly better. Danny is great. Morgan is amusing. I enjoy Dr. British Guy. I wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of the Gossip Girl receptionist for the old lady.  

Mindy and Danny are going to be a problem. I totally want them together, esp. after the shower scene, but man...it's too early. However, teh show isn't there yet to make me want to watch for anyone else.

#22 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

I hadn't actually noticed that they got rid of the receptionist. Even taking note now that they had the episode with the old lady being trained, I didn't think about it. She really wasn't all that memorable for me, I guess, which maybe makes sense why they would get rid of her.

Did the show write her out or did the actress take a better job?

They got rid of her, but I wouldn't say they wrote her out (there was no explanation for why she left on the show). They also downsized the role of Mindy's best friend with the big house in the burbs (which I thought was a mistake).

#23 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I do like the British doctor as well, but I don’t really think he has been given a really great storyline yet.

He's barley on. I want more Dr. British Guy....there's gotta be something amusing about him other than his womanizing.

#24 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Mindy Kaling is cute but I don't think I'l be watching this show. She seems to not be as tough as she should be character wise. Seems like she's just gonna diss people and be snarky until cute guy shows up. Then she'll be all melty and weird.

#25 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Mindy Kaling is cute but I don't think I'l be watching this show. She seems to not be as tough as she should be character wise. Seems like she's just gonna diss people and be snarky until cute guy shows up. Then she'll be all melty and weird.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's the entire premise of the show. You've nailed it. I don't think they were going for "strong" with this character, were they?

#26 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Well they should be. Why can't they make her a modern day woman? Not some over-aged teenager?

#27 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well they should be. Why can't they make her a modern day woman? Not some over-aged teenager?

Because the majority of TV is crap. People want an escape. People want to laugh. There are other strong female role models on TV these days, but that's not the niche they were going for with this one. They were going with overdramatic, a bit crazy, and definitely not "strong" in my opinion.

#28 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I see. But it's so annoying. Especially since Mindy is what's called in America..."a woman of color." Most of them don't act like that.

#29 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I see. But it's so annoying. Especially since Mindy is what's called in America..."a woman of color." Most of them don't act like that.

Er.

I don't think it has anything to do with her color. They would have a white chick doing the same things....and if you look at TV, you can see other shows where they do have white women doing completely ridiculous things. That's why they think it's fun.

I could understand maybe wanting a stronger Indian character maybe, but considering as an actress how well-off she is, I don't think anyone is thinking that she's stupid either.

#30 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

What I meant was women of color don't geek out over men. They're more hidden about their feelings. Usually, you'll know a woman of color loved a man who broke her heart when she does something like set his car on fire or attack him with a kitchen knife. But very rarely do they get all giggly when a guy comes around. Not from the ones I know anyways.

#31 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

What I meant was women of color don't geek out over men. They're more hidden about their feelings. Usually, you'll know a woman of color loved a man who broke her heart when she does something like set his car on fire or attack him with a kitchen knife. But very rarely do they get all giggly when a guy comes around. Not from the ones I know anyways.

She's American, though. Just because her skin is a different color or there's the potential that she was brought up in a slightly different culture/family style, doesn't mean that she's going to fit the stereotype. Suggesting she fit that stereotype is just as bad as the show suggesting that she's a girly girl who gets all giddy over guys. The point is to be funny regardless, though, so I don't think the serious side would work as well for this show.

#32 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I do think she's pretty though. A bit odd in a way, but pretty. She seems super shy. I saw her on "Michael and Kelly" or "Kelly and Michael" or whatever it's being called these days. She's good looking but doesn't seem like much of a talker.

#33 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I really enjoyed the pilot of The Mindy Project and really thought I would like the series. But I really don't think the episodes have been very strong. There is usually at least one funny line or moment per epsiode. Overall, I find Danny and Mindy are the only interesting characters. I'll still continue to watch for now, mostly because I never miss New Girl and it airs right after.

#34 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Constantly trying to change Mindy is starting to get to me. If she were the type to have one night stands, then she'd have one night stands. Why force it and try to set it up like they did? :S

#35 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I still keep watching this show because of Mindy. I also really like Danny. But most of the episodes are pretty weak. Once in a while it can be pretty funny. It is another show I usually just tape and watch when there isn’t anything else.

#36 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I hadn't actually noticed that they got rid of the receptionist. Even taking note now that they had the episode with the old lady being trained, I didn't think about it. She really wasn't all that memorable for me, I guess, which maybe makes sense why they would get rid of her.

Did the show write her out or did the actress take a better job?

#37 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I've been DVRing episodes since January and I finally watched them this weekend. The mid-season reboot was worth it because the show is hilarious now and I finally care about the characters. Great turnaround! The chemistry between Mindy and Danny (Chris Messina) is wonderful to watch.

Here's a quote from the LAist interview with Mindy Kaling and she says that they will never hook up.

And let's not move on from talk of the show without mentioning the chemistry and delicious sexual tension between Lahiri and Dr. Danny Castellano, played by the handsome and humorous Chris Messina. The question was asked, and Kaling said nay. Because the characters are so different, she says they would never be attracted to each other in real life. Alas, they will likely never hook up on the show. We're not so sure.

Source:http://laist.com/201...ndy_project.php

I'd be okay with them not hooking up because that usually ruins a show but I wouldn't be disappointed if it happens and it's a very slow burn.

#38 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I don't want them to hook up in the first season at all, since it was renewed. Had it not been, then I would have wanted them to go there. I do think it is too early though. Depending on how it plays out, I think I would be disappointed if they never get together or remove the hope entirely.

I do like the British doctor as well, but I don’t really think he has been given a really great storyline yet.

#39 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Dr. Jeremy reminds me of Daniel Cleaver from BJD.

#40 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I did some digging around on the cast changes:

http://tvline.com/20...camp-recurring/

So it looks like the BFF actually asked to be taken off contract because she has other career opportunities. She's still there as a recurring role, but not as a regular.

And Setton (the receptionist) has already moved onto a recurring role on some CBS show and has worked on a movie, too, so she doesn't seem to be doing so bad. I know that doesn't affect the show, but I also feel bad for actors that get written out of shows, so I'm happy to see when they immediately get more work elsewhere.