Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

#2 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Anyone else love the show? I find it really interesting. I just love cooking shows.

#3 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

I actually like this show. Much like Iron Chef, this is another one of those shows that keeps Food Network viable. I do feel bad for those chefs though. Because they have to put together decent meals with some of the oddest ingredients ever. And in such a short amount of time too.

#4 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yeah it varies so much by episode. One group will get venison tenderloins as an entre and the next episode they'll have canned meat. It's like, really? lol

I wouldn't eat a lot of the stuff they make but it does give me ideas. I just love how creative they get.

#5 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

Yeah for real, some of the stuff they make looks nasty.

But you can't really blame them. The ingredient combinations they give them never go together or make sense. Like they'll the ingredients will be, gravy, fish, condensed milked, and grapes for example.

Now ask yourself, what kind of meal can you make out of those? lol

#6 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yeah it varies so much by episode. One group will get venison tenderloins as an entre and the next episode they'll have canned meat. It's like, really? lol

I wouldn't eat a lot of the stuff they make but it does give me ideas. I just love how creative they get.

That's exactly what my view of the show is. Sometimes I get really good ideas from what they're doing.

I can't imagine being under that sort of time pressure to come with something creative and cohesive that would actually taste good, though.

#7 teamrose

teamrose

Shy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I absolutely love Chopped. It's better than Iron Chef because the Chefs are not nearly as experienced. I expect spectacular creations from the Iron Chef which never let's me down. But am always surprised at what the Chopped chefs can create with their strange ingredients. I wish there was a show for audience participation and I could be a contestant and get to taste and judge the food.

#8 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hmm I never heard of this reality show. I have to check this out. I was a fan of Hell's Kitchen and loved chef Ramsey. Is this similar? Or is it more like learning new recipies?

#9 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hmm I never heard of this reality show. I have to check this out. I was a fan of Hell's Kitchen and loved chef Ramsey. Is this similar? Or is it more like learning new recipies?

It's nothing like Hell's Kitchen. The chefs don't have an overbearing jerk yelling at them for everything. This is more of a competition and judgement show to test a chef's skills to see how creative they can be. Not for a job

#10 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

It's nothing like Hell's Kitchen. The chefs don't have an overbearing jerk yelling at them for everything. This is more of a competition and judgement show to test a chef's skills to see how creative they can be. Not for a job

Oh ok thanks. This show reminds me more of that other show called "Top Chef". It sounds like a show I may like. Thanks for the tip.

#11 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Well yeah, it has much more in common with Top Chef than it does Hell's Kitchen by far. But the best show to compare Chopped with would be Iron Chef.

#12 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

It's a very fast paced version of Top Chef. There are four contestants and there is a basket of mystery ingredients for each round. Appetizer, entry and dessert. Sometimes the ingredients are great, other times they are really weird stuff candies, cereals or other weird things that don't really fit with the idea of "entre" or "dessert." They only have a few minutes to throw a meal together and usually it comes down to the final second! It's great for suspense.

Ever since I've watched this show I like to pretend I'm on it while I make dinner, lol. I'll set the timer and start going all crazy fast. I have to say, it's been incredibly difficult for me to put together a dinner that I'd already planned in that amount of time, so I can't even imagine what it's like to have to come up with an idea off the top of your head and then do it so quickly. The chefs are amazing when they pull it off!

#13 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

It's a very fast paced version of Top Chef. There are four contestants and there is a basket of mystery ingredients for each round. Appetizer, entry and dessert. Sometimes the ingredients are great, other times they are really weird stuff candies, cereals or other weird things that don't really fit with the idea of "entre" or "dessert." They only have a few minutes to throw a meal together and usually it comes down to the final second! It's great for suspense.

Ever since I've watched this show I like to pretend I'm on it while I make dinner, lol. I'll set the timer and start going all crazy fast. I have to say, it's been incredibly difficult for me to put together a dinner that I'd already planned in that amount of time, so I can't even imagine what it's like to have to come up with an idea off the top of your head and then do it so quickly. The chefs are amazing when they pull it off!

You're pretty bold. I wouldn't dare pretend or even try to do what they do. I'd end up chopping my fingers off or worse.

#14 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have come close! lol.

I would consider going on the show myself if I were a working chef. I do consider myself a chef of sorts, as I always cook all my meals. However, I only like certain things so I'm fairly limited in my knowledge. What I can do, I'm great at. But there are sometimes ingredients that I would have no clue what to do with.

I wonder what the criteria to get on the show is. I'm pretty sure you have to at least work in a restaurant or be a caterer as your job. It would be cool for them to do an amateur episode!

#15 saragoose

saragoose

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

I'm so addicted to this show! I think the best one I've seen, though, was when they had school "lunch ladies" on. All the judges were so respectful of the hard and important work they do, and the contestants were super talented. Definitely had a few tears going, even. Not what I'd expect from a reality cooking show, but that's why I love it so much!

#16 4justice

4justice

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

You know, this show is one of the few things enjoyable on television. Normally, I don't like reality tv. But cooking shows are the exception. The thing I like about Chopped is that it truly tests a chef's skills. It makes them literally make something out of ingredients that simply don't go together.

One thing though, I don't envy those judges. Because I know that stuff can't always taste good.

#17 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

One of the reasons I love this show is because there really isn't much room for them to make it scripted or faked like so many other "reality" shows out there. Sure, they may do some selective editing here and there to beef up the drama a bit, but beyond that I really believe these challenges are all real. I also really enjoy the supplemental Chopped:After Hours they are now putting up on the Food Network website - where the judges get to compete with the same baskets they just judged people on.

#18 Charli1908

Charli1908

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Anyone else love the show? I find it really interesting. I just love cooking shows.

I love this show. I became a fan over the summer of 2013 while flipping through channels. Came across the Food Network and saw chefs going at it with the time ticking away. It was intense but I realized how much of a "free" cooking lesson I was getting. The thing with Chopped is that the contestants get really critical feedback from expert chefs: the do's and don'ts, the acceptable and unacceptable, etc. I learn a lot from this show!

#19 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

Has anyone been watching the Canadian version of Chopped that they recently started airing in the US? Dean McDermott hosts it, and they feature Canadian contestants - and I believe most of the judges are Canadian as well. It's kind of funny comparing it to the US version, because it has a different tone to it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the judges seem a lot more serious on the Canadian one. Plus I get a bit of a chuckle from all the Canadian accents (sorry, it's a South Park thing, lol).

I'm assuming they taped the shows months before all the crap went down with Dean cheating on Tori, but I will be surprised if they keep him on the show going forward. There are probably a percentage of viewers that don't like him as a result and it's perhaps steering them away from watching the show.

Personally I wouldn't miss him, because he has a cardboard personality on the show, and just acts like he's reading cue cards with no emotion.

#20 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

I loved Chopped! I was a big fan of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and so glad that Ted got a new gig on TV. Other than that, the show concept it genius. Give a bunch of cooks weird ingredients and watch them come up with some creative dishes. I love this show and will watch it till the end!