8 replies to this topic

#1 Sansa Stark

Sansa Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Series Premiere Wednesday, May 9th

A new cooking competition series that takes its contestants around the world to test their skills in some of the world's greatest - and most demanding - restaurants. The budding chefs will be on the run across the globe, navigating a gauntlet of culinary tests along with changing cultures, customs and cuisines.

It's like a mash-up of Top Chef and The Amazing Race. Let's discuss!

#2 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

The contestants of this show are very lucky in having the chance to travel all around the globe while enhancing their talent on cooking in the span of 40 days. They must learn how to get the best out of simple to exotic ingredients and must get the approval of strict judges including Nigella Lawson, Wolfgang Puck and Alvin Leung. An exciting show indeed!

#3 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

I watched the second episode and I'm not impressed. I had high hopes for this show. It's just Top Chef on the go.

#4 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

The premise of this show sounds both interesting and challenging. I hope the budding chefs involved know what they are getting into! Cooking is very different in different countries.

#5 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Were you surprised they didn't recognize the tower of London?

Also the black team couldn't find their way if you have them a MAP!

I know they cast bottom of the feed for these reality shows but c'mon! These people are embarrassingly stupid

#6 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

This is a show I was curious about and wanted to see when I heard about it, but for some reason I never did. It seemed like it was going to be interesting. It's really hard though to keep up with the air dates for some of these shows sometimes.

#7 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Does anyone know if this is coming back on again this year? With Masterchef winding down soon, I would like to start watching another cooking series. If I recall, this started around this time last year.

#8 Sansa Stark

Sansa Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

According to this article, it was not renewed for a second season due to production costs.

Of the ten cancelled series, the one with the highest rating was the freshman travel & cooking competition Around The World in 80 Plates, which averaged just over 750,000 viewers per episode throughout its ten episode run. Scoring 0.30 in the important advertiser demographic of viewers aged 18 to 49, (that’s an average 431,700 viewers in that age group) meant that the show was not a profitable one for Bravo Media, particularly due to its expensive travel and productions cost.

http://bravoratings....t-be-returning/

#9 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

According to this article, it was not renewed for a second season due to production costs.

Of the ten cancelled series, the one with the highest rating was the freshman travel & cooking competition Around The World in 80 Plates, which averaged just over 750,000 viewers per episode throughout its ten episode run. Scoring 0.30 in the important advertiser demographic of viewers aged 18 to 49, (that’s an average 431,700 viewers in that age group) meant that the show was not a profitable one for Bravo Media, particularly due to its expensive travel and productions cost.

http://bravoratings....t-be-returning/

I'm not surprised to hear that's the reason why. My friend and I got into the show last summer, and used to watch it each week - this topic came up many times when we were discussing the show. The seemingly exorbitant price tag of the show was part of the appeal to me for some reason. Considering how many "reality" shows are on TV these days that the networks more or less fart out on a shoestring budget and air them non stop, it was kind of refreshing to see something of this scale.

All the people on the show were getting to travel the world and experience things they likely never would have seen before and compete in real world situations. It was nice to see the contestants really get something out of their experience on the show, rather than just be couped up in some house/apartment and watching them fight like kids.