• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I see a lot of parallels between this show and The Mentalist, but I believe The Mentalist has been on longer. Patrick Jane (Mentalist) and Richard Castle share a lot of traits, but they are quite different when you examine them more closely. I don't think that Castle writers are trying to copy The Mentalist writers in any way, but it's interesting to see how the shows are similar overall. The relationship dynamic in Castle (Between Castle and Beckett) is a lot more straightforward than in The Mentalist (Jane and Agent Lisbon), and Mentalist creator Bruno Heller has said that he has "no plans" to see Jane and Lisbon become romantically involved. At this point, with the show going into its sixth season, they're getting really close to forming an actual relationship. But unlike Castle, the main storyline of The Mentalist sort of prevents Jane and Lisbon from becoming involved.

That said, I do like the Castle/Beckett romance and storyline. It's a bit more old-fashioned, so to speak, but the writers portray it well enough that it doesn't seem overdone. I think Castle is a really good show--and who doesn't love Nathan Fillion--but unfortunately I haven't gotten around to watching it on a regular basis.

#2 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

The dynamic between Castle and Beckett feels a bit overdone at times, but they've been doing a good job of keeping it interesting. I like the subtlety in the show in terms of the characters' behavior. There's a level of attention to detail on the show that you don't see quite as much in a lot of other shows. I'd like to start watching the show from the beginning, but I just haven't gotten around to buying the first season yet.

#3 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Official Site

Posted Image

#4 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for creating the thread!!

I have tons to say about this show, but I'm going to skip forward to just the most recent episode.

How do you think they're handling the whole bit of Alexis growing up? Castle is obviously struggling with it. Do you think the writers are doing a good job with the storyline?

#5 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I think they're doing a good job with Alexis growing up. Though really, not much has changed. Castle always had trouble when Alexis did something he didn't expect, and Kate was always the one to talk him off a ledge and tell him it's normal and that Alexis is still the perfect daughter he can trust.

And with Alexis out of the house, I think it's the perfect time for Kate and Rick to be together. Alexis kind of watched out for her dad, but now Kate can do it for her. How do you like their relationship so far? I think it's adorable!

#6 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'm loving it. It's so....cutesy almost. That's not usually my style, but it seems so out of character for both of them to be going that sweeter route. And they're being so careful about getting caught. I wonder what happens when they finally get caught (because you know they will, right?).

#7 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I commend those involved with Castle for taking the relationship into a more romantic area. Some claim this runs show, but I don't think so. Especially if its paced correctly and you don't wait too long. This was the problem that other series had, they waited too long and they didn't handle the relationship well. So far I think Castle is doing a good job, it kind of adds tension that they are trying to keep their new relationship secret. But, I too have to wonder how long it will take before someone finds out about them.

#8 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I commend those involved with Castle for taking the relationship into a more romantic area. Some claim this runs show, but I don't think so.

It certainly added tension when they weren't together but obviously wanted to be. In that sense, sure, it might "ruin" some of it.

Especially if its paced correctly and you don't wait too long. This was the problem that other series had, they waited too long and they didn't handle the relationship well.

Agreed! Sometimes, shows are so worried about it ruining everything, that they wait too long to get the two characters together. They try to prolong the tension and it ruins things.

So far I think Castle is doing a good job, it kind of adds tension that they are trying to keep their new relationship secret. But, I too have to wonder how long it will take before someone finds out about them.

Well they already are! It didn't take very long at all for a couple of her coworkers to find out. It's all about making sure the captain doesn't find out, though, and they're already bumping into issues there. I think she'll find out eventually but for now, they're just going to keep teasing and poking at that.

#9 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I love the chemistry between Beckett and Castle; it's what makes the show work. If they had never evolved to having an actual romantic relationship the show wouldn't have been as much fun. They'll probably split up after a while, or have several challenges and near misses, since that's what happens in the real world, and then before the series ends (years from now) get back together.

#10 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Argh, the search system still isn't working very well for me. I searched for Castle, Beckett, Alexis, etc, trying to find this thread before finally just remembering the directory and getting here via that. Bleh.

Anyway, how did everybody like this last episode? Castle's ex-wife being there was strange. Do you think she still has an agenda, even after the conversation at the end? As in, do you think she's really happy for them or is she trying to ruin the relationship, even if she's no longer interested in him?

#11 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Oh Kaatteee.... Kate, Kate, Kate.

How horrible to set her up to protect the man who killed people she loved? To force her into a position where she had to actively seek out protection for someone that she would love to kill herself? I think she handled it very well and her hesitations made it more realistic.

#12 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Oh how I hate "to be continued" episodes. Boooo!!!

I was a little annoyed to see them having Alexis kidnapped. What a coincidence, right? /rolls eyes. I love Alexis, but I wish they wouldn't keep getting her in trouble in order to include her in the show more. By the end of it, though, I was no longer enjoyed, was fully engaged, and then just peeved because I have to wait until next week to find out what happened. :P

#13 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Oh how I hate "to be continued" episodes. Boooo!!!

... peved because I have to wait until next week to find out what happened. :P

To be continued is almost always a pain, lol. But waiting one week is a lot easier than waiting all summer for a new season to start! What did you think of the plot twist with Rick meeting his dad? You think he'll turn up again in a future episode?

Edited by ChanellG, 09 April 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#14 winnifred

winnifred

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I really like Castle. He has the man/boy charm that makes him entertaining to watch. And I think he and Beckett are a cute couple together. It seems like it took forever for them to get together. Now I wonder if Beckett will accept Castle's marriage proposal. I guess we have to wait until the fall to find out

#15 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

I really like Castle. He has the man/boy charm that makes him entertaining to watch. And I think he and Beckett are a cute couple together. It seems like it took forever for them to get together. Now I wonder if Beckett will accept Castle's marriage proposal. I guess we have to wait until the fall to find out

I agree, it's that thing that makes men both adorable and frustrating, lol. The two have great chemistry, but unless the show is about to end, the writers will probably string us along for a while. In real life, Beckett would have to at least go to DC and try out the job, and it's not like Castle couldn't move with her; he could do his job from an igloo on an island as long as there was a fax machine and an internet connection.

#16 winnifred

winnifred

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

I think the writers may string us along for a while but did they not do that before Castle and Beckett got together? And we survived that pretty well. I think Beckett will take the job in DC and not marry Castle. And I think that Castle is not ready to marry Beckett and settle down. I just think he is afraid of not having her around with him.

#17 mkcookin

mkcookin

Cordial

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

I think Castle is a great show. I find it is a mixture of the Mentalist, and Psych. I like laid back and relax Castle is, but at the same time I enjoy how he puts the pieces of the crime together like a puzzle. My whole family watches, and loves this show to death.

#18 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

It's almost time for the new season to start! What do we think Kate will say to Rick's marriage proposal? Will she take the job? She'd have to at least go and check it out to see if it really is for her before making a decision to commit. Then again, it's not like Castle couldn't move with her.

#19 mkcookin

mkcookin

Cordial

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

I like Castle from what I have seen. He is a mixture of the mentalist and Psych I think. It is very funny and, and I enjoy how he solves crimes.

#20 Tempe

Tempe

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

I like Castle a lot. I have enjoyed watching the relationship between Beckett and Castle grow. The new season starts tomorrow -- I've gone through the summer waiting for it. I wonder if they will get married...