• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

Doctor Who is really cheesy at times, but you either like it or you don't. I watch it for the storyline and for the acting (some of it, anyway), but it isn't my absolute favorite show. I started watching it mainly so I wouldn't be out of the loop every time someone brought it up, but I enjoy it so everyone wins.

#2 Ned Stark

Ned Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Posted Image

Official Site

#3 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I love Doctor Who. I'm not a huge fan like some of my friends, but I still watch regularly and enjoy it thoroughly. Some of my friends are downright obsesses, though, and that's actually the reason I started watching in the first place. I just couldn't imagine what all the hype was.

#4 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

You're not alone here, I'm a big fan. The BBC schedule is so strange to me, I hate when DW goes on hiatus! I know that the Christmas special is coming on soon, but I want to get back to the main story.

aI was sad to see Amy and Rory leave the way they did, but it was a long time coming. I think they should have left a while back. I know who the next companion is and I love it. I alsoknew it would happen. I don't want to spoil it for those who want to wait and see, but it's already been announced so a google search will show you who it is.

#5 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

aI was sad to see Amy and Rory leave the way they did, but it was a long time coming. I think they should have left a while back.

Yeah, everybody loved Amy and Rory. I think that people just aren't used to main characters leaving from big shows, so unless you watched the original Doctor Who series, then it can be a shock to the system. And then even the producers didn't want to let them go, so it let everyone get even more attached. Now it's well beyond when they should've left and it made it even harder to say goodbye.

#6 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Well, I dunno. Even with the new Dr. Who, there's been a revolving door as far as companions go. I'm thinking that Amy and Rory are the 4th companions since Who came back in the early 2000s? Donna was definitely my favorite but I believe the new one is gonna take her place.

#7 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I used to be a big Doctor Who fan, way back when, but I just can't get into the new version. I've tried watching a few times, but it doesn't make sense to me. Even when there is a marathon going on and I can watch several episodes I find the show very hard to follow.

#8 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Posted Image

In case that ends up shrinking and being unreadable, or is too big and needs edited out, here's the link:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/collections/m5-large/DRWHO_Infographic_1200px.jpg

I found it really interesting to look through how long the companions had lasted over the years and which ones were people's favorites.

#9 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks, Quirky! That's some interesting reading material. I personally haven't watched the Dr. Whos from before 2005, I really should do that if I'm gonna call myself a fan.

Regardless, I gotta say that my favorite companion of the new seasons is a tie between Rose and Donna. I really loved the relationship between rose and the Doctor, but Donna was so much fun. I have a big crush on Captain Jack, but I never thought of him as a companion.

Did you guys see the Christmas special? I LOVED IT!!! I'm so glad they brought the Dalek chick aka Souffle Girl aka Clara aka Oswin and I'm interested in seeing how this all works out with her coming back over and over. Will she die a lot throughout the season with the Dr. having to go hunt her down in each of her time streams? How far back does she go? Will he have to go back and get pre-historic Oswin?

I thought that they'd do it differently. Since you lose your memory when you turn into a Dalek, I figured that he'd simply go find her earlier in her life and eventually something would happen that led her to that Dalek planet. Once she began to transform, she'd forget about becoming a Dalek. That's flawed, though, since the Dr would have to re-enter his own time stream. Oh well, I'm just glad they made it work somehow.

And I totally forgot that David Morrissey (The Governor from The Walking Dead) was in Dr. Who. I remember the episode where he thought he was the Dr.

#10 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Did you guys see the Christmas special? I LOVED IT!!!

No, I haven't, which means I stopped reading your post right there. If you said anything else great there, I'll have to wait to read it. I can't find the episode online yet and that's my only access. :(

#11 Megan Kathleen

Megan Kathleen

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

I have been rewatching the new Doctor Who with my boyfriend (who has never seen it), and we just watched The Library episodes. It is crazy to see River Song's introduction knowing now who she is. This show is so good!

#12 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I have been rewatching the new Doctor Who with my boyfriend (who has never seen it), and we just watched The Library episodes. It is crazy to see River Song's introduction knowing now who she is. This show is so good!

You're right! I think Doctor Who has a lot of "rewatchability." It's not the kind of show where you watch it once and then you have no interest in watching them again. You end up seeing even more the second or third time through and it makes it even better. I don't feel like it "spoils" anything either.

#13 BonnyC

BonnyC

Friendly

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

You're right! I think Doctor Who has a lot of "rewatchability." It's not the kind of show where you watch it once and then you have no interest in watching them again. You end up seeing even more the second or third time through and it makes it even better. I don't feel like it "spoils" anything either.

Agreed. I've had it in my head that I should rewatch the new series. I hate having to wait for shows to come back from hiatus! I've also thought about watching Sherlock, one of the guys behind DW is involved in it, too.

#14 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

It's baaaccckkk!!!

Did everybody catch the most recent episode? What do you think of the new companion?

#15 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

I know I'm the worst person in the world for this, but I never got into Dr. Who. All my friends are obsessed, and they all recommended it to me, so eventually I caved and watched an episode. Didn't get into it at all. I'm actually surprised at how huge and dedicated their fan base is. I still hope they continue making episodes for the sake of the people who love it though, because I know if I felt that way about a show I'd never want it to end.

#16 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

I know I'm the worst person in the world for this, but I never got into Dr. Who. All my friends are obsessed, and they all recommended it to me, so eventually I caved and watched an episode. Didn't get into it at all. I'm actually surprised at how huge and dedicated their fan base is. I still hope they continue making episodes for the sake of the people who love it though, because I know if I felt that way about a show I'd never want it to end.

Don't feel bad, I used to love it, but this new show just doesn't work for me. I have tried several times to watch, but neither the current doctor or the storylines are of interest to me. It's rather disappointing for me because I loved the older shows (circa Tom Baker and a few others). 

#17 MercyL

MercyL

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

After all of the hype surrounding the next Dr. Who, the powers that be have chosen Peter Capaldi to fill the time lord's shoes.

BBC did a good job of throwing people off track, assuming their showing John Hurt as the new doctor during the last "Clara" episode  was a skillfull misdirection.

I am not thrilled about Capaldi, but then I didn't feel all that drawn to Matt Smith's being Dr. Who, either. The Amy and Rory saga saved the show, in my book, giving me time to appreciate Smith's protrayal. I think John Hurt would have been a terrible replacement for Smith.

Capaldi also joins the group of actors who, having played lesser roles on Doctor Who, were hired to play major roles in later incarnations. Freema Agyeman and the 5th had both played other roles on the show before being cast as major characters

Edited by MercyL, 06 August 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#18 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

To be honest, I really don't get all the hype this show frequently gets. I mean when it first aired where I live, I thought it was alright at best and then soon enough my interest plummeted and I couldn't force myself back to watch. There are more interesting shows out there than Dr. Who, but I guess to each their own. The show is ok at best, though.

#19 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

To be honest, I really don't get all the hype this show frequently gets. I mean when it first aired where I live, I thought it was alright at best and then soon enough my interest plummeted and I couldn't force myself back to watch. There are more interesting shows out there than Dr. Who, but I guess to each their own. The show is ok at best, though.

Well it's amazing because of the history it has and of course the changing faces of the main lead itself.

It's a one of a kind show as there is nothing like it on the TV and never has been. You really have to watch it for a while to get to know why it's so awesome. If you watch a random episode from between then obviously it won't make much sense to you.

#20 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

Well it's amazing because of the history it has and of course the changing faces of the main lead itself.

It's a one of a kind show as there is nothing like it on the TV and never has been. You really have to watch it for a while to get to know why it's so awesome. If you watch a random episode from between then obviously it won't make much sense to you.

Maybe I'll have to give it another chance then. It sounds like I would have to completely tune in to get what the show is aiming at. By the way, which season(s) would you personally recommend?