• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

All TLC shows that do not have their own threads can be talked about here. Popular topics will be split into their own threads

Sister Wives
Breaking Amish
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
Extreme Couponing

#2 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Sister Wives -

I remember the controversy over this a few years ago because of whether or not polygamy was legal where they lived. There was a lot of hype and then I forgot all about it.

Yesterday I got to see an actual episode of it. Their format absolutely drives me nuts. There's maybe 15 minutes worth of content and then they just repeat it before and after every commercial break repeatedly. It's ridiculous. During those 15 minutes of content, though, some of it was really interesting. They're trying to buy homes right next to either because they used to live all under one roof and then when they had to move, they are split up across the town, so it's inconvenient. I like seeing them try to work as a single unit.

#3 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

These kinds of polygamy shows are degrading to women not to mention a side of child prostituion. I should not make such a statement as I've never seen an episode of sister wives. But it can't be all that different from other polygamy camps. One men has multiple women catering to his every whim from all sides and pop up kid after kid. The girls are married off to another pervert as soon as they hit puberty. Gross.

I want to talk about how Honey Boo Boo got higher ratings than a presidential debate lol

#4 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

That's actually not how the show is shown at all, so I do recommend catching an episode for comparison's sake if nothing at all.

And yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Geez.

#5 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

I've heard of Sister wives and caught a few minutes of an episode a couple years ago and thought the series was now cancelled. But I've heard it's still on. I do like that show Extreme Couponing though. I don't have the schedule so I'll have to look it up on my listing and DVR it. The only thing I find an issue with is the amount of time invested in couponing. I mean really? What full time working person has time to dedicate 40 -60 hours a week to finding and cutting and organizing coupons? Geesh!

#6 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Sister Wives makes me sick. I can't even stand to watch 5 minutes of it. I feel so sorry for the kids. They were basically forced into this situation. The women seem like women that have no confidence in themselves and totally lack self esteem. WHy does this guy think he is such a prize and deserve 1 woman, let alone all of these ladies? Its just really too sad to watch.

#7 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

There is a lot of controversy over Sister Wives. There was when it first started anyway

I watched a total of 15 minutes and that was it.

The women seem like women that have no confidence in themselves and totally lack self esteem

Is this kind of life all they've known? If they were raised in this environment, they don't know any better.

It is hard to believe that there are some people living in the US, in this day and age, who are severely secluded but it is not as rare as you'd think

#8 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

There is a lot of controversy over Sister Wives. There was when it first started anyway

I watched a total of 15 minutes and that was it.

The women seem like women that have no confidence in themselves and totally lack self esteem

Is this kind of life all they've known? If they were raised in this environment, they don't know any better.

It is hard to believe that there are some people living in the US, in this day and age, who are severely secluded but it is not as rare as you'd think

I agree. But you know I understand people when they say they didn't know any better up until like 21 ish but once you are an adult, it's my opinion that it's up to you to use your mind and brain and expand your knowledge. If one is content living life according to whatever is told to them without searching on your own for answers, then that's chosen ignorance. With all the freedome to research and get information now and the easy accessibility, there is really no room for excuses like " I never knew". We all make choices in life and some choose what's comfortable and familiar rather than explore what else is going on in the world. It's really sad. Prison of the mind is worse than physical imprisonment.

#9 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Did anyone catch the episode of Extreme Couponing where the young couple were saving for the engagement ring? That was so cute. She insisted on saving $1500 so they could pay cash for her dream ring instead of going into debt. Unbeknownst to her on her last shopping excursion which she hoped to save the last $500, her boyfriend had already gotten the ring.

As soon as they checked out the cashier gave her the receipt with a coupon that read " Congratulations. You did it. The time is right, will you marry me?" The boyfriend proposed on one knee in the grocery store check out. It was the cutest episode I've seen.

#10 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

As soon as they checked out the cashier gave her the receipt with a coupon that read " Congratulations. You did it. The time is right, will you marry me?" The boyfriend proposed on one knee in the grocery store check out. It was the cutest episode I've seen.

Haha!

I wouldn't say that's the most romantic thing ever, but if couponing and saving money was something they both were into and so important to them, then it was obviously special for them. Congrats to the both of them!

#11 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

As soon as they checked out the cashier gave her the receipt with a coupon that read " Congratulations. You did it. The time is right, will you marry me?" The boyfriend proposed on one knee in the grocery store check out. It was the cutest episode I've seen

Haha!

I wouldn't say that's the most romantic thing ever, but if couponing and saving money was something they both were into and so important to them, then it was obviously special for them. Congrats to the both of them!

Ha ha! True. It's not my dream proposal but it worked for her. It was the cutest episode of extreme couponing I've seen though. I definitely prefer my own proposal story. :)

#12 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Of the TLC shows that are on, and some are like Train wreck's (Honey Boo Boo anyone) I like the Say Yes To the Dress Shows. Which of course deal with women looking for their wedding gowns, and one series deals with looking for Brides Maid Dresses. I love to watch these to see the different styles of dresses that are out there.

I also like to watch the show Four Weddings, has anyone ever seen this? It's about four different brides to be competing over who has the best wedding for a chance to win a honeymoon. I do have to laugh at this show though, with the money that some of the brides pay for their wedding they could probably have been able to pay for their own honeymoon if they had just cut back on the expense for their wedding.

#13 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

I do have to laugh at this show though, with the money that some of the brides pay for their wedding they could probably have been able to pay for their own honeymoon if they had just cut back on the expense for their wedding

I haven't seen this particular one. I have read stories about the various wedding shows out there and that's exactly what I think. Not only could they get the honeymoon of their dreams, but they could potentially put a down payment on their dream home to live in for many years to come, too. I just never understand spending that much on a wedding.

#14 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

I do have to laugh at this show though, with the money that some of the brides pay for their wedding they could probably have been able to pay for their own honeymoon if they had just cut back on the expense for their wedding

I haven't seen this particular one. I have read stories about the various wedding shows out there and that's exactly what I think. Not only could they get the honeymoon of their dreams, but they could potentially put a down payment on their dream home to live in for many years to come, too. I just never understand spending that much on a wedding.

So true. I agree. I have no regrets having a small intimate B & B wedding. No wedding debt and lovely memories. I saw one episode of the four weddings and in addition to the women going all out on the reception costs, they tried to downplay each other's wedding's in order to make their own wedding seem like it was the best. I don't get spending tens of thousands of dollars for one day where people will still complain anyway and half the guests you don't know or have seen in years only there for the free food and liquor.
I do like that show, say yes to the dress too. Although I'd never spend $5,000 on a gown, it's fun to watch them try on the lovely designer gowns.

#15 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I just hear someone talking about Honey Boo Boo again.

It makes me wonder what it'll be like in 20 years. Are we going to see her on one of those "where are they now?" style shows? Will she be just as ridiculous? Will she be forgotten and continue her poor, redneck life as always? Will she be grownup and gorgeous?

#16 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Has anyone seen this new show called " The Sisterhood" about the lives of five preacher's wives in Atlanta and all the drama they go through in and out of the church? I saw one episode of it and was interested at first but then it turned into yet another drama filled "reality tv" parade. I expected more class and grace from preacher's wives to be represented. I've heard many viewers are also making known their distaste in the content of the show.

#17 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Has anyone seen this new show called " The Sisterhood" about the lives of five preacher's wives in Atlanta and all the drama they go through in and out of the church? I saw one episode of it and was interested at first but then it turned into yet another drama filled "reality tv" parade. I expected more class and grace from preacher's wives to be represented. I've heard many viewers are also making known their distaste in the content of the show.

I haven't actually seen the show, I have seen it advertised on TLC though. I really had no desire to sit down and watch it. Mainly because of what you just outlined above. This is just another housewives type drama show, which will be all about the drama. I will admit out loud that I allowed myself to get hooked on certain additions of the Real Housewives Franchise on Bravo, but that is enough of this sort of drama for me to take. When I turn TLC I want something a bit different in a reality type show.

#18 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I don't know what channel Bridezillas is on, but I know Say Yes to the Dress is on TLC, so I'm tossing this here for those to relate to:

Posted Image

Lol!

#19 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Oh yeah, I like that show too. I started watching when I was engaged and still watch now that my day is over. It's fun to watch OTHER people spend ridiculous amounts of money on a dress for their big day. I'm not sure but that thread may be somewhere else on here.

#20 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I tried watching a new show on TLC called Starter Wives Confidential. It was actually a mistake. I misread it and assumed it was a new episode of Sister Wives.

The show was....well, horrible. It's what's to be expected of a show like that, but I couldn't even finish the episode. It was just women fussing about their ex-celebrity-husbands who have since then moved on. Meh.