• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Morgan Glennon of the Huffington Post wrote a really great article on what's wrong with Gossip Girl this season.

Huffington Post

She sums it up in three points: The lack of BFF between Serena and Blair, Serena's the Plot Device and the Deconstruction of Blair. She's not the first fan of the show who I've seen discuss this and yet the writers don't get it. They insist on making it about Dair, Chair, etc. instead of about the girls, which is what I've always watched the show for.

I'm told GG is all but guaranteed a spot next season despite poor ratings, so I hope the writers are taking note. I like the romantic stuff, but the people I want to see ride off into the sunset are Blair and Serena. Everyone else is incidental to me.

#2 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

I'm told GG is all but guaranteed a spot next season despite poor ratings, so I hope the writers are taking note.

They aren't. I read a very cheeky tweet by one of them saying something along the lines of people threatening to stop watching the show all the time but they keep watching anyway. I guess he is content with the crappy ratings they are getting this season.

This is why I'm only watching half their show now. HIMYM at least cares that I'm annoyed and is working towards making me happy (so they say). I'll be off GG completely before the end of the season....sad.

#3 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

So, did you guys ended up recapturing some of the earlier glory?

I actually only care about Blair past season 4. And I actually liked the interaction with Dan, I think the literary-and-artsy Blair has a lot of class :) Them watching old movies together always made me smile.

But it is true that Blair lost some of her bite. The friendship with Serena was also not too... well. I did not care about Serena through the series, except when Blair cared.

The show, for me, was Blair and Serena and their friendship. I could never like Dan and Blair for that reason...I know S slept with Nate, but she was drinking and drugging then (not to mention like 15 years old). Blair would have known better and valued her friendship with S more than any flirtation Dan. 

#4 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I saw that article Jenners. I agree with almost everything the author had to say.

Just because some of the issues he touched on, defanging Blair for example, does not negate the message he was getting at.

I disagree with him that Ivy's ex was a psycho. He was turned into a villein within a blink of an eye when IMO, Ivy should be the bad guy.

I'm told GG is all but guaranteed a spot next season despite poor ratings, so I hope the writers are taking note.

They aren't. I read a very cheeky tweet by one of them saying something along the lines of people threatening to stop watching the show all the time but they keep watching anyway. I guess he is content with the crappy ratings they are getting this season.

#5 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Be sure to tune in at 8 pm tonight, Blair and Dan are kissing again. It is must see TV :P

#6 Conman

Conman

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

GG is too addictive.. Good , bad or Ugly.. I just can't stop watching it. I am hooked to it.. with the twists n turns its a perfect drama for the young n old alike. I kind of like the current season too.. I mean, afterall GG is GG.. Blair is Blair.. wot else is there ?

#7 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

GG is too addictive.. Good , bad or Ugly.. I just can't stop watching it. I am hooked to it.. with the twists n turns its a perfect drama for the young n old alike. I kind of like the current season too.. I mean, afterall GG is GG.. Blair is Blair.. wot else is there ?

It is undeniable that Blair's not been herself this season. Like at all

I could go into details but the author covered it all

#8 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Neither can I

I complain about it all the time but I watch every week. I won't stop watching until it is cancelled but even then I have my seasons 1,2 and 3 DVDs. A tiny part of me wishes the show will revert back to its glory days. There is a whole season left for me to fall in love with the show again

#9 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

The problem is the show has become too nonsensical. How much going back and forth between romantic flings can there possibly be?

As of right now, the show only has one character worth cheering for left. And that's Nate. Almost everyone else has fallen off the deep end.

#10 thresholdofreality

thresholdofreality

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

I'm done cheering for Nate - I've accepted the fact that nothing remotely worthwhile will happen to his character.

As addicting as GG is, I really wish the show ended with a bang during its third season. 5 more episodes left, and I still have no idea what this season is about!

#11 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm done cheering for Nate - I've accepted the fact that nothing remotely worthwhile will happen to his character.

As addicting as GG is, I really wish the show ended with a bang during its third season. 5 more episodes left, and I still have no idea what this season is about!

Honestly, this "season" if you can even call it that, is about the writers trying to put together some semblance of an ending. For which they aren't doing a really good job of.

Overall, even though the show was slipping anyway, the reason this final season is THIS bad is because I don't think they expected to be canceled. So they're trying to make an attempt at a proper end.

#12 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

I actually only care about Blair past season 4. And I actually liked the interaction with Dan, I think the literary-and-artsy Blair has a lot of class :) Them watching old movies together always made me smile.

But it is true that Blair lost some of her bite. The friendship with Serena was also not too... well. I did not care about Serena through the series, except when Blair cared.

#13 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

The show, for me, was Blair and Serena and their friendship. I could never like Dan and Blair for that reason...I know S slept with Nate, but she was drinking and drugging then (not to mention like 15 years old). Blair would have known better and valued her friendship with S more than any flirtation Dan. 

See that's an interesting point because, if I wanted to date the ex-boyfriend-turned-brother of my best friend, I don't think it would be such a bad thing. I think a strong friendship could get over this... Though I do also think that I would ask first if it's okay and respect the feelings of the best friend.

I think though that Blair gets the feeling that Serena always gets whatever she wants, even what does not belong to her or what is off-limits (Nate, sure, but also other things like everybody's love, including Blair's mother and the one time where Blair thought that of course, S got the prince and she, the driver), whereas Blair has to fight tooth and nail for it. That may explain some of her actions -- the idea that "S is selfish anyway", but I think that to her, getting close to Dan really was not about Serena. She got so much shit from Chuck, I expect some part of her was just so glad about this new developing relationship and about being special for him (and yes before S was it but she did not replace S, they had something different) that she got caught up in it, even letting it go to a place that she herself did not really expect or want to go.