• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sansa Stark

Sansa Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Have your National Hockey League discussion here. It's all about the lockout!

#2 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Sadly it is Sansa, but thanks for the opportunity to speak of the NHL!

As a longtime Kings fan, back to their early days in the late 60's, it's a bittersweet time. They win the Cup, after all these years, yet the greed on both sides, is so frustrating & maddening, & we can't even see them lower the Stanley Cup banner! There is enough revenue there for everyone, on both sides of the puck, to not put us fans in the middle, After all, it is us the fans that pay them all, directly & indirectly!

I love this game, but I'm getting more than a little angry at them all! Sure I want to see them get back on the ice, however, if they all lose a full season of salary, maybe they will look in the collective mirror & get back to work !

#3 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

It is feeling more & more like the NHL may not have a season. They are saying a mid January deadline for signing a Collective Bargaining Agreement must be met or more than likely, they will not b
Both the NHL & NHLPA are holding us fans hostage, so they can make more money ! I can't even afford to go to a Kings game anymore!

So greed may well keep this season in it's entirety & put the 2012/2013 season, no pun intended, on ice.

#4 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Sorry Sansa as I was hoping for some true sports fans, to talk some Ice Hockey & Baseball as well. Obviously, I know the NHL is in a stand off, but was hoping fans of this great game, would have their opinions on the Lockout/Strike & their favorite teams, if they may play this season. I also realize MLB is in the off season, but there is a lot to speak about as my Dodgers made a lot of trades & free agent signings, late last season as well as the off season, and other teams have been very active as well.

#5 Sansa Stark

Sansa Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

No worries, SweetBeast. At least we now have a thread available if or when the NHL season starts.

#6 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Thank you Sansa; I'm trying :-)

Yes, but it looks grim as the NHLPA(union) is trying to decertify the union, so that will allow the athletes always offer up the excuses " most players may only make 500,000 & the average career span may be only 5 years - hmmm, 5 years X 500 grand ? What player cannot live on 2.5 minimum ?! that is more than the average person in this world, yet it's never enough. People living in cardboard boxes, people with no health insurance, 4 of my 12 surgeries have been neck cancer surgeries, & while I have insurance, I still have to pay for room; the last time was $864.00!!!

Point is, they ALL make a very healthy income & it frustrates me to no end when these overpaid Primadonnas change teams every year or 2, only to follow the money, and they want to renegotiate in the midst of an existing contract they signed! They signed their contacts, why after 2 of a 4 year deal do they want to renegotiate. It's because that player on another team, now makes more than he - hey, you signed the contract, be a man & honor your contract !

#7 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

It seems push came to shove & both greedy sides realized that A, they were both losing tremendous amounts of revenue & salaries, & B, they are collectively shooting each other in the foot. Of the 4 major sports here in the U.S., the NHL can ill afford to take another step back.

What I am saying is the NHLPA & the NHL have agreed in principal to to a new CBA(Collective Bargaining Agreement) & both sides now will have to ratify the new deal, which most seem to think is only a matter procedure at this time & there may be games as early as the 15th or 19th of this month.They are saying most likely a 48 game schedule, perhaps 50 games will fill up the new schedule.

I have gone on record stating I don't even care if they come back this season as a full season's loss of salaries & revenue would serve them all some reality. That said, being a 40+ years Kings fan & not having the banner being raised & able to celebrate the Cup win, I am glad for us long, loyal Kings fans, who will soon get to experience this great moment !

#8 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

The NHL made great strides several years back when they made the game much more fan friendly & instituting a legitimate hard cap for salaries, unlike MLB & the NBA where the teams as the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox & Angels & the Lakers, Celtics, Heat, & others don't abide by the "hard" caps in their respective leagues, as all they do is pay a fine for going over the cap.

And Gary Bettman's lame apology to the fans was more than a little late as both sides could have avoided this all together & if not for the possibility of the NHLPA de-certifying, this may still be going on

Too little too late, Gary !

#9 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

The NHLPA ratified the new CBA today, & a week from tonight, Saturday the 19th, the Kings open their limited schedule & will be raising the 2012 Stanley Cup banner!!!

Though I still take serious issue with both the NHL & NHLPA, for putting us fans out in the cold, it will be good to see the Kings play, but I am looking more forward to the Stanley Cup banner presentation !

#10 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Oh Kings, what a horrible start ! I was, as were so many, glad to see the Stanley Cup banner being raised & the players & coaches said & I paraphrase here, it was great to win the Cup for our fans, but now it's back to work.

Pffffttt ! They had equal time to prepare & the 'Hawks even had to travel, yet the Kings came out sluggish, no intensity & because they were so slow, they were taking stupid penalties, to wit, Matt Greene! He took 2 Interference calls as he was behind the play but neither was even a clear path to the net!

They skated as if they were in the sand, Quick was anything but, & again, such little intensity!

Granted it's but the first game, but what an absolute letdown & the nerve that management/owners had to raise prices just for this game!

Watch the films, Kings & try & not repeat this lackluster, sloth-like effort !

#11 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

The Kings are now 1-3 after a solid effort against the Phoenix Coyotes last night; Great goaltending, a solid blue line, standing up at center ice, a gritty fore check & back check. It's only 1 game, but a start, I hope!

#12 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Still no Hockey fans? There must a few out there, so come on in as it's no fun to only see my writing.

#13 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hawks won the Stanley cup this year. Anyone else kind of surprised by this? They destroyed Bruins. 

#14 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Honestly, I didn't even watch it at all this year. I was so angry about the lockout that I refused to support the NHL in any way. I do plan on watching the season next year though, but this year, I just tuned out.

#15 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

It was barely 'worth it' to watch the season after the lockout anyways since so many players went on to international leagues because NHL was locked out, I know quite a few Canadian players went to play for the Russian KHL and I'm sure the contracts stated that they couldn't return to the NHL during that time period anyways. That's probably why a lot of the teams who are generally good really sucked this season. I didn't follow it too carefully after the lockout though because I waited so long for it then gave up, then when the lockout ended I just didn't have time to catch up. I just learned the winners from the news but didn't watch any of the games.

#16 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to be such a huge but rather disappointing franchise and the only thing that saves them is their past and being recognized as a multi-time Stanley Cup winner. But for all the sponsors and fans the team has and for the lengthy amount of years the Leafs have aimed to take home another trophy since 1967 and all the loses they proceed to stack up on, they still cannot do it. It's incredibly upsetting. 

#17 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

NHL has more action than most other sports. That is why I like it.

#18 FanGirl

FanGirl

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

News today was talking about how many teams in the League have players coming down with the mumps. I guess I am having a hard time understanding this since most Americans as well as American athletes have to be immunized. Granted there are players from other countries but I was pretty certain that part of the visa process was having your immunizations up to date.  It will be interesting to see if we ever get a cause. I am wondering if maybe there is something else that changed that is making some sort of reaction that looks like mumps. Maybe a change in the ice chemicals or something?

#19 Beabo

Beabo

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:02 AM

News today was talking about how many teams in the League have players coming down with the mumps. I guess I am having a hard time understanding this since most Americans as well as American athletes have to be immunized. Granted there are players from other countries but I was pretty certain that part of the visa process was having your immunizations up to date.  It will be interesting to see if we ever get a cause. I am wondering if maybe there is something else that changed that is making some sort of reaction that looks like mumps. Maybe a change in the ice chemicals or something?

I was actually wondering about this as well! Lots of players getting the mumps, even if they've gotten booster shots within the rise of the cases. Plus, you have guys who went to the last Olympics who got the mumps as well - but then they needed the vaccines and immunizations to go to the Olympics. Really peculiar. I think it was speculated that maybe the strain going around the players is a strain that developed to withstand the vaccine they're currently giving out. Plus, the vaccine itself apparently doesn't work 100% of the time. So there's that.

I'm just glad that it seems like it's dying down. The Rangers are on a roll at the moment, and I'd hate for the mumps to just put a stop to the team's progress.

#20 Fin3213

Fin3213

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

It seems like that mumps outbreak in the NHL has finally gotten under control.  It was strange that it became as widespread as it did.  As a Blackhawks fan, I am glad that it didn't effect my team, not that they needed it as an excuse considering the up and down season they have had this year (relative to their talent level).  I can't believe the playoffs are almost here.  Is there anything better than playoff hockey?  The answer of course, is no.