• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

While the Biggest Loser can be entertaining, I'm not sure it sends the right message about healthy weight loss as most people don't have the time and means to go to a retreat where they focus 100% of their day on losing weight.The show is popular because everyone wants to see the contestants make rapid transformations, however, shows where people are taught how to cook balanced meals and start exercise regimes at home, probably send a better message. Losing weight isn't about competing in over the top challenges, like pulling cars, it's about keeping up an exercise regime, one people can stuck to in the long term. In saying this it would be interesting to see Rueben Studdard on the Biggest Loser.

I could not agree with you more. There is something about this so that makes me so uneasy. I hate the exploitive way these people treated. They have these people strip down and expose their bodies to the word during weigh ins. This is not necessary because it has been reveled that the contestants have been weighed in ahead time. I feel like this show sends the message obese people are one big joke and that are not to be treated are human being.

#22 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

Recap for The Premiere of Season 15 aired on October 15th

You Get a Second Chance

The trainers casted 15 contestants out of 50 people that were sent to them. This is the first time that the Biggest Loser Producers though that this should up to the trainers to select who they thought would benefit being on the ranch. Ruben Studdard was already selected. So the trainers selected 14 more. Thus they sent 35 home. 

During the selection process, Dolvett chose Tanya because she had a crush on him. He chose David because he needed to get his life back together, after he lost his first wife to cancer. He promised to raise her girls and is on the ranch to keep that promise to them. 

Bob chose Hap because he thought that Hap needed some direction. He also chose Bobby, his namesake, because he thought that Bobby was ready to make a change and would do well on the ranch. He chose Holly because he wanted the challenge of a olympic wieght lifter there. He planned on learning from her as well. 

Jillian chose Rachel to bring back the athlete and swimmer in her. She chose Fernands because she thought that she would benefit from being there, on the ranch. She chose Greg who was diagnosed with illnesses, so that he could do something to stay alive for his children. 

All together, the contestants are Ruben, Greg, Fernanda, Tumi, Jay, Marie, Hap, Bobby, Holly, Chelsea, Brea, Tanya, David, Rachel and Jennifer. 

The trainers took the contestants to the gym and tested them to see who would workout best with each trainer. 

Teams were decided and they are:

Jillian: The White Team: Greg, Fernanda, Jay, Marie and Tumi

Bob: The Blue Team: Holly, Hap, Chelsea, Brea, Bobby and Matt

Dolvett:The Red Team: Ruben, Tanya, David, Rachell and Jennifer

Contestants were trained all week. 

The constestants use an ice cool l down so that they would not be injured.  Ruben was one of four in the ice tub. When he got out, she called his shoulder and upper back hair discusting. 

For the weigh in:

Blue team lost 88lbs at 5.15 %

Red Team lost 107lbs at 6.45%

White Team Lost 71lbs at 4.75%

The white team lost the weigh in. The person who fell below the red line was Greg at 9 lbs lost. 

Since the new thing of this season in the trainer saves, Jillian used her one stay so that Greg stays. She has heart, always. 

David lost the highest amount at 38lbs. 

Ruben mentioned being able to go on with his singing career on stage while he hopes to become one of the best, but was worried that it could be cut short by diabetes and or a heart attack. Ruben started at 409 lbs on the ranch. 

#23 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

This is my recap for episode 2 that aired this past Tuesday, Oct. 22nd. Emotions were riding high. 

This is the dreaded week 2 at the ranch where most plataeus in weight loss are starting. Especially since the big drop in week one.
To top it all off, host Ali Sweeney bought in the Dice Challange. Not very well liked by the contestants and trainers.

Jillian counseled Greg on the feeling guilty for the loss of his father. He had blammed himself for not saving his father. He was only three years old when his father died. His father was taking care of his brother who was four and Greg until their mother returned. When he passed out on the floor, the kids thought that he was playing. So they jumped on top of him. Then they noticed that he wasn't moving. Then they thought he was playing dead. Greg said that he realized there was a problem when his father's head fell to the side and saliva came out. They called their relatives for help who got an ambulance on the scene. By then he had already passed. Jillian got Greg to see that he needed to let that go so that his kids could have their father. He's there for his wife, his kids and himself.

Hap's wife had his their son, while he is on ranch getting healthy. They put him on Face Page on the internet to see his wife, their two daughters and his new born son. It turned out to be that Hap's once in lifetime experience that would be on the ranch was at the same time that his wife was due. He needed to take advantage of it while it was his for he may never have that chance again. He misses not being there, but he wants to hold his son. Bob told him that when you finish this, you will be there for all three of your kids for a very long time. Then he told him that you can do it.

Meanwhile, Ruben saw Dr. Huizenga who diagnosed him with Type II diabetes. His sugar levels are high all three blood tests.He didn't know that he had it.

For the Roll the Dice Challenge, four team members were all tied to each other on each of the teams, in a a pool. They had to be the first ones to fill up their tanks with gallon pails. When they rolled their die and it was a 1, it took them longer to fill their tank then those who rolled the higher numbers. In this challenge sixes are easier because you fill six pails and carry two each across while tied to each other, to fill your tank. The Blue team won because the Red Team spilled their last gallon of water, before they got their tank filled. Then the next step of this challenge is at the weigh in. The winning team trainer gets to role two dice to pick who they want to carry their team to win the weigh in. That's an advantage in week 2. The other two trainers role just the die for their teams. Whoever it lands on, has to carry that team through the weigh in. All the contestants worked out very hard not to let their teams and themselves down.

Here is how it went down for the weigh in:The Blue Team: Bob was given two dice to roll because his team won the challenge. He rolled Chelsea and Hap. He chose Hap to represent the Blue team.

Jillian then rolled the die for the White Team. She rolled Fernada in. Neither one of them wanted it to be her.

Then Dolvett rolled Tanya in on his roll of the die for the Red Team. Neither one of them wanted her to be in that position, either. At least Tanya was confident that she worked hard enough this week, for them not to lose.

The end results are: The Blue Team: Hap lost 13 lbs representing them. All together they lost 3.37% of their body fat. The White Team: Fernada lost 2 lbs representing them. All together they lost .84%. The Red Team: Tonya lost 4 lbs representing them. All together, they lost 1.63%.. The Blue Team won the weigh in. Then the White Team lost the weigh in sending Fernada below the red line to go home. Jillian felt really bad and told her that she was sorry that she came up on her roll of the die for she needed to be here. She told her to just remember that she's an athlete and to keep going for her and her kids at home.

I do like the hour show on The Biggest Loser this season because it moves along without wasting too much time. The only thing that I missed is the improvements that they show near the end for those they sent home. In the end, I do think keeping it to the hour time slot will get some of the ratings up as well. I want to workout this week after all this. :-)

Edited by pftsusan, 24 October 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#24 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

I do like the hour show on The Biggest Loser this season because it moves along without wasting too much time. The only thing that I missed is the improvements that they show near the end for those they sent home. In the end, I do think keeping it to the hour time slot will get some of the ratings up as well. I want to workout this week after all this. :-)

#25 TABL

TABL

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

Wow!  Thank you for the recaps!  I haven't seen this show yet this season, but I want to.  I do enjoy it.  I like getting tips and idea for not only weight loss, but healthy living.

I enjoy this show.  But I think I too could lose weight if I had a trainer, and access to the fitness equipment, and someone coaching me, and helping me with eating!  In fact, I wish I had this! 

I like Reuben a lot.  400 lbs is a lot, I hope he is able to take some off and keep it off.  And I'm glad they caught the diabetes.  That is scary!

#26 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

I don't get why people watch this show. Probably never will. It's just a bunch of fat people trying to lose weight for money. How is that entertaining?

#27 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I don't get why people watch this show. Probably never will. It's just a bunch of fat people trying to lose weight for money. How is that entertaining?

I have seen it once or twice. there was a British one, but I don't think it airs anymore. Just in America now. My mother used to watch it, because she thought that it would inspire her to try to lose weight too.

#28 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hmm.. Perhaps that can be an acceptable reason for a few people. Still wouldn't explain why it's popular enough to inspire shows like this in other countries.

#29 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

They are addressing their issues doing something about it. It's all about Health, fitness combined with success and maintaining it. For the viewing audience, it's about connections for those interested in their health and fitness, not entertainment. When it inspires people to lose weight, that's good.

Edited by pftsusan, 28 October 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#30 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

So, because I am not overweight, the show has nothing for me? Makes sense I suppose.

Edited by jayant102, 28 October 2013 - 03:42 AM.

#31 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Recap for Episode Three.

This aired on Tuesday October 29th.

The Challenge for this episode, was the auction. That is all the teams went into the gym and it was emptied with Alison waiting for them. The teams were sent behind the panel of their color. Each were given $500. Biggest Loser Bucks with their trainer picture on them. The object was for them to bid to win the equipement that they would workout on for the week. They had to come up with strategies so that wouldn't lose the weigh in. The first thing up for grabs where the dumbells and the Kettlebells. The Blue Team won those for $112. That is because Bob had them working out on them, every day. The next up for grabs were the treadmills. The White  Team won those for $160. because they are Jillian's favorite. The save was used in episode 1 and Fernada went home in episode 2, So that was there way to stay. The Red Team won the Boxing equipment, Dovett's favorite. The Blue Team won the rowing machines. At the end, the White team went all out for the mystery auction. For the $50 that they had left, the mystery prize was three 50 lb bags of sugar. First, they were thinking about the temptation to eat it, then they finally got the concept to workout with them, instead. Still, the White Team was not happy with these. So Alison opens a door, under the bags of sugar, with a white envelop in it. She handed Jason the envelope. He pulled out a ticket to trade. With that ticket, he grabbed the Red Teams Boxing equipment, while they had to workout with the sugar. 

The trainers came into the gym, after the challenge, a little anxious, wondering what happened to the equipment while everything and everyone were looking at them funny. Dolvett was very unhappy without his equipment there to train them. Then he snapped over to training without the equipment. Jillian was also unhappy that some of her selection was missing, but was ok with what  they chose and she pushed them really hard. Bob was unhappy that his treadmills where not part of the workout for the Blue Team this week. 

For the weigh-in, the White Team won with 30 lbs lost at 1.73% body fat lost. The Blue Team came in second with 27 lbs,lost at 1.72 body fat lost. The Red Team lost the weigh in with 20 lbs lost. Tanya went under the red line with 2 lbs lost. Dolvett used his save to save her. 

This shows that you can still do workouts without equipment.

#32 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

Everyone is now making a massive deal about of Bib Harper coming out as gay, but come on. It's not we we didn't all already know that he was an obviously gay man as it was. Congrats to him anyway, for coming out. The LGBT community needs visibility. The more visibility the better.

#33 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:05 AM

Everyone is now making a massive deal about of Bib Harper coming out as gay, but come on. It's not we we didn't all already know that he was an obviously gay man as it was. Congrats to him anyway, for coming out. The LGBT community needs visibility. The more visibility the better.

Right on.  I don;t think that Bob Harper thought that he had to do this for himself. It's just he's been asked godzillion times by the public and the internet. Then bobby also was not the first gay contestant on the show having issues with coming out to his parents either. So I think that Bob Harper thought to lay evertying to rest, that he would this to help the next contestant who is gay. In this case, it was Bobby. anyway, WTG Bob Harper. 

#34 KTQueenofKnots

KTQueenofKnots

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Yeah I told my mom and she was like OH REALLY YOU DON'T SAY

it was cool of him to come out in order to benefit a gay contestant though.

#35 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Yeah I told my mom and she was like OH REALLY YOU DON'T SAY

it was cool of him to come out in order to benefit a gay contestant though.

Laughing my as off at your mother's reaction. It is so annoying that it matters enough that people have to come out in the first place, especially when they are obviously gay, but whatever. I guess society needs for these types of things to happen.

#36 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hmm.. Perhaps that can be an acceptable reason for a few people. Still wouldn't explain why it's popular enough to inspire shows like this in other countries.

This show is great for overweight people. I have 2 slighty overweight sisters, they started a diet and everyday they would watch an episode of the show and go workout. Needless to say after some time they really slimmed up and got fit. So dont underestimate this shows power of motivation, most overweight people believe its impossible so when they see something like this they believe they can do it too :)

#37 MsReal20

MsReal20

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

This show does have its advantages and disadvantages, but overall i do like this show. The trainers are doing a good job of helping them with; exercise, eating wise,& most of all motivation. Everyone needs a friend/ Mentor, someone that cares enough for you to take the time to want to help you, but at the same time we tend to break down the same ones we are trying to buld up. These ppl probably built up enough courage to come on the show because everyone they loved probably gave up on them. The trainers are doing a good job of motivating  and watching what they eat, but you have to becareful not to break them mentally while ur breaking them down phisically  at the same time.

#38 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

This show does have its advantages and disadvantages, but overall i do like this show. The trainers are doing a good job of helping them with; exercise, eating wise,& most of all motivation. Everyone needs a friend/ Mentor, someone that cares enough for you to take the time to want to help you, but at the same time we tend to break down the same ones we are trying to buld up. These ppl probably built up enough courage to come on the show because everyone they loved probably gave up on them. The trainers are doing a good job of motivating  and watching what they eat, but you have to becareful not to break them mentally while ur breaking them down phisically  at the same time.

I heard that the show is terrible behind the scenes. That the contestans dehydrate themselves puke and dont eat anything before the weigh ins. They dont drink during the last workour either so the scale shows more pounds lost. It shows a great image and how things should be done but I dont think they do it in a healthy way

#39 dkramer

dkramer

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I like to watch The Biggest Loser because I'm happy for the people losing weight but it makes me feel ike a failure.  I'm actively trying to lose weight and while I realize I don't have a trainer, a kitchen with all the right foods, and nothing else to do with my day then workout I still get so discouraged when I see that one week I've lost nothing even while working out and eating right and these people are posting double digit numbers.

My mind understands that what they are living is not reality really and that they are going to struggle when they get back into the real world but the other part of me is jealous.

I would like a show better that has people trying to lose weight in the real world like the rest of us:  Trying to fit in exercise, trying to eat right, etc. while still working, taking care of a family, a house, etc.

Dawn

#40 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I like to watch The Biggest Loser because I'm happy for the people losing weight but it makes me feel ike a failure.  I'm actively trying to lose weight and while I realize I don't have a trainer, a kitchen with all the right foods, and nothing else to do with my day then workout I still get so discouraged when I see that one week I've lost nothing even while working out and eating right and these people are posting double digit numbers.

My mind understands that what they are living is not reality really and that they are going to struggle when they get back into the real world but the other part of me is jealous.

I would like a show better that has people trying to lose weight in the real world like the rest of us:  Trying to fit in exercise, trying to eat right, etc. while still working, taking care of a family, a house, etc.

Dawn

Dont feel like a failure and stay very motivated! The harder you persevere the closer you get to your goals!!

I used to be very overweight and lost all the pounds, I havent added any weight for 10 years!

Do it do it do it! Its the only way, no giving up!!