Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Defiance.jpg

#2 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

So I wanted this television show to be posted here on RealTVChat as I figured it might just become quite a hit and would love to talk about it with fellow members who are watching it. The interesting thing about this show is that it is going to unite scripted television with on-line gaming for the first time; Trion Worlds (the maker's of RIFT) have created this new game called Defiance and as the show airs the game world as well as the show will have interconnected story lines. Pretty neat in my opinion.

Here is the main, "about the show" synopsis, which has been taken from the main page of: http://www.showcase.ca/defiance

"An unprecedented approach to storytelling, Defiance will unite scripted television and online gaming for the very first time.  Both the series and the game feature an interconnected world and storylines that will launch in early April with the release of the game and continue seamlessly with the series premiere on the 15th.

Set in the near future, Defiance introduces an exotically transformed planet Earth, its landscapes permanently altered following the sudden – and tumultuous – arrival of seven unique alien races.  In this somewhat unknown and unpredictable landscape, the richly diverse, newly formed civilization of humans and aliens must learn to co-exist peacefully.  Each week, viewers will follow an immersive character drama set in the boom-town of Defiance, which sits atop the ruins of St. Louis, MO, while in the game, players will adventure in the new frontier of the San Francisco Bay area. The dramatic tapestry of the series and the intense action of the game will exist in a single universe where their respective narratives will inform one another and evolve together into one overall story.

Defiance stars Grant Bowler (Nolan), Julie Benz (Amanda Rosewater), Stephanie Leonidas (Irisa), Tony Curran (Datak Tarr), Jaime Murray (Stahma Tarr), Graham Greene (Rafe McCawley) and Mia Kirshner (Kenya)." (Showcase Website).

Now we all know that science fiction and alien races are not new to television, but I think that with the acting skills of the aforementioned actors, and today's technology... the show will be pretty intense and exciting. The fact that there is going to be seven different alien races that all land on Earth is going to be a fascinating venture into the relationships between home land species and new unknown grounds (in many areas including peace, co-existing, communication, and sharing of knowledge between all parties), but it allows for a lot of drama. 

Let me know what you think and I will get back to you after I watch the first episode!

#3 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I just can't bring myself to watch any shows on SyFy. I guess I grew out of them. I remember their better shows like The Invisible Man, The Chronicle, First Wave, LEXX, etc. Now, everything sucks.

#4 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I never even really new about SyFy, until recently so I have not become acquainted with their older shows. 

I am willing to give this show a shot, why not, it looks pretty neat. It might be a huge disappointment, but it might not be... you really shouldn't judge a new show without seeing it first... nor base whether you are going to view it or not on whether you liked the older shows better than any of the newer ones. Judgement before a review seems to be silly, you might actually miss out on something that you might like. 

But then again if you aren't into Science Fiction television, then of course don't bother. 

#5 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

I've seen the trailers, and they look horrible. That's why I won't watch this. I don't watch many shows because the trailers make them look terrible. Also SyFy and their cgi effects just bug me for some reason. I can't stand CGI anymore. Mostly because it's been so overused in today's cinema. You know it's bad when movies are using CGi fire and CGI water! So I've kind of become annoyed with anything on t.v. that uses cgi. I never really bothered with The Americans either. That show about Russian Spies living in America? I think it's a decade too late. And don't even get me started on NBC's new upcoming shows. 

#6 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

They may look horrible to you, but others who enjoy C.G.I script, or those who actually are interested in seeing shows that use a lot of C.G.I, might actually be interested in this show. I am guessing that since you seem to be so against the use of C.G.I, you also did not like the show Terra Nova? I liked Terra Nova and it is the only show that I actually watched that had a lot of noticeable C.G.I use, and since I thoroughly enjoyed it I figured I would check this show out.

Now, CGI might be overused in a lot of shows and cinema, but the thing is... I don't want a lot of television... you sound like you do, so I can understand why you would be sick of it so to speak. However, me not having a lot of television shows under my belt, am not bothered by the use of C.G.I.

I did not watch the show, "The Americans," either, but that's specifically because I do not care much for Russian Spies or that whole scene. Furthermore, I never knew about the show to begin with.

#7 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

No didn't bother with Terra Nova either. But I do try to watch some episodes of Being Human? But the problem with that show is the vampire/werewolf stuff is poorly played out. Defiance is something I would've watched back in Syfy's Earth 2 days. But all these shows with people trying to band together to survive insurmountable odds or some non-human threat are becoming tiresome now.

#8 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I loved Farscape, and this is by the same creators so I've started watching it. 

The first episode is strong, and the setting is not really like most of the post-invasion type shows that you see since the Earth has been terraformed (or xenoformed, or whatever) so it's long past the "take back the planet" type scenario you usually encounter.

The next couple of episodes have been good enough, but not great. We'll see how it goes from here. At the very least it is nice to see Julie Benz onscreen again.

#9 evelynmcgregor

evelynmcgregor

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

I watch Defiance every week.  I find the idea of humans and aliens co-existing very interesting.  I like the actors and actresses and the characters they play. And Julie Benz is great.

#10 nhipaah

nhipaah

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

I've only seen the first episode of the series, and it was great. I played more of the game, though. My boyfriend and I both loved it for a while. As someone who hasn't seen all that much of it on television, I have a question to ask people who've both played and seen Defiance: Which one would you prefer, game or television show? And what are some differences?

#11 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

I've known about the show before its launch but since I no l onger have cable, I never got around to actually watching the show, I did however play the MMOFPS game of Defiance, which I definitely liked. I was waiting for the current season to expand a few more episodes before I picked it up because I know I will go on a watching binge.

#12 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

I loved this show, hated the way it ended though. I'm curious if they ended it the way they did because they are planning on canceling it. I have not seen any indication that they are bringing it back yet, but I have heard rumor that it is coming back this summer.

#13 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

Update:  Just went to the Defiance website and according to the site, Defiance is returning in 2015.  I have not found a definitive date or a trailer for it yet, I am searching the site as I type to try and see if I can get more information.  If I find something I will post it.

#14 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

OK, just got full comfirmation that Defiance IS returning in 2015 with three new characters to add to the list.  This information comes directly from the SYFY website.  They have not confirmed a date as of yet, but it seems it may be later in the year.

New faces mean new stories (don't worry - the old gang of Nolan, Irisa, Amanda, Stahma, Datak, Rafe, Alak, Doc Yewll and Berlin will be back). As for what those stories will be....well, stay tuned.

Defiance returns later in 2015.

SYFY.com

They are currently in production as we speak.  Here is a link if you want to read more on this.

Defiance Gets Three New Residents