• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Aquar

Aquar

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

I'm still watching, but there is pretty much only one that I am remotely interested in and that's Danica. I think what I dislike the most about these shows is that it really goes away from the best singer to the best looking guy as most of the votes are for a bunch of delusional women picking their TV boyfriend, not any singer that has a shot at a career.

Not that any singer from The Voice has had a real chance. The only people that have done well with The Voice are the judges, but the TV boyfriend has been an issue on American Idol since Season 5 of American Idol and unfortunately, it's carried over to other shows. While The Voice is supposed to choose all of their singers just by the sound of the singer, once the coaches turn around, it goes back to who will be the most marketable.

Danica is nowhere near "the look," so I don't expect to see her for long.

Like it or not, being marketable is what being a singer is all about but I digress. The vocals should be important as well especially since the show is called the Voice. I think if I had a favorite it would be Matt. He's more non conventionally good looking and his voice has something unique to it so I think he's got the whole package. It shouldn't matter because like you say we're not looking for a date. It just helps when they have both.

#42 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

I didn't say I didn't like it about the business, I said that I don't like it regarding The Voice because the pretense is that they are "above" that when they are not. If they were truly about the voice and business, then Danica would have a better chance because she would be an Adele-lite, if Pharrell really wanted to push her.

#43 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

I am watching as I type. I love this Matt guy as well. Generally, I love a great voice and I love when an artist can hit the notes. However I am loving different more and more. I am moving away from the traditional great voices. 

Oh Jesus this Matt is killing me in the best way possible. "I can't take my eyes" off of him!!!!! He is outstanding!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know the song and I am in love. He is making me forget that I love Damian and Taylor John Williams. "Friggin Brilliant"' like Blake said. 

As much as I love Adam he needs to stop making some of these choices based on what he likes. I think he did Jameson an injustice giving him that Marvin Gay song. Just my humble opinion. I wish we could have three winners. Then it again, it doesn't always work best for the winners. American Idol taught us that.

#44 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:39 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one chuckling through "Sexual Healing." His voice wasn't bad, it's just that song exudes sex appeal, even if you've never seen or heard of Marvin Gaye. The fact that he had absolutely no connection to the crowd nor one ounce of steam made him look like a 16 year old boy walking around in his daddy's shoes out there. If anything, that song highlighted his weaknesses.

#45 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one chuckling through "Sexual Healing." His voice wasn't bad, it's just that song exudes sex appeal, even if you've never seen or heard of Marvin Gaye. The fact that he had absolutely no connection to the crowd nor one ounce of steam made him look like a 16 year old boy walking around in his daddy's shoes out there. If anything, that song highlighted his weaknesses.

:)  :) You were laughing? I felt like crying for the poor guy. The poor chap bit off more than he could chew and it's Adam that put the wrong piece of musical meat in the poor guy's mouth. It's not the first time I have seen him get lost in what he likes as opposed to what is suited for the singer. Then he has to behave as though it was oh so great. 

These shows are very unpredictable so you never know. The audience either loved him or felt sorry for him and felt the need to keep a lot of noise. As a mother I wanted to hold him and stroke his head and tell him "it's going to be okay, just not this season".

#46 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

I'll have to set my television to record, if they keep these new panels of judges, for next season.

I personally love Christina's music, I think she's talented, but she annoys me as a judge after one season in particular.  It was because of that season that I couldn't stand to watch the show, with her on it, if they could come up with contradictions of saying things like: "Oh, you're an awesome person. I love your singing; you'll go far in this competition." to very quickly, in that same breathe, "I'll have to cut you from my team." She actually did this to this one contestant that sang better! BETTER THAN HIS OPPONENT! You knew she was in the wrong because Adam just gave her this: "Are you being serious right now?!" type of look.

Honestly, I like Gwen over Christiana as a judge any day  She's fun and down to earth and I hope they keep her around, same thing for Phrallel. (I swear, that man could be a lawyer with the way he could convince someone to join his team!) 

#47 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

I'm really not a fan of bringing back singers to essentially leapfrog into the finals. If you weren't entertaining enough to stick it out throughout the season, then you shouldn't get a chance to come back and I actually like one of the people that has a chance to do it.

I think his name is Chris, but he's on Adam's team and he was wrongly convinced to sing "Sexual Healing." Anyway, he sang Adam's song the other night and him being a pop star is much more in his range than them trying to make him the newest example of blue eyed soul as he doesn't have the swagger to pull that off. It is not him and it never was, ever in his life. Not everyone is built to crossover, so just stay where you should be.

#48 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

Kendall, I agree with you on this leapfrog business to some extent. Right now I missed so much I don't even want to talk much until I know where we are exactly. I know Monday night is the finals so to speak. I came home to find one of favorites Damian  making a mess of a song. I had missed like half or more of both Monday and Tuesday night. 

The guy you are speaking of with the "Sexual Healing" song is Jameson, At least that is his last name. I was in time to hear him sing another song this week that was better suited for him. Anyway before I get all caught up, I am going to go and do a little catch up and see what surprises I am in for. I actually MISSED the three going forward. I am heading to YouTube and bracing myself for what I will find.

#49 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

"She's Out of My Life" is actually one of my least favorite songs and Damian is one of my least favorite singers on The Voice, but I had to give it up to him and Adam: he sang the good googly moogly out of that. That was the perfect song for him and for once, he didn't oversing and overemote while singing it. Some of these singers try so hard to be dramatic with these songs, that it makes it clear they have no idea of what they are singing about, but he got it right on that one song.

Hopefully, you'll watch it before you read this, I don't want to color your opinion regarding that performance. :)

#50 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

So let me get this straight. Damien was knocked out, came back as a wildcard and then ended up in the Finals? Because I missed so much and got lots of patches, the whole wild card thing went over my head. I took in a lot on Youtube and I agree with you about Damian and "She is Out of My Life". It was flawless. I heard a little of your girl Danica, but I have to confess I wasn't a big fan. It think it's because this season I have been caught up late in the game with the men and their "different" styles and voices.

I am going to miss little Taylor John Williams. I think there is something "special" about him. I read a lot of comments suggesting that the wildcard process is a scam, rigged and all the rest of it. Do your share their opinion? If the wildcards are fixed, wouldn't it be reasonable to think the whole show is rigged? I really don't know.

Edited by Silverfox, 11 December 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#51 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

Where is everyone? I am just in and got to see Jamison and his guys doing it. I have been missing loads of it and then have to go to YouTube to catch up. Catch up is never the same as being in my "front row" seat as I am right now. I am hoping I didn't miss most of the show. Anyway, I am off and running. Hopefully, we get to chat about it all tomorrow.

#52 PennySafe

PennySafe

Shy

• 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

Were you guys satisfied with the winner this season?   The country fans really do show up for theirs! My favorites this season were Taylor John Williams and Danica, but overall I think this season's group of vocalist sucked.  I heard Blake say that this was the best season they ever had and I'm like, 'no'.   One past contestant I'd love to see successful is Michelle Chemuel from Team Usher a couple seasons ago.  She had a pretty voice. 

#53 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:21 PM

I was not a big fan of the winner but in some ways it came as no surprise to me. Like you I liked Taylor John Williams but was not such a big fan of Danica. She has a good voice though, and even though it is called the Voice, I am convinced it involves much more than that. 

Damian I felt had a great voice as well but there was something else about him that was lacking in my opinion. Maybe it was his stage presence. Matt's voice in my humble opinion wasn't the greatest, but I thought he had a good command of the stage and a stage presence that was electrifying. I really liked him a lot and would have been cool with his winning.

Then there was my boy Jamison who I thought could just have easily won if it was more about crowd (the live audience) response. In the end the "crowd" in American gave him the third spot but he's still my boy even though his "Sexual Healing" hurt me :)

To your point about Blake. I just crack up when one of the judges remark you are the best singer or this is the best show. Next season will also be filled with "best". Trust me.

Edited by Silverfox, 24 December 2014 - 11:23 PM.

#54 shaybearlv

shaybearlv

Cordial

• 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:07 AM

I used to watch The Voice religiously and even had someone I knew make it to Team Blake a few years ago.  However, the past two seasons I have missed so much mainly because I do not think the judges interact well with one another.  Blake and Adam are always hilarious but I think the chemistry needs to be there with ALL the judges.  I was not surprised country won out again this year.  The country artists seem to be the only ones who actually further their career in these singing competitions.  I have not heard anything from non country winning acts.  I love all types of music but country is my favorite and no matter if I am watching or not, I guess I always root for Team Blake. :) 

#55 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

I think the reason why the country artists do so well on these shows is because overall, they stay true to who they are and want to be. The pop and R&B singers always at some point "crossover" into another genre that usually fails them spectacularly or unfortunately does well for them, so they start believing that they could appeal to everyone. But, when they put out an album, it's so generic in all of the genres they thought they were great in, that they just fall by the wayside.

#56 shaybearlv

shaybearlv

Cordial

• 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

I think the reason why the country artists do so well on these shows is because overall, they stay true to who they are and want to be. The pop and R&B singers always at some point "crossover" into another genre that usually fails them spectacularly or unfortunately does well for them, so they start believing that they could appeal to everyone. But, when they put out an album, it's so generic in all of the genres they thought they were great in, that they just fall by the wayside.

Cassadee Pope was not country originally and I remember so many of her fan base being upset that she went country which to me, was stupid because country suits her!  I love her music, have spoken with her and she is such a genuine person.  I do wonder if she is going to try to cross back over to her original genre of music eventually but it might not necessarily be career suicide.  There are some great crossovers but yes I agree many are way too generic.  I like all types of music but the past few years, the new music in general has not been good and only a few songs are worth adding to my iTunes list.  Hopefully this funk ends soon!