4 replies to this topic

#1 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Numb3rs_guy.jpg 

In the Los Angeles office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Special Agent Don Eppes and his team investigate critical and baffling crimes with a special edge. That advantage is Don's brother, Charles Eppes, a brilliant universalist mathematician who uses the science of mathematics with its complex equations to ferret out the most tricky criminals. With this team, the forces of evil learn their number is up.

#2 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

This show is currently my favourite on Netflix. I remember watching it a long time ago in my Math class when my math teacher was trying to get us super excited about math - the show was good and it made me interested in seeing what math could do but it did not make me any better, or any more appealed to actually doing math. However, I pretty much watch an episode or so a day, as I love being brought into the storylines of the main characters and being able to actually follow the solutions that they come up with to solve the crimes that have taken place. I am by no means a math genius, or any good at math really, but actually being able to see how math can be used/worked with to solve every day problems like specific crimes actually makes me interested in math. Furthermore, there isn't a phony aura around the show like you have with other crime shows (CSI), as it is real time problems and solutions - plus there isn't  a whole lot of gore either, no crude humor, no swearing, no sex scenes (well not graphic ones anyways) and there is excellent acting in my opinion. The plots are also quite interesting, and I can never figure out the outcome before the characters do which is a huge thing for me - if I figure it out before the characters on the show, then I just get bored with it.

Overall it follows a formula like any other show - but at least with this show it has an entertaining value in it that does not need to appeal to crudeness in order to make it exciting and interesting.

#3 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

I didn't watch this constantly, but I picked up enough of the episodes to enjoy it, if I came upon it while channel surfing. Judd Hirsch was playing the character he plays best, the daunting, yet loveable elderly father. He currently plays a very similar role in "Forever". He played the same kind of character on "Independence Day". I think the man is very stereotyped, but he does it so well, he seems like a friendly neighbor, or your best friend's dad. I hope that he is that way in real life, because I would hate to think he is some jerk in real life.

#4 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

This was also one of my favorites when it came on TV.  I really enjoyed it.  I think that David Krumholtz was very convincing as the nerdy genius.  And I did like Judd Hirsh as their father.  I agree with @primalclaws1974, that he plays this role so well - the wise father, who sees all sides of an issue and helps to keep the family together.  Rob Morrow on the other hand - I'm not sure about him in this show.  I liked him in others, but he just wasn't that convincing as an FBI agent.

I didn't realize that it was on netflix though.  Thanks for pointing that out @kementarri.  I'll have to add it to my queue and rewatch it.  It's been long enough that I really don't remember what happened in each episode, so it will be like watching it from scratch al over again.

#5 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

This show had an interesting premise and likable characters. It did start to feel overdone after a while, but it was a nice, clean show. I did enjoy watching it. It's kind of crazy how numbers can work to sort out so many things. I mean, I know it's TV, but just thinking about how numbers and patterns can tell so much more.