What are you watching this summer?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 devichan

devichan

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

I've been finishing my BA, so my TV watching this summer has been a lot lighter than it used to be. 

Current shows:

• Chopped - I love the looks on their faces when they get the baskets.
  • Cutthroat Kitchen - the aftershow online videos are hilarious.
  • Mythbusters - After all these years, I can't get enough of this show. Even when they aren't blowing things up. Sometimes especially when they aren't blowing things up.
  • Air Disaster
  • Ancient: Impossible

I watched Cosmos earlier in the year and I am so very much looking forward to Doctor Who on the 23rd!

#122 Livvvy

Livvvy

Cordial

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Honestly, all I've been watching recently is a bunch of Let's Plays and stuff from some of the groups I follow like LoadingReadyRun, but since that doesn't really count, I'll say that I've been marathoning Fringe. Things make so much more sense now that I'm watching it all together, rather than ages apart like I did when it was first coming out.

#123 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

I have a lot of episodes of Key & Peele on DVR, so I've been watching those this week. Originally Keegan Michael Key and Jordan Peele were cast against each other on MadTV because Fox wanted to pick one black actor. But they were so funny together that they kept both of them and they've been comedy partners ever since.

#124 Jamie Leigh Martin

Jamie Leigh Martin

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

I have been watching Chopped as well! I really like that one, but only rarely get to see it. Is it on Netflix? I have a feeling we're going to be watching a lot of Bridezillas and Say Yes To the Dress, and the like.  :wub:

#125 Sarcgirl

Sarcgirl

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I definitely watching America's Got Talent. I have enjoyed that program for several seasons now, and I look forward to it every Summer. I am also watching a program on CBS called the Bakers Challenge or something like that, it seems to be a good baking competition show. But other then that I'm not really getting into anything else, just more or less watching classic TV channel, more then anything else.

I always start off watching AGT but then I get tired of all the repeats.  That show repeats way to much.  I lose interest.  I forget what is a new episode or an old episode.  I will watch when the final episode is scheduled to air.

__peace

#126 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

There's so much stuff I want to watch! Summer's nearly over and I feel like I haven't watched anything at all, haha. I did watch the second season of Hemlock Grove though! It was.....interesting to say the least.

#127 jneanz

jneanz

Cordial

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Though I have mixed feelings about most reality shows, I like Ceelo Green's show on cable.  For those who don't know, dude's been around for about 20 years as part of Goodie Mob. They are an ATL group similar to Outkast but never really caught on or crossed over to mainstream.  Anyway, he brought them on the show where the focus is making a comeback.  Some things are a little silly but they seem to know this.

I tried watching Extant on CBS but it was boring.  As much as I like Halle, I'd rather see Frankie and Alice again, or even Catwoman.

#128 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

From the same maker of The Boondocks, there is a show called Black Jesus that has come out. The first episode has come out today :) Cannot wait to watch it later; I hope it is funny, or at least as funny as the Boondocks was.

#129 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

I definitely watching America's Got Talent. I have enjoyed that program for several seasons now, and I look forward to it every Summer. I am also watching a program on CBS called the Bakers Challenge or something like that, it seems to be a good baking competition show. But other then that I'm not really getting into anything else, just more or less watching classic TV channel, more then anything else.

I always start off watching AGT but then I get tired of all the repeats.  That show repeats way to much.  I lose interest.  I forget what is a new episode or an old episode.  I will watch when the final episode is scheduled to air.

__peace

Agreed, They show too many recap episodes of "the best performances so far" and it feels like watching repeats. They should have a new episode every week. Those clip shows are boring.

From the same maker of The Boondocks, there is a show called Black Jesus that has come out. The first episode has come out today :) Cannot wait to watch it later; I hope it is funny, or at least as funny as the Boondocks was.

The star of Black Jesus voiced the character Lamar in Grand Theft Auto 5. I've been watching clips of the show on Adult Swim's website. I like it already ,based on what I've seen so far.

If Jesus lived in modern day Compton, people would call him a freeloader and tell him to get a job. That's the world we live in.

#130 aimerz

aimerz

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

Mistresses and Under the Dome are my two favorites for this summer by far! Mistresses is not as "sexual" as I thought. Although it does have a decent amount of sex and a is a bit of a soapy drama, the actresses are great and the releationship between the girls is really amazing. It is a very hearfelt show.

Under the Dome is amazing this season! I won't say too much, but tonights episode was great. I loved where the tunnel under the school ended up leading. This show is so unpredictible and suspensful.

#131 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Did you ever get to watch Black Jesus? I actually really like it. I've seen 3 episodes now and the characters have grown on me. I'm interested to see if they'll ever get their community marijuana garden started. And what is Vic, the nasty landlord planning?

#132 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Did you ever get to watch Black Jesus? I actually really like it. I've seen 3 episodes now and the characters have grown on me. I'm interested to see if they'll ever get their community marijuana garden started. And what is Vic, the nasty landlord planning?

I ended up watching the first episode. Hey, I never knew that the same guy who voiced lamer from GTA was the same voice in Black Jesus lol. I didn't really connect with the first episode. I laughed a few times, but it wasn't smart and witty enough to really hold my attention.

#133 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:12 AM

I ended up watching the first episode. Hey, I never knew that the same guy who voiced lamer from GTA was the same voice in Black Jesus lol. I didn't really connect with the first episode. I laughed a few times, but it wasn't smart and witty enough to really hold my attention.

I thought I was going to like Black Jesus but I cannot get in to this show. They have taken things so far over the top that the show is unbearable for me to watch. The humor is just too low brow for me and way to vulgar.

#134 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Well it isn't just his voice in Black Jesus, it's also his face. It's a live action show. The characters grow on you so I think maybe you dismissed it too soon by giving up on it after the first episode, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I thought I was going to like Black Jesus but I cannot get in to this show. They have taken things so far over the top that the show is unbearable for me to watch. The humor is just too low brow for me and way to vulgar.

The show is set in Compton. I'm not sure what kind of highbrow humor you expected from a show that's set in the hood. The idea of the show is that if Jesus were alive today, his landlord would think he was a con man that needs to get a job, people would think he was a crazy bum, and people would be unbelieving and disrespectful but Jesus would love them anyway.

This show doesn't actually have a mean bone in its body. Jesus always tries to get his followers to choose nonviolent solutions. Yes he calls God "Pops" and says things like "Trust in yo boy." because a black Jesus in Compton wouldn't speak in Hebrew or Old English. Oh well, the show doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone's taste.

#135 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

The show grows? That may be the case, but for a new tv show, I think that they should have made more of an impact with the first episode. I will most definitely give more of the episodes another chance though if I have nothing else to watch. I like to eat and watch TV shows at the same time, so If I run out of stuff to watch and I'm eating I am going to give it a try.

#136 Arrowfan7813

Arrowfan7813

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

During the summer while I was waiting for Doctor Who to start back up I continued my quest to get caught up on the classic series. I'm up to season 14 I believe. I am halfway through the fourth Doctor's reign. I'll always be watching classic Doctor Who until I get completely caught up.

I stumbled on the show Grimm and decided to give that a try despite the fact that it was yet another supernatural show. Turns out it's yet another Supernatural show. The only difference is that Grimm doesn't have as nice of a variety of baddies. But I made my way through three seasons of this show. Had some fun moments. I really doubt I'll keep up with this one though. It's just a rehash of everything else. Doesn't really give any new perspective or anything. They just add impossible to pronounce german names for baddies. Meh.

#137 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Regarding Mistresses....

I just saw that Alyssa Milano is now leaving the show! They're moving production to Vancouver, Canada, and she's choosing to stay in the States with her kids.

I have no idea how they're going to continue the show without her. Yes, she's one of a few different women, but she clearly gets more airtime than the others, is more recognizable, and is very key to the show still at this point. :S

#138 Ava

Ava

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

Regarding Mistresses....

I just saw that Alyssa Milano is now leaving the show! They're moving production to Vancouver, Canada, and she's choosing to stay in the States with her kids.

I have no idea how they're going to continue the show without her. Yes, she's one of a few different women, but she clearly gets more airtime than the others, is more recognizable, and is very key to the show still at this point. :S

If I didn't love her already ..... Actors who put their families ahead of their careers are rare. 

I am sure they'll figure out a way to proceed without her. Without killing off her character. Leaving the door open for guest appearances.

#139 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, some people were throwing a fit about it, but honestly, they had it written right into her contract. She had them put in a clause that if they moved production to outside of L.A. that she would be able to step out of the show without breaking the terms of the contract. They moved the show, so she bowed out. The end! Her family is obviously important to her and she knew what her priorities were before she ever took the job (and so did the producers). 

#140 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

The show grows? That may be the case, but for a new tv show, I think that they should have made more of an impact with the first episode. I will most definitely give more of the episodes another chance though if I have nothing else to watch. I like to eat and watch TV shows at the same time, so If I run out of stuff to watch and I'm eating I am going to give it a try.

I've watched the first episode and even I don't like it as much as the others or think it's the best episode. As time goes on, Maggie becomes nicer, Miss Tudi decides to be less greedy for money,

and you see that the landlord isn't a cartoon villain but a guy who thinks Jesus is a cult leader misleading people. The show gets better as it goes on.