• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

I just wanted to start this thread to ask if anybody else was tuning in to watch a show called Catfish?

It's a show about people that talk online, and want to meet one another. Usually one half of the online couple is holding back, and doesn't want to meet in person, or Skype, or talk over the phone. This leads the other person to assume that their online partner is hiding something, and then they call up Max and Nev to investigate their online partner, and possibly arrange a meeting - in person.

All sorts of drama unfolds from there. The second season just began.

Here is a trailer: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CMA4x7aXJT0

Is anybody else watching this? If so, what do you think?

#2 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I've watched the show a few times before, and I have actually seen the movie. There's already a lot of rumours going around that thge movie itself was staged, so that's why I'm a little skeptical about the show. It can go either way honestly, I mean there are parts of the show that seem like they could be real and there are other times where you just look at the tv and say to yourself, there is no way that this person could not have known it was a hoax the whole time. I understand that there really aren't any complete reality shows, and there is usually some type of scripting invoved, but this show seems way too staged for me. There was an episode I saw with this girl named Rose, and I looked into her, and it turns out she's a model looking to make it big. So you see, it could have all been just for the sake of getting her face on TV. Who knows? For me, I just like my reality TV shows to feel a little more real, and this one just seems way too staged for my liking.

#3 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

Oh my God. Really? I haven't head anything about the movie being staged, and I spend a lot of time online. I listen to reviews on Youtube, and those reviewers pay attention to the blogs, which usually out things like that.

I really enjoy Catfish but some of the episodes do seem a bit staged. Like on the first episode of the season 2 premiere, when Cassy found out that the person that she was talking to online for 2 and a half years, was her best friend's cousin, who lived with that best friend. She was having phone sex with him every other night, and she couldn't put two and two together? I know that some people's voices sound similar, but what are the chances of knowing someone that close to you? I mean, she said that they were acquaintances and not regular friends, but still. I think you would remember the voice that you were having phone sex with, because that is all that there is in that moment - that person's voice.

I think that there are some episodes that are definitely real, but I would not be shocked if some were staged. Most reality TV is staged these days, but they are better than soaps in my opinion.

#4 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

This show, shows how many idiots there still are left in the world. In 2013, we have all kinds of ways to check people out. You can use your smart phone to send a video of yourself, Skype, Windows conferencing, web cam, etc. Yet folks still choose to peruse Facebook and get attached to a photo of someone, and claim they're in an "online relationship". So sad. People really need to wake up. This show has its comedic moments. But it's sad at the same time. These folks are so naive. 

#5 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

This show, shows how many idiots there still are left in the world. In 2013, we have all kinds of ways to check people out. You can use your smart phone to send a video of yourself, Skype, Windows conferencing, web cam, etc. Yet folks still choose to peruse Facebook and get attached to a photo of someone, and claim they're in an "online relationship". So sad. People really need to wake up. This show has its comedic moments. But it's sad at the same time. These folks are so naive. 

Yes. This is true. Thee are multiple ways to check someone out online. If you are savvy enough, you can even get into someone's private Facebook account. You just have to be smart about it, but finding out who they know - preferably someone from their past - ans add them. They instantly accept. I have done this before in the past, and it works flawlessly. I mean, I know that these people don't want to feel like they are betraying the person that they are talking to, which is a little silly to be honest. If you don't trust them then you don't trust them. That is that. You must come first, right?

But even having said all of that, a LOT of people are so computer illiterate. They mess up on sending a simple email. But after catfish has revealed multiple ways to dox someone - and doxing is the correct hacking name for searching a person out online - then people should just rinse and repeat what they see Nev and Max do.

The show is always a little funny, and always a little sad, and always a little hopeful for me. It really takes you through your emotions.

#6 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

It strikes me as strange when people assume this show is staged, out of all the reality shows out there this is one of the most honest and raw ones. 

Anyways, the reason I am actually commenting on this thread was because I was totally shocked the other day when I came across Nev's Twitter account, and found out he had a girlfriend.  I really thought Nev and Max were in love, hahaa.  I mean if you seen the original Catfish movie and you seen the original woman that "catfished" Nev, you would totally understand why he would want to switch teams.  So many people though that Nev was into guys, it's so funny to seem him interacting with his girlfriend online. 

#7 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

It strikes me as strange when people assume this show is staged, out of all the reality shows out there this is one of the most honest and raw ones. 

Anyways, the reason I am actually commenting on this thread was because I was totally shocked the other day when I came across Nev's Twitter account, and found out he had a girlfriend.  I really thought Nev and Max were in love, hahaa.  I mean if you seen the original Catfish movie and you seen the original woman that "catfished" Nev, you would totally understand why he would want to switch teams.  So many people though that Nev was into guys, it's so funny to seem him interacting with his girlfriend online. 

I feel the same. Some things do come across as a little bit questionable, but I feel that that is down to the way that the show is edited at times. Like, when they find the person's facebook page and leave them a message telling them to call Nev back, and within second they get a phone call. A lot of people will just think that it is fake because they won't believe that the person contacted them that quickly, but they perhaps edited out the waiting bit, because of the show's time limit. There are a lot of things to take into consideration when saying that a show is fake.

Yes, my mother also assumed that Max and Nev were lovers, and my sister thought that they were brothers, but Nev strikes me as straight and I have flawless gaydar so... Lol

#8 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

I feel the same. Some things do come across as a little bit questionable, but I feel that that is down to the way that the show is edited at times. Like, when they find the person's facebook page and leave them a message telling them to call Nev back, and within second they get a phone call. A lot of people will just think that it is fake because they won't believe that the person contacted them that quickly, but they perhaps edited out the waiting bit, because of the show's time limit. There are a lot of things to take into consideration when saying that a show is fake.

Portions of the show are DEFINITELY edited, that is without question.  It would be impossible to fit the entire journey into one perfect hour of filming without editing it.  But, I honestly don't believe it is staged.  MTV is a major network, they know how to pull in numbers, if they were going to stage the show they would bring in much more attractive people.  I try not to be judgemental, but some of the people Nev comes across are downright repulsive. 

#9 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Portions of the show are DEFINITELY edited, that is without question.  It would be impossible to fit the entire journey into one perfect hour of filming without editing it.  But, I honestly don't believe it is staged.  MTV is a major network, they know how to pull in numbers, if they were going to stage the show they would bring in much more attractive people.  I try not to be judgemental, but some of the people Nev comes across are downright repulsive. 

A lot of people are not happy about the fact that this second season has consisted mainly of minorities, and all of their online lovers turned out not to be the people that they said they were, and then the moment a white woman is on the show, the man that she has been talking to turns out to be real. I don't know if you have watched the latest episode, so I hope I have not ruined anything for you. People already think that black people are ratchet as it is, and we don't need any more reinforcement of that, in my opinion.

#10 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

A lot of people are not happy about the fact that this second season has consisted mainly of minorities, and all of their online lovers turned out not to be the people that they said they were, and then the moment a white woman is on the show, the man that she has been talking to turns out to be real. I don't know if you have watched the latest episode, so I hope I have not ruined anything for you. People already think that black people are ratchet as it is, and we don't need any more reinforcement of that, in my opinion.

So tonight I caught the episode with Jordan and Jeszika/Alexis.  I expected the girl Jordan was meeting to be busted, usually good-looking people don't feel the need to hide behind fake photos.  Then Alexis came out and I was like "Aww she's pretty, why would she lie about who she was?"  And then she opened her mouth, and it was obvious.  I was in awe of how delusional and self-absorbed that girl was.  How you hide behind a fake photo for two years, talk to multiple dudes online and pretend to be in relationships with them, pretend to have a fake baby, and then you think you have a right to catch an attitude because the dude you are lying to has a girlfriend?   

#11 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

So tonight I caught the episode with Jordan and Jeszika/Alexis.  I expected the girl Jordan was meeting to be busted, usually good-looking people don't feel the need to hide behind fake photos.  Then Alexis came out and I was like "Aww she's pretty, why would she lie about who she was?"  And then she opened her mouth, and it was obvious.  I was in awe of how delusional and self-absorbed that girl was.  How you hide behind a fake photo for two years, talk to multiple dudes online and pretend to be in relationships with them, pretend to have a fake baby, and then you think you have a right to catch an attitude because the dude you are lying to has a girlfriend?   

I have to agree. I felt the same thing. I didn't actually think that Alexis was pretty, but I knew that she was not ugly either and that many other men would have not thought twice about hooking up with, or talking to her in a romantic sense. But as soon as she opened her mouth, it did become apparent what was going on, and why she would feel the need to catfish the other guy.

On the other hand, both of them deserved one another for their underhanded ways. He literally told his girlfriend that if the prettier, more fun-looking, sex girl in the pictures doesn't turn out to be real, then I am coming back to your church-going looking ass lol. Rafanee wasn't the prettiest girl but she needs a boost in self esteem. She has none.

#12 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

I have to agree. I felt the same thing. I didn't actually think that Alexis was pretty, but I knew that she was not ugly either and that many other men would have not thought twice about hooking up with, or talking to her in a romantic sense. But as soon as she opened her mouth, it did become apparent what was going on, and why she would feel the need to catfish the other guy.

On the other hand, both of them deserved one another for their underhanded ways. He literally told his girlfriend that if the prettier, more fun-looking, sex girl in the pictures doesn't turn out to be real, then I am coming back to your church-going looking ass lol. Rafanee wasn't the prettiest girl but she needs a boost in self esteem. She has none.

I wanted to smack some sense into Rafanee.  She reminded me of too many girls I know that let dudes walk all over them, and try to justify letting their man treat them like garbage.  Jordan came right out and said point blank that he was homeless until he met Rafanee and she let him move in with her.  Who do you think paid for their cute matching sneakers?  He didn't drop Alexis because she lied about who she was, he went back to Rafanee because he didn't have anywhere else to live. 

#13 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

I wanted to smack some sense into Rafanee.  She reminded me of too many girls I know that let dudes walk all over them, and try to justify letting their man treat them like garbage.  Jordan came right out and said point blank that he was homeless until he met Rafanee and she let him move in with her.  Who do you think paid for their cute matching sneakers?  He didn't drop Alexis because she lied about who she was, he went back to Rafanee because he didn't have anywhere else to live. 

She reminded you of too many girls? Lmao! I don't know any girls like her personally. I know that some women are this way, with no self-worth or self-esteem, but damn. If I was one of her family members I would have single-handedly split their relationship up. does Rafenee not have a mother? Why is her mother just ok with the way that her boyfriend is treating her? She is a consolation prize and nothing more. I don't even think that he is attracted to her. He is very selfish and they would be better off just being friends as opposed to him holding her back from finding someone who will make her their number one.

#14 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

I hope not. If some white people are gonna call blacks ratchet, do we need to get into the Real Housewives shows? Lots of them are going down for fraud. One couple did just today. 16 and Pregnant? All white girls. As was Teen Mom. And lets also not forget we had nearly nine months of cold-blooded terror in America thanks to the Aurora theater shooting and the New Town school shooting. I think considering America is changing so rapidly, whites now have more out-of-wedlock births than minorities for the first time in American history.

More whites are on welfare than any other race, and whites are dying at a faster rate than any other race in America. Mostly because Whites are the oldest race in America. The average white person is 50+ years old. Compared to 18 for Blacks and Hispanics. If these opinions of minorities don't change soon, with Latinos, Blacks, and in some studies Asians..set to outnumber whites in America by 2022...we could have some serious social problems, and ugly confrontations in this country. A country that everyone outside of it, already thinks is racist and backwards.

Yes. This is true. Thee are multiple ways to check someone out online. If you are savvy enough, you can even get into someone's private Facebook account. You just have to be smart about it, but finding out who they know - preferably someone from their past - ans add them. They instantly accept. I have done this before in the past, and it works flawlessly. I mean, I know that these people don't want to feel like they are betraying the person that they are talking to, which is a little silly to be honest. If you don't trust them then you don't trust them. That is that. You must come first, right?

But even having said all of that, a LOT of people are so computer illiterate. They mess up on sending a simple email. But after catfish has revealed multiple ways to dox someone - and doxing is the correct hacking name for searching a person out online - then people should just rinse and repeat what they see Nev and Max do.

The show is always a little funny, and always a little sad, and always a little hopeful for me. It really takes you through your emotions.

It's laziness but also fear. Once you become attached to a photo, you want it to be true. So bad, that finding out the real truth is scary. So you succumb to the fantasy. It works that way with online porn too. Lots of these pinup girls do not run their own websites, or are hired models. So the guys who frequent these sites, are in love with someone who isn't even really talking to them in their blogs, and such.

#15 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

I hope not. If some white people are gonna call blacks ratchet, do we need to get into the Real Housewives shows? Lots of them are going down for fraud. One couple did just today. 16 and Pregnant? All white girls. As was Teen Mom. And lets also not forget we had nearly nine months of cold-blooded terror in America thanks to the Aurora theater shooting and the New Town school shooting. I think considering America is changing so rapidly, whites now have more out-of-wedlock births than minorities for the first time in American history.

More whites are on welfare than any other race, and whites are dying at a faster rate than any other race in America. Mostly because Whites are the oldest race in America. The average white person is 50+ years old. Compared to 18 for Blacks and Hispanics. If these opinions of minorities don't change soon, with Latinos, Blacks, and in some studies Asians..set to outnumber whites in America by 2022...we could have some serious social problems, and ugly confrontations in this country. A country that everyone outside of it, already thinks is racist and backwards.

>> 

It's laziness but also fear. Once you become attached to a photo, you want it to be true. So bad, that finding out the real truth is scary. So you succumb to the fantasy. It works that way with online porn too. Lots of these pinup girls do not run their own websites, or are hired models. So the guys who frequent these sites, are in love with someone who isn't even really talking to them in their blogs, and such.

Trust me, I am completely on board with you about the people thinking that black people are ratchet. But being black - as I assume that you are - you will probably already know that as soon as a black person does something, it is magnified and scrutinized in a way that it may not have been if the person was not black. The media really does not help with this either, instead doing the opposite.

I mean, not to derail this thread; but after the Trayvon Martin thing, racial hostility is already high at the moment. And if we - and by we I mean humans beings, not just countries-  do not start to create social equality soon or in the near future, we are going to have problems for sure.

It is very easy to succumb to the fantasy. I have never been catfished but I have dated online a few times, and I was attached to the fantasy of it all,but mine all turned out to be real lol, so I didn't have to worry. But if I already had a partner then to go as far as to want to meet the online person that I had been talking to? That is incredibly selfish and inconsiderate. I think that he would have still gone to see if Jessica was real whether he had Rafanee's blessing or not. That is a massive lack of respect, and she is too low on herself to see it, or do anything about it. I find that to be a real shame.

Edited by pipergale, 30 July 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#16 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Yeah the magnified thing is definitely true. But I also notice most people who think that way, not all....but most reside in a particular part of the country. The same parts where they are anti-abortion, anti-women's rights, etc. There are a lot of shifts going on in America. People of certain ages now all live in one place, sports teams in certain cities have an upper hand when wooing free agents as opposed to other teams, and lots of cities are losing their sports teams to more vibrant cities. 

It seems the country is kind of shifting into one big us versus them pool. Businesses seem to be flocking and building more in cities now. Wal Mart has become 15 times more determined to put a store here in NYC than they were last year. Add to that a new basketball team was given to Brooklyn last year. Meanwhile, you have places in the middle of the country without any of these things. Virginia for example, has no sports team to speak of!

Of course these changes are gonna mean NYC becomes more crowded and congested. We've already landed record population as of six months ago according to the Mayor. Not sure how much more we can take.

I have never dated online. It's not worth it. It really isn't. I am ok with blind dating, but online dating is not something people should do. Yet it seems more and more people are doing it. Maybe as a society, we are simply too busy for real relationships. Passing interests in sexy photos, texts, facebook postings or tweets are enough to suffice? 

#17 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

I absolutely agree with you, I don't think people are lazy or ignorant, I don't think they want to know the truth about their online lovers.  They like to look at a picture and create an entire fantasy about that person.  By not researching them they are able to ignore their flaws, and only see the good in them. 

#18 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Yeah the magnified thing is definitely true. But I also notice most people who think that way, not all....but most reside in a particular part of the country. The same parts where they are anti-abortion, anti-women's rights, etc. There are a lot of shifts going on in America. People of certain ages now all live in one place, sports teams in certain cities have an upper hand when wooing free agents as opposed to other teams, and lots of cities are losing their sports teams to more vibrant cities. 

It seems the country is kind of shifting into one big us versus them pool. Businesses seem to be flocking and building more in cities now. Wal Mart has become 15 times more determined to put a store here in NYC than they were last year. Add to that a new basketball team was given to Brooklyn last year. Meanwhile, you have places in the middle of the country without any of these things. Virginia for example, has no sports team to speak of!

Of course these changes are gonna mean NYC becomes more crowded and congested. We've already landed record population as of six months ago according to the Mayor. Not sure how much more we can take.

I have never dated online. It's not worth it. It really isn't. I am ok with blind dating, but online dating is not something people should do. Yet it seems more and more people are doing it. Maybe as a society, we are simply too busy for real relationships. Passing interests in sexy photos, texts, facebook postings or tweets are enough to suffice? 

The shifts that you speak of in your country are energy shifts; I hope you are aware. That is why people with the same mindset will gravitate to the same areas. It has been happening since the beginning of time, because the earth gives off its own energy. But it is happening in a more meticulous way now. That is what 2012 was all about, not the end of the world, but the end of the world as we know it. A big shift is taking place.

I disagree with you about the whole online thing. I have had some really fulfilling and satisfying interactions when it comes to online dating. I know of couples that met online and got their happily ever after with marriage and kids.

#19 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

I absolutely agree with you, I don't think people are lazy or ignorant, I don't think they want to know the truth about their online lovers.  They like to look at a picture and create an entire fantasy about that person.  By not researching them they are able to ignore their flaws, and only see the good in them. 

But that's dangerous. If they turn out to be like, totally not who they claimed to be. Or worse, a serial killer, rapist, etc. I just don't understand how people can go against everything they were taught growing up, just because they want companionship so bad. Especially considering lots of these people are college grads or are in college for what one would call "smart jobs". I would be quite concerned if my future portfolio manager were this naive. 

The shifts that you speak of in your country are energy shifts; I hope you are aware. That is why people with the same mindset will gravitate to the same areas. It has been happening since the beginning of time, because the earth gives off its own energy. But it is happening in a more meticulous way now. That is what 2012 was all about, not the end of the world, but the end of the world as we know it. A big shift is taking place.

I disagree with you about the whole online thing. I have had some really fulfilling and satisfying interactions when it comes to online dating. I know of couples that met online and got their happily ever after with marriage and kids.

Yeah I guess. 2012 had Americans thinking we were gonna lose the internet or suffer a worldwide black out. I never bought it. But the energy shift will definitely affect our politics for a long time. If you don't live in a place with major political juice, good luck getting anything you want passed.

#20 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

It's not really about stupidity. This actually happened to a close friend of mine, and he's a smart guy. The problem is really no different than a problem many people face in real-life dating: people want to find love so badly they are willing to ignore just about every red flag they come across. My friend noticed that his online girlfriend kept making excuses about why she "couldn't" skype, and of course he found it suspicious, but he was getting along with her and having nice conversations, and he didn't want to face that this person he was so excited about could be screwing him over. It's the same reason I ignored the early signs of abusive/controlling behavior in my ex boyfriends... It IS stupid, but it's more about lonliness. I didn't want to be alone. Neither do any of these people--that's why they are seeking a relationship in the first place, online or otherwise. Everyone is lonely.

It takes a really, REALLY strong person to walk away from a potential relationship because of early red flags. You have to be good being alone and willing to go back to being single and deal with the disappointment. Of course, you're only setting yourself up for more disappointment in the long run if the person is crazy/abusive/catfishing you, but denial is a powerful force.

All that said, I love the show. It really hits home, having real-life experience with the subject and having experienced multiple real relationships that began online.