• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#21 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

True, but the feeling of self preservation should kick in at some point. It's better to be lonely instead of emotionally or physically scarred, or worse. You'd think in today's selfish-driven society, more people would bail on bad or odd relationships if for any reason, to save their own sanity.

#22 bigt9204

bigt9204

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

Look my opinion about people that do this stuff on catfish is simple. They need to stop because all they doing is playing with people's hearts and emotions. Now my advice to the people that this happening to is simple. Because me and my girlfriend meet online but we had a process on how we handle our relationship in the beginning. First we took "real" pics of ourselves and sent it to one other. Second as the relationship flourished we Skype each other...we still do that till this day. And thats the key I think people that getting hurt forget. If a person doesn't want to skype with you...DON'T MESS WITH THEM! Now after a while of me and my girl using Skype. Then we went to the third step where I meet her in person where she lived. And when I saw her she was more beautiful than what I was seeing on Skype in my eyes. Online dating isn't bad it's just steps you have to follow to avoid hurt and have a successful relationship.

#23 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

True, but the feeling of self preservation should kick in at some point. It's better to be lonely instead of emotionally or physically scarred, or worse. You'd think in today's selfish-driven society, more people would bail on bad or odd relationships if for any reason, to save their own sanity.

Yes I agree that the feeling of self preservation should kick in at some point, which is why one would call Nev and Max to help them discover the truth. but a lot of people are so lost and disconnected from self that they seek it in others, and they are willing to go through anything to get that connection back. it is sad but eventually people will learn... I hope lol.

#24 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

A sense of self preservation doesn't exist when you have no self esteem. Believe me, I know.

#25 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

A sense of self preservation doesn't exist when you have no self esteem. Believe me, I know.

Forget self esteem what about survival instinct? I mean that's just about as base and natural as any human instinct can get.

#26 TNich24

TNich24

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

This show is definitely staged! Most reality shows are staged. I do like the whole premise of the show though. There are many people out there who have been "catfished" and this show gives a great lesson on why one should not trust online dating.

I guess I'm old fashioned because I still believe in actually meeting someone in "real life" and dating vs. dating over the internet for years without seeing a person. It's a bit odd to me, LOL

#27 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

It's difficult to meet people in real life if you're not the type to go out. I've met literally everyone I know on the Internet. It's kind of crazy when I think about it. I don't just mean boyfriends but all my closest girlfriends too.

#28 AngelicaNicole

AngelicaNicole

Cordial

• 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

I absolutely love this show! I have been watching it ever since it first came, and after that I was hooked. I think that it is unfortunate that people will lie behind the internet in lieu of being themselves. That is something that I have never done nor will I ever do that. I agree with the post above about it being difficult to meet people if you don't go out.

I am one of those people that do not go out and I would love to meet people in person but unfortunately I don't get out much. I work online, I run my businesses online, and I attend college online. So, meeting people face to face from an online social media is my only resort. I have made a lot of great female friends from online social networks. Not everyone is a bad person and have ill-intentions. 

#29 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

I think some of the catfishing that goes on is because people are afraid of rejecton and genuienly want love. But there's this whole other brand of catfishing that is just flat out screwing with people for the purpose of cruel entertainment. This type is the worst... these people who have 100 different fake profiles and are starting relationships with people on all of them. It's really scary. You literally do have to force people to prove who they are. Pictures aren't enough. You have to make them do something, like write a sign with your full name on it or do something really weird, like take a picture with an apple on your head (or whatever you request). It's scary out there, but as long as you make the person prove to be true early on, these sort of things can't happen.

#30 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

ok, this last episode was amazing.... the girl with the glass eye. I about died when she said, here you want to hold my eye? OMG .... Nev, really why did you have to do it man???? 

#31 BWR

BWR

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

I don't want to be a pessimist but I think that a lot of reality shows that depict relationships are staged, to a varying degrees depending on the show, but it still isn't "reality". 

I also feel that with show like this where your internet presence could be tracked via Skype, Facebook, Twitter,etc. you tend to always have the impression of being watched. It's like you always feel that someone's watching you and that in a way is true because in the digital age, real privacy is no longer what it used to be!

#32 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

I think some of the catfishing that goes on is because people are afraid of rejecton and genuienly want love. But there's this whole other brand of catfishing that is just flat out screwing with people for the purpose of cruel entertainment. This type is the worst... these people who have 100 different fake profiles and are starting relationships with people on all of them. It's really scary. You literally do have to force people to prove who they are. Pictures aren't enough. You have to make them do something, like write a sign with your full name on it or do something really weird, like take a picture with an apple on your head (or whatever you request). It's scary out there, but as long as you make the person prove to be true early on, these sort of things can't happen.

The bottom line for me is: If people were to treat one another better, then people would not feel like their only chance to meet someone was online. I know that this is not the reason for all online dating but it is responsible for a good portion of the mindsets of people who go online searching for romance.

Low self-esteem will f*ck up your life time and time again. being catfished or catfishing is just a symptom of a bigger problem in society that we must address.

#33 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

The bottom line for me is: If people were to treat one another better, then people would not feel like their only chance to meet someone was online. I know that this is not the reason for all online dating but it is responsible for a good portion of the mindsets of people who go online searching for romance.

Low self-esteem will f*ck up your life time and time again. being catfished or catfishing is just a symptom of a bigger problem in society that we must address.

I was in an abusive relationship with someone I met online. People treat you like crap no matter where you meet them, in my experience.

#34 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:48 AM

I was in an abusive relationship with someone I met online. People treat you like crap no matter where you meet them, in my experience.

But you have to realize that the common denominator is you in all of these experiences, so then it is something that you have to change. My mother has a friend who she has known and kept in contact with for years, and she attracts the same guys over and over again and gets treated exactly the same by each and every one of them. So then the problem is her. She also has self-worth and self-esteem issues. 

#35 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I just saw this show for the first time a few days ago. All I could do was sit there and shake my head. What is wrong with these people? How do they even have the time to create these elaborate fake lives let alone the ability to maintain them? What is the point?

#36 cg303

cg303

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have seen the first season . I don't get to watch the new ones hardly do to school and work. I was amazed that people would believe anything they hear online. I know you can talk to people but I wouldn't trust the person online. Since this is the second season people are more aware now and I wonder if they fake being catfish just to be on TV. I saw one from the new season and this guy said he never met her had no clue what she looked liked. Yet he was sending her money and even gave her access to his bank. When they finally met up she was saying he knew what she looked liked and so on. Than he said yes he knew but than it got confusing. Yes I believe you can find love online my mom met her new husband online and they been together for 11 years. You just have to be careful and not believe everything.

#37 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

I just saw this show for the first time a few days ago. All I could do was sit there and shake my head. What is wrong with these people? How do they even have the time to create these elaborate fake lives let alone the ability to maintain them? What is the point?

Lmao! Your frustration with these people is palpable and it is hilarious lmao! But a lot of these people have low self-esteem and are terribly insecure about themselves, for one reason or another. For some, talking to someone online and getting that ATTENTION is the best that it is going to get for them, and they take it and run with it. There really is no point, because most of them have no intention of ever meeting their online counterpart, but it is a fix for the moment that makes them feel good about themselves.

#38 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Lmao! Your frustration with these people is palpable and it is hilarious lmao! But a lot of these people have low self-esteem and are terribly insecure about themselves, for one reason or another. For some, talking to someone online and getting that ATTENTION is the best that it is going to get for them, and they take it and run with it. There really is no point, because most of them have no intention of ever meeting their online counterpart, but it is a fix for the moment that makes them feel good about themselves.

I am hardly frustrated. I get that part of it, and I understand how for people most of us would consider having social issues of some kind, connecting online makes things easier. However, some people take it to the extreme going to elaborate means and trickery.

#39 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

I am hardly frustrated. I get that part of it, and I understand how for people most of us would consider having social issues of some kind, connecting online makes things easier. However, some people take it to the extreme going to elaborate means and trickery.

That is how your post came across. it seemed like you didn't get it, and so you were frustrated with their behavior. There is no argument that some people take it to the extreme, but they will do and say anything to hold onto who they are talking to online, hence the extreme measures of trickery and lies. It is all pretty simple stuff to work out, so I don't understand what you are finding difficult to understand.

#40 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

That is how your post came across. it seemed like you didn't get it, and so you were frustrated with their behavior. There is no argument that some people take it to the extreme, but they will do and say anything to hold onto who they are talking to online, hence the extreme measures of trickery and lies. It is all pretty simple stuff to work out, so I don't understand what you are finding difficult to understand.

Nothing you have said addresses my initial post. At no point did I say I did not understand them; at no point did I say I was frustrated. It's a TV show about people that have absolutely nothing to do with me.