175 replies to this topic

#1 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

General thread for whatever is making it on  the news

Posters can start a continuing thread when this one cuts off at 200 replies.

There will be no moderation of this thread so please abide by the rules

Thank you

#2 XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXx

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

Anyone hear that Zimmerman is free? and was found not guilty? what are your thoughts? personally I think he is guilty.

#3 mkcookin

mkcookin

Cordial

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yes I think almost everyone has heard. I personally can not make a judgment call on this. No one really knows what happens but the cop and kid who is dead now. I will say people make him out to be an angel when he was not, and I will say it is suspicious that the cop would be chasing him down when he was unarmed. Either way, everyone as their own opinion. 

#4 BBFanAlways

BBFanAlways

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Anyone hear that Zimmerman is free? and was found not guilty? what are your thoughts? personally I think he is guilty.

Is that a trick question?

I can't unhear it 

It is a sad world we live in

#5 XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXx

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

I can't unhear it 

It is sad that murderers can get away with murder and not even get as so much as a slap on the wrist for the crime they committed.

Edited by XxMotleyCrueXx, 22 July 2013 - 03:25 AM.

#6 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

I can't unhear it 

It is sad that murderers can get away with murder and not even get as so much as a slap on the wrist for the crime they committed.

To be honest I don't really know how to feel about it as nobody really knows all of the facts about what went down that night. But from what I have gathered from the case, the cop decided that the boy was "sketchy" and decided to check it out... and eventually killed the boy .. for whatever reason. To me, it doesn't sound like the cop really had all that much of a case... he should be in jail for murder... but like I said... no one really knows the facts and the kid isn't alive to tell his side. Sad really that murders/deaths happen at the hands of so called people who serve their state.... the people in this world are just not right. 

#7 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

What?!? Are you serious? Yea, I'm being sarcastic right now.  I think everyone with a WIFI connection is aware of that.  As far as whether Zimmerman is guilty or not guilty, I really haven't followed the trial closely enough to make an educated decision.  What bothers me is how people are literally rioting and protesting this case, whether it is or isn't unjust, this happens literally every day.  It's almost sad how much press this case has gotten, while so many other cases which are painstakingly similar have just been lost in the shuffle.  I am truly sorry for Trayvon's friends and families, but things like this happen every day, don't you think some of the other victims' deserve a little bit of attention?

#8 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

The George Zimmerman Trial heavily upseted me. They had enough evidence to put Zimmerman away for whatever amount of years he should have, at the least, served for committing a murder, whether it was for racially profiling, criminally profiling, or just simply performing a professional misconduct of his area watchman duties. The 9-1-1 operator specifically told Zimmerman to wait for the police to arrive and not to approach Trayvon Martin, who was seen looking suspicious to him in the area and according to him, "drugged". He disobeys and follows Martin anyway and after assumptively not conducting himself professionally and becoming confrontational, this all leads to him killing the 17-year old teen with a firearm.

How does Florida allow him to get away with it and claim "stand your ground" or "self-defense" is merely ridiculous. They surely have to go rethink their laws now after they previously sentenced a lady to many years for doing the same thing of "defending herself". I just pray for the Martin family, even though they didn't get the justice they were looking for.

#9 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

So how about that royal baby? He was born. 

I don't actually care that much...I don't know anyone who really does.

#10 Reality Junkie

Reality Junkie

Friendly

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

I am so sick of hearing about the royal baby. 

There is no royalty in US the last time  I checked

#11 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

I am so sick of hearing about the royal baby. 

There is no royalty in US the last time  I checked

Well I live in the UK and I am also sick of hearing about this royal baby. Why do people care, and why are people making such a big fuss. Millions of women give birth and do what Kate did every single day. Millions of women have done that more than once too and nothing was written about then in any magazine or newspaper.

She is a regular woman, and that baby is a regular baby just like everybody else. So everyone going on like something magnificent or spectacular has happened is pretty annoying and shallow in my opinion.

#12 dmwynn1234

dmwynn1234

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

The thing that shocked me most was the feminism people have been having towards the royal baby. People talk about how they hope the baby boy turns out to be a transexual, or how he should be gay to make up for his mess up. In my opinion, I don't think it matters all too much that the baby was a boy. You ruined the royal bloodline? Who cares. At least you have a healthy baby that you now get to raise as a human being. Its not even the royal family that bothers me as much as it is the social media towards him... I'm sure mom and dad support the fact that it is a boy more than the people who even care about the royal family. 

#13 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

I am sick of hearing about royalty when it comes to the UK. If Canada isn't royal, America isn't royal or any other countries, what makes the UK so special to be called royal in everything their high chiefs do? It's just ridiculous, I'm sorry. It's nice to see Prince William and his wife have a boy, but this darn "royalty baby, royalty this, royalty that" is annoying.

Edited by Phoenix360, 28 July 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#14 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

IMO it's no different than people's obsession with the Kanye+Kim baby, it's all just celebrity worshipping culture. I tend to just tune people out when they start talking about it.

Anyone hear about Anthony Weiner's latest scandal additions? I find it absolutely hysterical. And even more hysterical that he never learns his lesson. And even more hysterical on top of it considering his name. He's still running for mayor, too...and he didn't learn his lesson the first time he got kicked out of office.

#15 BWR

BWR

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

There is an interesting theory on how the human mind "imprints" celebrities (royalty, famous politicians, actors, singes and other artistes for example) in an attempt to make sense of random patterns. For example, someone might say that he saw the image of Jesus on a pizza crust or the image of the Virgin Mary on made up of a collection of cracks on a cave wall. What this means is that the human mind is always trying to find familiar patterns in random things. It tries to pick up familiar-looking things in a sea of wild patterns. 

Now if we apply this theory on a much larger scale, on human populations, we can argue that with 7 billion people on Earth today (more than ever in the history of mankind) we are flooded on a daily basis with new faces.We meet new people on the streets, in restaurants, see their images on TV, in the movies, in stadiums, on magazine covers and newspapers etc. - a sea of humanity. What does our mind do? It automatically looks for familiar patterns, faces that are instantly recognizable and imprints on them, the way it makes us pick up random patterns in a pizza crust and tells us they look like Jesus. Our minds pick up on familiar faces; family, close friends....and celebrities.This is why, in our world with an increasing population, we are obsessed with celebrities. We might not know the thousands of people we see on the metro every day (random, faces, random patterns in our brains) but when we see a billboard with an image of Michael Jackson, that part of our brain that says "Familiar pattern!" immediately flares up. 

This is why we love talking and reading about William and Kate and their baby, for example. Or the latest celebrity gossip. They are recognizable patterns in a sea of humanity.

#16 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Finally, someone has the backbone to go up against the Scientology Cult! You go Leah Remini ! Filing a missing persons report for  Shelly (Michele) Miscavige, the wife of Scientology leader David Miscavige. No one has seen her since 2007! Thats 6 years. I would hope if I went missing people would look for me sooner than that! Oh Davis Miscavige.... you are going down man....

#17 cg303

cg303

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Did anyone hear about this article that was release . This mom received a letter telling her to euthanize her autistic son I couldn't believe it was true till I read the article we are in 2013. This person who wrote this clearly has issues. Complaining how much noise her son makes outside playing. I can understand complaining about a barking dog. My neighbors complain about my dog but instead of comming to me they call the police so I have warnings now. What's sad I can't even let my dog out on the weekends during the day.

Everyone behind me next to me has dogs and they go off at six in the morning. I have a link to the article it is truly disturbing.     http://ca.news.yahoo...-171036930.html

#18 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

If only the people really knew what the Royal families intentions were towards them., then first they would feel like fools for being royally swindled - no pun intended. and then they would be horrified as to all of the things that cause us misery that the Royal family along with others, have put into motion. Go and do your research folks. it is no coincidence that the Skull and Bones secret society came from Germany, and the English Royal Family is in fact primarily German.

#19 AngelicaNicole

AngelicaNicole

Cordial

• 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Wow, I read the article that cG303 provided and thank you for sharing that with us. I had not heard of someone suggesting to another person that they should euthanize their child as if they were a dog. I couldn't even euthanize a dog, so I can just imagine how I would feel if I were to kill a child in that way or even kill a child period--I could never.How dare that person suggest that because their child is autistic. I am appalled and in disbelief; I know that this is a cruel world but that is pretty extremely--the mindset of some people. 

Edited by AngelicaNicole, 20 August 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#20 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

As far as being able to die when you want to, I think that it should be legal in all countries. Thee have been plenty of times when I would rather not have been here, and I would have loved to have been able to have my life taken legally. it's not fair that other people tell you that you have to live.