• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

I haven't watched it, but I've heard some of the dialogue was absolutely terrible. I was thinking of giving it a try until I heard the kinds of things they say and do. I think the vampire/werewolf thing is a bit played out, and I'm not all that interested in it anyway. I also don't like when shows use shock value to capture people's attention; it's cheap and it's poor writing. Still, I'm interested in hearing what people who have watched the show think.

#2 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Has anyone else watched this Netflix show? I gave it a try and it was the weirdest, most disturbing show I have seen in a long time. Especially the werewolf transformation and what the wolf did to the human remains. I won't go into it but it was nasty. I pushed through and it started getting good, but when i got to the end, it was just all to weird for me. And i felt not a lot of it made sense. I also just heard they renewed it for a second season. So was anyone a fan of this show or were you disapointed? And will you be watching the second season?

#3 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

I watched this show on Netflix and I enjoyed it.  I like the fact that it wasn't just another flaky supernatural teen drama, it was in depth and thought provoking.  Parts of it are a little confusing, but after you watch the show in its entirety, a lot of that confusion is cleared up.  I'm not surprised it was renewed, more people tuned into Hemlock Grove on its premiere day than House Of Cards (which was huge). 

#4 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

Yeah I watched Hemlock Grove on Netflix I believe a month or two ago and remember liking it, albeit it is sort of weird, violent, and peculiar, but it is also intriguing to watch. I am particularly fond of the compelling casting choice and the story itself was developing decently until they left us bewildered by the end of the first season. I am willing to watch the second season, because I want to know furthermore about what is going on.

#5 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

I watched this show on Netflix and I enjoyed it.  I like the fact that it wasn't just another flaky supernatural teen drama, it was in depth and thought provoking.  Parts of it are a little confusing, but after you watch the show in its entirety, a lot of that confusion is cleared up.  I'm not surprised it was renewed, more people tuned into Hemlock Grove on its premiere day than House Of Cards (which was huge). 

Actually for me, I thought the ending left you with a lot more questions then answers. Like I said , the middle of the series is a bit murky and doesn't make much sense, but the end was just downright weird. The whole thing with the sister just really threw me off.

#6 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Actually for me, I thought the ending left you with a lot more questions then answers. Like I said , the middle of the series is a bit murky and doesn't make much sense, but the end was just downright weird. The whole thing with the sister just really threw me off.

Know how in high-school English classes they assign you a really complicated book to read, and then they assign you an "aid" along with it (which is basically a less complicated book that explains all the confusing parts of the original book)?  Well I was a bit confused about some of the episodes, but I began browsing through some fan blogs dedicated to the series, by people who had also read the books that the series is based on, and they explained pretty much every question I had.  I think Hemlock Grove makes a lot more sense when you go online and finds "aids" to read while you watch it. 

#7 Clockword

Clockword

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, I'll be interested to see season two (didn't know it had been picked up already! Glad to hear it!) but the first season definitely left me feeling a little lukewarm. I guess it wasn't really what I was expecting. I thought it would be more of a horror, less of a mystery. Or at least a horror with mystery aspects. But the mystery seemed to really take over.

I liked the way the show looked and that it was grittier then the other supernatural shows out there. I enjoyed the characters and at heart the plot was really good. It just felt really slow at parts and again, I felt they advertised the show badly, giving the idea that it was a bit different then it actually was.

#8 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I've been meaning to watch this, there are suddenly a bunch of horror and supernatural shows to choose from though and I'm way behind.

Mainly I'm interested because of the cast, which is top notch, and I'm curious to see another of the SkarsgÄrd clan :)

#9 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

I love Hemlock Grove and can't wait for the next season. I always forget how messed up this show is when I recommend it to people! I'm going to rewatch it before the next season starts as it's been a while since I've seen it. I'm really into supernatural stuff but Hemlock Grove is amazing and just the right amount of weird and creepy for me.

#10 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I love Hemlock Grove and can't wait for the next season. I always forget how messed up this show is when I recommend it to people! I'm going to rewatch it before the next season starts as it's been a while since I've seen it. I'm really into supernatural stuff but Hemlock Grove is amazing and just the right amount of weird and creepy for me.

Yeah same here. I have to refresh my brain on that show, so I remember everything that`s going on. I hope season two is really good seeing that they sort of left the show on a cliffhanger on the last episode of the first season. I fully expect it to get even weirder and creepier, that`s for sure.

#11 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Yeah same here. I have to refresh my brain on that show, so I remember everything that`s going on. I hope season two is really good seeing that they sort of left the show on a cliffhanger on the last episode of the first season. I fully expect it to get even weirder and creepier, that`s for sure.

I started re-watching it the other day and spent most of the time thinking "What? I don't remember this happening!"

Me too, and I can't wait! I'm kind of bummed that they had to recast Shelley though. I don't know why but it's gonna be weird having to get used to a different actress.

#12 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

I started re-watching it the other day and spent most of the time thinking "What? I don't remember this happening!"

Me too, and I can't wait! I'm kind of bummed that they had to recast Shelley though. I don't know why but it's gonna be weird having to get used to a different actress.

Oh no! I strongly dislike when roles are re-casted in shows. It's usually never the same when someone else takes over. I am quite disappointed to hear that to be honest. I wonder if she had contract issues or if she just wanted to pursue other opportunities.

#13 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

I have no idea. I googled it but nothing came up, apart from the name of the actress that's been casted in her place. Whatever she decided, I wish her luck. She was so great as Shelley, I'm gonna miss her.

#14 Charli1908

Charli1908

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

I agree. It is disturbing, distasteful and extremely weird. But a lot of teenagers seem to enjoy it as I see via Twitter. I just can't get into that deep of a fantasy show -- yet alone gypsies and fairies. Way too much for me. The show however is highly rated for some reason. Maybe the targeted audience is of the younger generation. 

#15 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

I'm not a teenager and I enjoy it! I'm not usually a fan of supernatural/fantasy stuff but something about this show just hooks me in.

#16 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

Finally, a season two premiere date! Friday 11th July, mark your calendars!

#17 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Not much discussion going on in this thread but did anyone watch season two? Man, that finale confused the heck out of me! This show is so damn weird sometimes. Bring on season three!

#18 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

Not much discussion going on in this thread but did anyone watch season two? Man, that finale confused the heck out of me! This show is so damn weird sometimes. Bring on season three!

Yeah I finished up with season 2 in July. Quite a few events happened this past season. The whole Roman and Peter rocky relationship as a result of season 1 implications, some killer on the loose, the Olivia and Norman affair and all that. I found the end of the season to be not only weird but a little flat. What could have been one of the most jaw dropping season finale cliffhangers was ruined by the emergence of some creature. But anyway, I'll be watching season 3 when it comes out next year.

#19 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

I got hooked on this show.  I loved the idea of a werewolf and vampire becoming very close friends despite their differences and the fact they typically don't get along.  I like the way they both bring out the best in the other, they work together to protect the people of Hemlock Grove.  It is an amazing concept.