• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

I grew up reading the Harry Potter series. I loved these books as a kid, and the best part was that the target audience aged as I aged, so as I grew up, so did the books and the characters. And yet there's so many connections and foreshadowing all the way back in the first book that comes to light in the last one. JK Rowling made an amazing series. I've been considering going back and rereading them all again some time, but I know it'll never be the same as when I read them each for the first time.

I sometimes wish I could wipe all memories of the books and movies so that I can start all over again.

Any other Potter fans out there?

#2 dmwynn1234

dmwynn1234

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Most definitely! I remember back in 7th grade when I decided to read the entire series. Those books still bring nostalgic thoughts to my mind whenever I think about them, and the movies remind me of the books way too much. I agree, I definitely wish I could rewind my memories of ever reading them and start over. The series was probably one of the most impressive, interesting series I have read. It always kept me interested and I never got bored of it once. To be honest, I think it has a toll on my low social life I had back in middle school. I've read a good amount of books in my life, but I don't think any will ever top the Harry Potter series. J.K. Rowling is an amazing writer, and its a real shame that the series had to come to an end. But, like all good things, it had to come to an end. I'm just happy it ended on a good note and didn't make me want to destroy every book I had. 

#3 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

On the bright side of it taking a toll on your social life back then, nowadays there are so many fans that you can have conversations with them about it all now and not be afraid of giving away spoilers. I've met so many potterheads in college and we often discuss things in the books, series, and games. We're nerds. We also regularly discuss what houses we'd be sorted into.

#4 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

I read these a bit older, so they didn't have quite the same impact. I think the books you fall in love with in your early teens are the ones that stay closest to your heart.

Still, it was a great series, and I continue to enjoy Rowlings work. The movies were also well done, and I'm looking forward to the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them one. 

#5 TABL

TABL

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

I read the whole series in one summer, when I was 30.  :)  My daughter was reading them too... she was 11... she was so enthralled with those books!  I love the series and we also love the movies.  I think they are well done. 

#6 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

Read them as a kid. They haven't aged aged well and don't seem as interesting as they used to but they were definitely a very important part of how I developed as a reader. For introducing the written word to so many kids and doing it while telling a reasonably good story is something worth appreciating in my eyes.

#7 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

I read the whole series in one summer, when I was 30.  :)  My daughter was reading them too... she was 11... she was so enthralled with those books!  I love the series and we also love the movies.  I think they are well done. 

I must say that the movies were cool. I really enjoyed them, and I am a reader but something about the books just wasn't creatively written enough. I mean I know that the actual content was creative, BUT I have a certain eye for the way that things are written and I was not impressed  with the Harry Potter series in terms of that.

#8 wickedshizuku27

wickedshizuku27

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

I must say that the movies were cool. I really enjoyed them, and I am a reader but something about the books just wasn't creatively written enough. I mean I know that the actual content was creative, BUT I have a certain eye for the way that things are written and I was not impressed  with the Harry Potter series in terms of that.

The last two books felt like they were entirely too rushed. 

#9 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

The last two books felt like they were entirely too rushed. 

If they were written in the same manner in which the first few books were written then I wouldn't be impressed. As a writer, J.K Rowlings voice and tone just isn't effective enough for me. I mean I know that she was writing for children so she had to keep things simple, but I like complexity and intricate images being created in my head. I had a huge problem with her using said so-and-so after every single character spoke. She easily could have mixed thins up a bit.

#10 wickedshizuku27

wickedshizuku27

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yes, you're absolutely right. I battled with that irritation as well; though I think what bothered me more was the uninvolvement of the secondary characters. It wasn't believable by the end of the series. When the death of a character would come up it seemed like a callous event that was merely a means to an end. Disappointment abounds when it comes to Harry Potter.

#11 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Man, I miss Harry Potter. What's irritating about it though is that the last few books and movies were too drawn out and pretty much bored me to tears. And don't get me started on the damn epilogue! I would have liked it better if JK Rowling hadn't paired everybody up for the sake of a happy ending. 

#12 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

I LOVED the first three or two Harry Potter's. But yeah; let's just say that my mother used to fall asleep in the cinema each time we went to see a Harry Potter movie. I loved the length of the first two or three, but after that I wasn't too impressed. The books were long and drawn out too.

#13 VTEC 91244

VTEC 91244

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Read the lot of them one summer cover to cover. Expelliarmus, good old J.K.! :D

Saw all the movies too. Wanted to see things through. It's amazing how after all this time people still love it and they're still doing things based on it. I heard something about how they're adapting something about Nicholas Flamel into something. I forgot a bit, though.

#14 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

I am loving the Harry Potter re-runs on TV right now. The fall is my favorite season because TV networks love playing my favorite series. I just wish I had a fancy DVR and could fast forward through all of the commercials. It's fun to have in the background though. :)

#15 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

I love Harry Potter. I think the last book was amazing, with everything coming together and aspects of the story changing completely as you learned more! That said, yes, I do agree that the last volumes did get longer and this length many times did not mean it was more interesting or developed. Every book had something special and great moments, according to me. Great stuff for kids and for grown ups.

I also think that pairing off everybody for happy end sake is silly. But I thought this since Harry began having a crush on Ginny, so... :rolleyes:

#16 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

It's so interesting to hear everyone talk about reading the series as kids.  I actually read them TO my kid.  I remember hearing about the first Harry Potter on a talk show, some group was trying to have it sensored because it supposedly taught children how to perform witchcraft.  I was intrigued since I am adamently against sensorship.  So I got it from the library, and at 30 something years old, I was thoroughly entertained.  It was such a fun book to read.  My son was about 7 at the time, and we used it to help him learn to read.  I remember anxiously awaiting each new book coming out.  It was something that the two of us could do together and gave us a common interest.  I wasn't that impressed with the movies - they were good but came nowhere close to creating the magical world described in the books.

Edited by maladjusted, 07 January 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#17 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

It's so interesting to hear everyone talk about reading the series as kids.  I actually read them TO my kid.  I remember hearing about the first Harry Potter on a talk show, some group was trying to have it sensored because it supposedly taught children how to perform witchcraft.  I was intrigued since I am adamently against sensorship. 

... What? Where was that?

If it taught kids to perfom witchcraft, I would know how to make things float and open door and turn people to stone already!

I mean, I hope they meant that the book was about teaching kids witchcraft. Otherwise it makes no sense. Really.

*sigh* I wish I got a letter to go to Hogwarts.

#18 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

It's so interesting to hear everyone talk about reading the series as kids.  I actually read them TO my kid.  I remember hearing about the first Harry Potter on a talk show, some group was trying to have it sensored because it supposedly taught children how to perform witchcraft.  I was intrigued since I am adamently against sensorship. 

If it taught kids to perfom witchcraft, I would know how to make things float and open door and turn people to stone already!

I mean, I hope they meant that the book was about teaching kids witchcraft. Otherwise it makes no sense. Really.

I know, can you believe the stupidity of sensorship - I mean really, if you read the book you realize that it's nothing but fantasy.  Should we get rid of all fairy tales?  What about teaching our children to use their imagination!  If you don't want your child reading this book, fine - don't let him.  But leave me alone and allow me to read whatever I want.

BTW, I'm still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts - hope springs eternal and all that.

#19 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

I know, can you believe the stupidity of sensorship - I mean really, if you read the book you realize that it's nothing but fantasy.  Should we get rid of all fairy tales?  What about teaching our children to use their imagination!  If you don't want your child reading this book, fine - don't let him.  But leave me alone and allow me to read whatever I want.

BTW, I'm still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts - hope springs eternal and all that.

But I am French of language so they'd probably have sent me to Beauxbatons. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe the invitation letter does not come by owl and I was not watching out for it good enough!

#20 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

I bet I'm the only person who's not read the Harry Potter books. I watched all the movies back to back and absolutely enjoyed them. I don't know if I could have the energy to read the books, though! 

Regarding someone wanting the series to be censored- I think people sometimes protest for the sake of it, and political correctness has escalated to dizzy heights! It reminds me of people objecting to the children's nursery rhyme "bah, bah black sheep" as they argued it could incite racial tension?!?. This was a few years ago in the UK, and I thought it was just ludicrous.