• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

It's so interesting to hear everyone talk about reading the series as kids.  I actually read them TO my kid.  I remember hearing about the first Harry Potter on a talk show, some group was trying to have it sensored because it supposedly taught children how to perform witchcraft.  I was intrigued since I am adamently against sensorship.  So I got it from the library, and at 30 something years old, I was thoroughly entertained.  It was such a fun book to read.  My son was about 7 at the time, and we used it to help him learn to read.  I remember anxiously awaiting each new book coming out.  It was something that the two of us could do together and gave us a common interest.  I wasn't that impressed with the movies - they were good but came nowhere close to creating the magical world described in the books.

Oh yeah!  I think I do remember this happening, over here some idiots were claiming the series were satanic or something like that. There was a christian group behind those claims, claiming that those books shouldn't be read by kids, because the series had a really dark theme and talked about witchcraft and so on. Glad almost no one listened to them, most people ignored them.   A lot crazy people out there, no doubt about it!

#22 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

It's so interesting to hear everyone talk about reading the series as kids.  I actually read them TO my kid.  I remember hearing about the first Harry Potter on a talk show, some group was trying to have it sensored because it supposedly taught children how to perform witchcraft.  I was intrigued since I am adamently against sensorship.  So I got it from the library, and at 30 something years old, I was thoroughly entertained.  It was such a fun book to read.  My son was about 7 at the time, and we used it to help him learn to read.  I remember anxiously awaiting each new book coming out.  It was something that the two of us could do together and gave us a common interest.  I wasn't that impressed with the movies - they were good but came nowhere close to creating the magical world described in the books.

Oh yeah!  I think I do remember this happening, over here some idiots were claiming the series were satanic or something like that. There was a christian group behind those claims, claiming that those books shouldn't be read by kids, because the series had a really dark theme and talked about witchcraft and so on. Glad almost no one listened to them, most people ignored them.   A lot crazy people out there, no doubt about it!

And it's really funny - I never would have thought "satanic" if they hadn't brought it up.  But once you hear about someone wanting to sensor something, I just have to read it and see what it's about!  :)   My mom told me that when she was a kid (back in the 40s or 50s), people were trying to have the Tarzan books and movies sensored, because Tarzan and Jane weren't married.  She said that it had never even occured to her before that they weren't married, until some group brought it up.  It seems the ones that want to sensor things are the ones with the warped minds - that they see evil everywhere.

#23 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

Yes, sadly there are people out there who seem to think everything is bad and can see bad in everything. I try to stay away from that people, sadly I'm not so successful most of the time,  I still have to deal with people like that on a daily basis and let me tell you that kind of people are very unhappy people.  They want the rest of the world to be as unhappy as they are, so they start doing this kind of things. I'm glad they're not successful most of the time :)  Those people should always be ignored.

#24 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

Has anyone wonder what it would have been like if the Harry Potter story had taken place in the US? Just wondering, lol!  I like to think about that, about how different it would have been if the whole story had taken place in the US. Not sure if it'd have had the same appeal to be honest. All in all I am happy with Harry Potter being British (I love British culture), but can't help to wonder how different things would be if he were American xD  Gosh, it'd be so different. Maybe in an alternate universe Harry Potter is American ;)  How fun is that!

#25 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Maybe they should create a US version of Hogwarts.  They had a Bulgarian and a French one in there.  American witches and wizards running ramped.... now that would be funny to watch.