• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

I love audiobooks and prefer it on most occasions. I love being able to listen to a story while doing chores. It makes cleaning out the basement more bareable and I don't feel like I'm wasting time by just sitting around and reading. Does anyone else like listening to audiobooks?

#2 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

I love audiobooks, if I am being honest. There is something about having the story told to me and the different expressions and tones of voice, even if the same voice/person is narrating the story. I like to read, too, but there is nothing quite like having a story told to you in audiobook form. The only thing that is difficult about audiobooks is that not every book is in audiobook form, and so you have a very limited selection of the stories that you can have told to you.

#3 bluemoonmama

bluemoonmama

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

I love to read, but can not listen to audiobooks. My mind starts to wander and pretty soon I have no idea what the book is about. But my daughters love audiobooks. If you enjoy the classics check out http://librivox.org/ - the books are all free. They are public domain books (which means they are old, so no bestsellers here) and read by volunteers.

#4 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

Thank you for the link, bluemoonmama. But I am already aware of that site, and they do not have a wide enough range or selection of the books that I am interested in being turned into aidiobooks. I also read a lot of fanfiction and one of the authors of one of the most reviewed and favorited stories somehow found a way to audiobook the first chapter of that story. i will have to ask her how she did it.

#5 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

I like the idea of audio books for certain occasions, like when I am sitting on a beach, or riding on a bus or train. I find that audiobooks deliver exactly what I need for long trips, but when it comes down to whether or not I want a real book versus an audio book, while at home, I buy and read books. I find that there is just something about holding a book, that makes the book more surreal and draws you in farther. However, that was not your question.

So yes, I do listen to audio books when I can find ones that I like, it's just not all the time that I listen to them.

#6 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

Really? For me, nothing really draws you in more than an audiobook. I suppose it just depends on what your imagination is like and how active it is or can be, depending on what story you are reading or listening to. I love a good story telling. Sometimes I just can't get into a book when I am reading, but if I were to switch to an audio book I think i would get much more sucked in.

#7 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I have actually never tried audiobooks. I prefer my books on paper, I don't mind sitting down and reading if it's a good book. Also sometimes I like to listen to music while I read so that wouldn't work too well with audiobooks.

#8 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

Audio books just don't draw me in the same way a traditional does. I must say I enjoy turning pages and being able to read a book from cover to cover. Audio books so not stick with me the same way that reading a traditional book does. If the narrator's voice is not what I expect from the character I do not enjoy the book. I will listen to audio books but the are not my preference.

#9 cpw

cpw

Cordial

• 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

I used to have a thirty-minute commute to work, and for two years, I got really caught up on my book list by listening to books on CD in the car. I have to admit, some books have stuck with me from audio far better than those I've read. Middlesex was really good on audio. The reader was highly entertaining and did the different voices in a way that really sucked me in to the characters and all the different story lines. I've attempted to pick up that book on two occasions since, to "re-read" it, and somehow it just hasn't hooked me like it did on CD.

Another one that I was really sad to have end was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. This was a non-fiction by Kingsolver where she chronicles a year of "living off the land." It was so interesting and so wholesome. I felt healthier listening to it. Hah. But this is a book I'd probably have to have on my shelf if I ever was going to get really into gardening or something, because it was highly informative and would probably make a pretty good resource.

Brave New World was not so good on audio. I picked it up after listening to find that several of the characters names were nothing like I imagined them to be from the voice who read on the CD. It was hard to understand and often hard to hear. That one took a while and I tuned out a lot.

Right now I'm listening to The Good Earth and also really enjoying the reader. He has a really great voice for the style of writing, does the voices very naturally but each is definitely distinct. It feels like listening to poetry. I'm liking it a lot.

#10 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I love audiobooks and podcasts for commuting and for long walks. Not every audiobook is created equal, mind you, I definitely have some narrators I really like and you need to watch out for abridged books as well. 

I find them especially good for non-fiction, since I really enjoy non-fiction books but find I prioritize reading fiction most of the time.

#11 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

I only listen to audiobooks occasionally. I prefer to read physical books. I did like the audiobooks of the Tales of the Otori series of samurai novels because there's something about having the battles and clanging samurai sword described by an actor that makes it come to life.

#12 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

I only listen to audiobooks occasionally. I prefer to read physical books. I did like the audiobooks of the Tales of the Otori series of samurai novels because there's something about having the battles and clanging samurai sword described by an actor that makes it come to life.

It is strange to me, but I find that most other people prefer to read books rather than having them read to them in the form of an audiobook. I have to agree though, there is something about just sitting there with closed eyes and having someone narrate a scene to you and having it just come alive in your head. Both have their pros, and audiobooks need to be more universal and not just available for certain books. That is frustrating. I wish I could find audiobook making software.

#13 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Personally not a huge fan of audiobooks, their can be times when the narrator's voice doesn't seem to suit the story, other times the pacing seems a little off for my tastes. Even when both are perfect, I just doze off when someone is reading the book to me. Call me old fashioned but I can't seem to read ebooks either. Unless the book is in my hands, I don't get the full impact and don't even feel that I am reading it.

#14 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

Personally not a huge fan of audiobooks, their can be times when the narrator's voice doesn't seem to suit the story, other times the pacing seems a little off for my tastes. Even when both are perfect, I just doze off when someone is reading the book to me. Call me old fashioned but I can't seem to read ebooks either. Unless the book is in my hands, I don't get the full impact and don't even feel that I am reading it.

Wow, you are another person that doesn't gel well with venturing off from the traditional books. I can't seem to find many people who enjoy the audio books as much as I do, but your reasons for not being able to get into them makes a lot of sense, although I disagree with them.

#15 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Just listened to Wil Wheaton reading Redshirts, and was surprised that his narration sort of bugged me. I've listened to him before and enjoyed it, but wonder if he's better at first person narration than dialogue.

Has anyone else experienced this? A reader who is better at one type of writing? 

#16 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I enjoy audio books. Sometimes if I don't I feel like I am going to fall asleep. Lol I guess I just want to get the information. I learned to read at a very young age,,,, ( I was 4 and the youngest of 4 kids. My sister would come home from school and force flash cards on me) I think I am tired of actually reading the words.... like I said I just want the information.

#17 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

I took advantage of an offer for a free audio book. I must say that reading a book and listen to a book does not give me the same satisfaction. It just does not feel the same. I can fall asleep while listening to a book , but rarely do i fall asleep while reading a book.

#18 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

I took advantage of an offer for a free audio book. I must say that reading a book and listen to a book does not give me the same satisfaction. It just does not feel the same. I can fall asleep while listening to a book , but rarely do i fall asleep while reading a book.

Well, they are different experiences certainly, I wouldn't say falling asleep while having a book read to you is considered a flaw, though. In fact it is a time honoured tradition all over the world :)

#19 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well, they are different experiences certainly, I wouldn't say falling asleep while having a book read to you is considered a flaw, though. In fact it is a time honoured tradition all over the world :)

I think one reason may be because , the cold air constricts your airways. Some are more likely to pick up repertory illness that can trigger asthma. Another reason is during the colder months when tend to keep the house shut tight allowing dust , mold and other allergen to collect

#20 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

I enjoy audio books. Sometimes if I don't I feel like I am going to fall asleep. Lol I guess I just want to get the information. I learned to read at a very young age,,,, ( I was 4 and the youngest of 4 kids. My sister would come home from school and force flash cards on me) I think I am tired of actually reading the words.... like I said I just want the information.

This may be a very valid point - the age at which you learned to read. I have been reading and writing since a very young age too.I don't know - perhaps we feel like we need to relax our minds now lol. It really is nice to just lie there and be told a story. Our parents won't do it anymore since we are too old, so it is nostalgic, and plus some of the stories that we listen to are amazing.