• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 wickedshizuku27

wickedshizuku27

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

I love audiobooks, but I also love real books. Audiobook give you a broader range than sitting and reading though. When I listen to an audiobook I usually have checked out the hard copy as well so I can also follow along, but I'll get up when I need to. Example would be; well these dishes aren't going to wash themselves or this laundry isn't t going to magically fold either. So both are great, but audiobooks make you more mobile. 

Cheers!

#22 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

I just find that some people are more auditory over visual and other people are the other way. I like both methods of consuming information, but I really love a good audiobook. I find that I can sink further into the story when it is playing out in my ears. You can go on walks and listen to your story. They are much more versatile, in my opinion.

#23 fountainthom

fountainthom

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

I was actually just having this conversation the other day. I feel like I can only really listen to audio books when they're read by the actual author. Otherwise I like to read myself and have my own voice in my head for characters. I feel like authors reading their own books give a sense of legitimacy to the reading and the original intention, which is something you can't get from just reading it (though then you have your own interpretations, which is just as important).

#24 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

The last time I listened to an audiobook was in middle school. It's not necessarily that I don't like them, but that I find it better to just hold the book to my face and read it the conventional way versus listen to audio tell the story to me. I am more than capable of summoning up an imagination by reading the words to myself and getting on the edge of my seat in suspense doing the same thing.

Edited by Phoenix360, 13 January 2014 - 03:08 AM.

#25 scottguy

scottguy

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

I used to be really into audiobooks. Now it really depends on the reader but there are some I really love. I remember listening to Tim Curry reading all of the Series of Unfortunate Events books, and how really wonderfully he brought the books to life. However, there are some readers who really do very little for the book and therefore I'm much happier to establish my OWN voice for it in my head.

#26 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

I am actually currently listening to the Celestine Prophecy audiobook. I found it on Youtube. Nine hours long lol. I am currently one hour and fifteen minutes in, and it is a bit dull. I have been told that the first hundred pages are dull before it begins to pick up though. Having it read to me does help to keep the story alive though.

#27 wickedshizuku27

wickedshizuku27

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

I was actually just having this conversation the other day. I feel like I can only really listen to audio books when they're read by the actual author. Otherwise I like to read myself and have my own voice in my head for characters. I feel like authors reading their own books give a sense of legitimacy to the reading and the original intention, which is something you can't get from just reading it (though then you have your own interpretations, which is just as important).

I love this point you make, and I also wonder if you have listened to Neil Gaiman narrate his books?

#28 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

But how do you know if the actual author is reading/narrating the audio book or not? Unless, of course the author is a man and a woman is narrating on the audio book.

#29 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

I like listening to audiobooks when I am going for a long car rides or long train rides. They just help me pass the time. I think they're entertaining and it's time that I could be reading, but can't because I am on the road. I usually download them for free or go on my library's website to find some free audiobooks. They are worth your time.

#30 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

When I am on long rides and whatnot, I tend to listen to music instead of anything that I actually have to pay attention to? When I am out and about I tend to stay aware of everyone around me and what they are doing, in order for me to feel safe. I don't trust people; they are crazy and you never know when someone is going to snap lol. I have always been observant that way, and I couldn't have a story distracting me.

#31 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I've never listened to an audio book before. I prefer to read the words myself as I feel like I'd probably get distracted and not pay much attention if I was listening to someone else read the book to me.

#32 zerotoinfinity

zerotoinfinity

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

I don't normally listen to audiobooks until I found out about Audible - owned by Amazon.  They have a 30 day free trial and it works out like this (bear in mind that during the free trial you don't have to pay and you get one credit to redeem for any audiobook): after your free trial is up, each month you get 1 credit for a free audiobook (12 books a year).  This is also for the cheapest plan.,,there are other plans but I don't remember off the top of my head.  I downloaded an audiobook about physics and I'm enjoying every moment of it :D

#33 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Hmmm. Are you being paid by Amazon to talk good things about this new deal that they have lol??

If so it just may have worked, because that deal sounds interesting. Thanks for the information.

#34 zerotoinfinity

zerotoinfinity

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

Haha it sure does seem that way...but in all honesty I do work at Amazon...just not what you would expect lol.

You're welcome, glad to see someone could use my information to their own benefit :)

#35 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have heard of Kindle and such. There are a few more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. When I was in primary school they used to put on audiobooks when the teacher didn't show up. Sometimes we would watch a movie or we would have to listen to an audiobook. My love for them flourished then.

#36 VTEC 91244

VTEC 91244

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

I prefer audio dramas to audio books but I do listen to them once in a while. I mostly listen to Doctor Who ones. There's this one with the Tenth Doctor and Rose I have yet to finish read by David Tennant himself. I found it on YouTube and I'm almost to the end but I just haven't had time.

#37 Livvvy

Livvvy

Cordial

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

In my eyes-or should that be in my ears?-audiobooks are really at their best when you've got someone who is good at acting. They need to be able to act in the different roles of the characters to an extent, changing their voices and mannerisms to suit not only what is currently happening, but also the personality of the characters themselves.

For example, you wouldn't want to listen to someone just read the lines of a character who is meant to be angry and judgemental, would you? You want them to be that angry and judgemental character, and for their voice to reflect that accordingly.

#38 mikasa

mikasa

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

I love audiobooks, but I really only listen to them if it is a book that I've read myself first to make sure I don't miss anything. Like pipergale said above, some people prefer visual and some people prefer auditory stimulation. I prefer visual, and I love making up voices for the characters in my own head first. I think that the imagination is more powerful than anything you could see or listen to. 

However, if I want to reread a book, I like to listen to the audiobook version instead. I love listening to the ASOIAF audiobooks while I'm at the gym, and I don't have to worry about missing anything because I've already read the books!

In my eyes-or should that be in my ears?-audiobooks are really at their best when you've got someone who is good at acting. They need to be able to act in the different roles of the characters to an extent, changing their voices and mannerisms to suit not only what is currently happening, but also the personality of the characters themselves.

For example, you wouldn't want to listen to someone just read the lines of a character who is meant to be angry and judgemental, would you? You want them to be that angry and judgemental character, and for their voice to reflect that accordingly.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. A bad reader/actor doing audiobooks can ruin the experience. 

#39 Kazda

Kazda

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

This is very true for me. I cannot listen to an audiobook read by someone who isn't the author, particularly if it sounds unnatural. I'm very picky about my audiobooks in that regard. However, there are some books that just wouldn't be the same if I didn't listen to the audiobook. My Talk Pretty One Day, written and read by David Sedaris, is ultimately my favorite audiobook. His voice is practically necessary to convey the real tone and events, as they are all short, often humorous stories about him and his life. The audiobook has been uploaded to Youtube, I believe, for anyone who wants to check into it.  

#40 Livvvy

Livvvy

Cordial

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

I love audiobooks, but I really only listen to them if it is a book that I've read myself first to make sure I don't miss anything. Like pipergale said above, some people prefer visual and some people prefer auditory stimulation. I prefer visual, and I love making up voices for the characters in my own head first. I think that the imagination is more powerful than anything you could see or listen to. 

However, if I want to reread a book, I like to listen to the audiobook version instead. I love listening to the ASOIAF audiobooks while I'm at the gym, and I don't have to worry about missing anything because I've already read the books!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. A bad reader/actor doing audiobooks can ruin the experience. 

Please tell me you're listening to the Roy Detrise version of the ASOIAF audiobooks!? Because if you're not listening to him read them, you're missing out on such an amazing experience!