Does anyone listen to audiobooks?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Realtea

Realtea

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

I love reading but had little time to do it. Audiobooks really did fill that gap. Sometimes I couldn't listen because I hated the person's voice and tone. Other times I just loved the voice talent as I was sure they made the book even better. There's nothing like a thrilling audiobook when you have a long commute everyday. Awesome!

Edited by Realtea, 01 August 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#42 Jamie Leigh Martin

Jamie Leigh Martin

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

I don't mind having my lady read to me before bed; sometimes we do that, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about an audiobook. I suppose I will give it a try, then report back.

#43 Livvvy

Livvvy

Cordial

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

I don't mind having my lady read to me before bed; sometimes we do that, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about an audiobook. I suppose I will give it a try, then report back.

For some reason I thought you said a lady. Like, just some random lady that you got to read stories to you before bed.

Let us know how it goes though :)

#44 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

I don't mind audiobooks when the voice acting and sound effects add to the story. Like once I was listening to an audiobook that was a samurai novel set in feudal Japan.

The voice actors did Japanese accents and there was dramatic koto music playing, and swords clanging so it brought the story to life. I like it when an audiobook puts you into the story instead of distracting you from the story,

Edited by TVismyfriend, 11 August 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#45 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

I have a relative who is legally blind who always loved to read. I am always looking for audio books for him, and I was surprised by the selection. I've found some great ones, and he has really enjoyed them. Audio books rock.

#46 chattygirl

chattygirl

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

I think I do better with audiobooks if I already have a general knowledge of the plot of the book. For example, I enjoyed listening to Sense and Sensibility, but I already knew the plot, and I had seen the movie.  If I try to listen to something that I am not familiar with, then I tend to miss something, I get lost.  

#47 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

I have started listening to free audiobooks on itunes. I am currently listening to The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I haven't read it since high school and boy did I think it was a whole other book back then. So much better now that I am an adult. 

#48 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

I love audio books, they are so practical and can be so entertaining, specially if you are waiting at the doc's office not having anything else to do. But if I am at home I still prefer reading a book, I like the fact one can highlight the important parts. That is important if you like reading self help books.

#49 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

I think I do better with audiobooks if I already have a general knowledge of the plot of the book. For example, I enjoyed listening to Sense and Sensibility, but I already knew the plot, and I had seen the movie.  If I try to listen to something that I am not familiar with, then I tend to miss something, I get lost.  

Same with me! I tend to miss really important things when listening to audio books! That is why I am not a huge fan of them, only listen to them when I have nothing else to do, otherwise I very much prefer reading a physical book.

#50 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:03 AM

No for me, the unique thing about reading books is that I get to imagine the storyline and characters in my own head with my own inner voice. Having a book read to me feels kind of weird

#51 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

I feel the same way, that is why I only listen to audio books when I've no better option.  Like for example when I'm at the doctor's office.  But most of the time after listening to the audio book, I go back to check the printed version (If I have it), because most of the time I find myself not fully grasping everything I heard. For me it's way easier to read a book than listen to it.  It might be because I suffer from ADD.