#1 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Official Website

Once-Upon-a-Time-in-Wonderland-wide-560x

In Victorian England, the young and beautiful Alice tells a tale of a strange new land that exists on the other side of a rabbit hole. An invisible cat, a hookah smoking caterpillar and playing cards that talk are just some of the fantastic things she’s seen during this impossible adventure. READ MORE

Have you been seeing the promos for that new show based on Alice in Wonderland? It actually looks like it might be kind of interesting. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the program or the network that will air it. Psychological dramas seem to be gaining more and more of an audience. Is anyone familiar with it and planning to watch it?

#2 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Well, I guess the lack of a response here, even after a moderator edited the title and initial post, tells me that no one here is interested in watching this show when it debuts in the fall. Or maybe it's just too early and everyone is still talking about what's happening on the summer shows?

#3 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

I have not been a fan of Grim and Happily Ever. They are on the scary side. I must say that this one I will check out . It seems interesting and more family friendly.

#4 GetFresh

GetFresh

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

This show is a spin-off Once Upon a Time on ABC.  I'm definitely going to watch it since I love the original series.  The writers put twists in every fairy tale story.

#5 BWR

BWR

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

I love Once Upon A Time! I have to admit this is one of those shows where the main villains are more interesting and complex than the heroes / heroines! I love Lana Parilla's Evil Queen performance, it is not too over-the-top and does reveal a hidden vulnerability that goes well with the flow and timbe of the series. That and Rumpelstiltskin! 

#6 Clockword

Clockword

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

I also love Once Upon a Time so I'm definitely interested in watching this based off of that. I heard originally it was just going to be a mini-series and in some ways I think that was a more interesting idea then turning it into a full-fledged show. Currently my loyalties are with the original Once Upon a Time, so I regret that this show probably means there are some fair tale characters that won't appear in the original, but probably once I start watching Wonderland it'll win me over. As long as the two shows are open to doing some cross overs occasionally, I'll be happy to have two Once Upon a Time shows on the air.

#7 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Wow, I wonder why I didn't receive notification for the comments all of you posted... I never watched Once Upon a Time or grimm, but I find it interesting that TV has so many shows now that follow this kind of fantasy model. I saw a few episodes of Merlin, which I found interesting, though I have to wonder how many times these stories will be able to be reinvented and hold the attention of a modern audience.

#8 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

The Wonderland sequences in OUaT were my least favorite, tbh, but I love Wonderland as a setting!

#9 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Well, I can honestly say that so far I'm rather disappointed in this show. There was so much possibility with all the technology available for telling this story. I only saw about half on an episode, but there was nothing to make me want to see anymore. So far I am much more interested in Sleepy Hollow. I like how all of the history is being interwoven.

#10 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well, I didn't watch it when it first premiered, but recorded it.  I watched it after Once Upon a Time on Sunday night where  I felt ABC should of put it, Revenge could of move one hour later.  In any case I think the show is off to a decent start.  I have to say that I can't wait to see what happens next.  

My only hope is that ABC gives it a fair enough chance.  Turns out that is not doing too well in the time slot it was given on Thursday nights, no big surprise since no scripted drama has done well in this time slot since Ugly Betty.  

#11 AshleyJoy

AshleyJoy

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

I am a big fan of Once Upon A Time. The characters are wonderful and I am really invested in the storyline. I gave this spin-off a shot, and I guess I just expected it to be as good as Once Upon A Time. It definitely was not. I don't love the characters the way I do in the original and I am a little bit bored. I expected more.

#12 millerhicks

millerhicks

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

"Rather Disappointed"? That is the understatement of the year, for sure!! This series, from what I could force myself to watch, was/is horrible! My wife and I LOVE Once Upon A Time, so were kinda excite to see if this show would follow in the footsteps. It most definitely does not:-(  It is just a complete waste of time; you would be better off to take the hour you would spend watching it and clip your toenails or clean out your turtle tank. It really is just not good and they need to stop wasting time and money on this series. 

#13 AshleyJoy

AshleyJoy

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

"Rather Disappointed"? That is the understatement of the year, for sure!! This series, from what I could force myself to watch, was/is horrible! My wife and I LOVE Once Upon A Time, so were kinda excite to see if this show would follow in the footsteps. It most definitely does not:-(  It is just a complete waste of time; you would be better off to take the hour you would spend watching it and clip your toenails or clean out your turtle tank. It really is just not good and they need to stop wasting time and money on this series. 

Glad to hear I am not the only one. I was so disappointed because Once Upon A Time is SO GOOD! Why do they even try spin offs if they are not going to hold a candle to the original? I am nervous to try Ravenswood because this scared me off of spin offs!!

#14 millerhicks

millerhicks

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hmm..never watched Ravenswood. Is it similar to Once Upon a Time? 

Spin offs RARELY impress me; it's almost always just about the big wigs at the station trying to exploit the success of another show. They don't give a rats ass how dumb it turns out:-(

#15 AshleyJoy

AshleyJoy

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Hmm..never watched Ravenswood. Is it similar to Once Upon a Time? 

Spin offs RARELY impress me; it's almost always just about the big wigs at the station trying to exploit the success of another show. They don't give a rats ass how dumb it turns out:-(

Ravenswood is a spinoff of the popular show Pretty Little Liars. It's sort of a teen drama mystery show. The commercials for Ravenswood are looking pretty good though. 

I definitely agree with you on that point. Sometimes I feel like they just make a show with the first idea that pops out of their heads and call it a spin off to something popular so that the fans of the other show will watch it. Often times it does not seem like they put the same amount of time and effort into making the show great that they did the original. It's all about the viewers and the money. 

#16 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

I meant to check it out during hiatus but there seem to be no need

http://www.eonline.c...in&dlvrit=51396

#17 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, I heard yesterday that it got cancelled. I've never seen it but I do watch Once Upon A Time so I was thinking about checking it out. Apparently it's not very good though.

#18 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

I have this show on my list on Netflix, but I have yet to watch it. I have read some good reviews about it, but have heard that they mix up fairy tales and it just doesn't do it for some people. I still want to give it a shot though. I like the concept. 

#19 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

It doesn't get good until later. It wasn't dark enough to make the Alice-in-Insane-Asylum a real hook, especially when she pulls an Emilie Autumn and Fights Like A Girl to get out--basically, we've seen it before or at least I have with McGee's video game and Emilie Autumn's entire opus. Once Upon A Time had some real-life drama to draw us in, with Emma getting a visit from her young son that she gave up, and having to contend with his adoptive mother. The Wonderland spinoff was about magical Agrabah and magical Wonderland. While I'm a fan of high fantasy, it felt too much like a spectacle. I'm also much less interested in love stories, and this one really was at-first-sight-no-character-development-required-outside-their-devotion. At least Snow White and Prince Charming met each other on a seesaw of a rise/fall to and from greatness, and talked about the pressures of their expectations and personal feelings.

Around episode eight, it seems that it finally found its heart. It rubbed me wrong that there were hardly any female characters that weren't motivated by their male love interests, so it was like The Token Chick In Fantasy Adventure show--when, frankly, nobody really loves the token chick in fantasy adventures in the first place. Even when there's more than one, they all felt so token. But then Alice finally develops some deeper-seated family issues (that, of course we've seen before--but this time I actually believe it), and she relates to Jafar in terms of deep-seated family issues (and I loved that Jafar's father remained so ambiguous...he's an unrepentantly abusive and stubborn jerk, but he's affable enough to people who aren't his own children!) That was a great twist. The Red Queen has great character development, and I liked her scenes with Cora.

Finally, I liked how it all tied up at the end. Amara wasn't just the token sexy sorceress too sexy to live--she was a mother. Nyx is a truly mythical archetypal creature who is unmoved by mortals who break her rules. The Jabberwocky...is interestingly animalistic, although the character design keeps reminding me of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII.

They bring round home the father-daughter relationship that Alice had with her own father...and, I was happy that Will and Alice beat the Harry-Met-Sally conundrum and that yes, they could be just friends, and were great friends.

Lizard's too stupid to live, though. I hope the actress catches a break and makes it big somewhere else. She and Naveen Andrews. I was really only watching for Naveen, really.

So, it does get better--much, much, much better...but I'm still disappointed because I think it might have been juggling this show with Once Upon A Time that have caused such a degradation in the quality of writing with the original show.

#20 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

This show was such a disappointment for me.  I absolutely love Once Upon a Time - I think that it is a well developed and extremely creative show - that takes these fairy tale characters we all know so well, and gives them a new "twist" to make them fresh and different from how we would normally see them.  You would think with characters from Alice in Wonderland, who are unique to start with - it wouldn't have been hard to make them really interesting and to come up with a great storyline.  Alas, this isn't the case.  The writting is uninspired, the storyline stale and the acting was poor.  Even the set design and graphics were cheesy.  Such a shame, because it could have been really good.