• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

I've been waiting for this show ever since I saw the previews at my girlfriends.  The Avengers is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I'm excited to see how Marvel handles a television show.

It's definitely an interesting proposition. And I do believe Joss Whedon will be overseeing it and worked on the pilot personally as well.

It's been a while since Marvel has done a live action TV show (Hulk anyone?) so yeah it will be amazing to see how they handle this one, especially seeing how DC has been hitting home runs with their recent TV shows such as Smallville and Arrow.

I am just glad it is not on the CW. I try to avoid that network like the plague.

I would have preferred it to be on cable but I'll take ABC over CW.

Really looking forward to it. Since we are reviewing it, maybe it'll get its own sub forum. Mods? :)

I'd have preferred cable too, but it could be worse. It could be on Fox. I mean, there's nothing worse for a Whedon helmed show than being on Fox.

If it ends up being as big as we're hoping, I'm sure we'll need sub-forums. Fingers crossed! :)

#2 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

Supernatural is long in the tooth but the people who are still watching it still love it. Very few shows get that kind of love when they've been around tha long.

Anyway, I am shipping the younger brunette chick and the hot guy. What?!

Understatement of the century! SPN fans are like the Supernatural Faithful at this point.

I'm willing to ship anyone who gets the hot guy to take his shirt off. Yum.

#3 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

I've been waiting for this show ever since I saw the previews at my girlfriends.  The Avengers is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I'm excited to see how Marvel handles a television show.

It's definitely an interesting proposition. And I do believe Joss Whedon will be overseeing it and worked on the pilot personally as well.

It's been a while since Marvel has done a live action TV show (Hulk anyone?) so yeah it will be amazing to see how they handle this one, especially seeing how DC has been hitting home runs with their recent TV shows such as Smallville and Arrow.

I am just glad it is not on the CW. I try to avoid that network like the plague.

Really looking forward to it. Since we are reviewing it, maybe it'll get its own sub forum. Mods? :)

Why? I agree some shows on CW are pretty bad. But most of these DC shows are pretty awesome.

Even Supernatural is pretty good. And one thing I like about them is that they aren't in the habit of cancelling shows mid series.

The CW has it's pros and cons.

Pros are that they do give a series more of a shot than any other network, they've got great soundtracks for their series, they are working hard at building an audience and using tools like social media. However, they've been trying to build a stable audience for like 3 years now and it's just not really happening for them (ABC Family came in and basically beat them in ratings at their teenage dramedy thing). 

Cons are that the budgets are less (seriously the green screen stuff on Ringer was just the worst), they are very fan driven so if you get a dedicated group of fans it can change the course of the series w/o the showrunner really agreeing to that vision and they get less respect (no CW show is ever getting an Emmy and it's very rare for them to even get Globe love). 

I would have preferred cable because they have less restrictions and more freedom, which generally means darker stories (which I love). That being said, good TV can be made with network restrictions but you really need a showrunner who is both good at the business aspect of running a series and excellent at being a storyteller as well as a stable of really talented writers. I think because so much is riding on this for Marvel and Disney/ABC that they'll have smart writers, a strong story arc, people who are passionate about the story and wont bend to fan/shipper pressure, etc. Whedon has never been one to bend to what fans want, but I wont go on about that b/c I seriously can NOT be objective about Joss Whedon. He's not a god, he's just a man, but he's pretty much the best man in every room he's in. At least that's how it is in MY world.

#4 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

About the Show

Clark Gregg reprises his role of Agent Phil Coulson from Marvel’s feature films, as he assembles a small, highly select group of Agents from the worldwide law-enforcement organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. Together they investigate the new, the strange, and the unknown across the globe, protecting the ordinary from the extraordinary. Coulson's team consists of Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), highly trained in combat and espionage; Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen), expert pilot and martial artist; Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker), brilliant engineer; and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge), genius bio-chemist. Joining them on their journey into mystery is new recruit and computer hacker, Skye (Chloe Bennet).

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel’s first television series, is from executive producers Joss Whedon (Marvel's The Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen, who co-wrote the pilot (Dollhouse, Dr.Horrible's Sing-Along Blog). Jeffrey Bell (Angel, Alias) and Jeph Loeb (Smallville, Lost, Heroes) also serve as executive producers. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Television.

Sneak peek at the pilot - Photos

#5 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

I'm eagerly awaiting this show! One of the most anticipated new shows of this year. More so for me because they are showing it in my country the same week as the US telecast, so I don't need to wait/download.

Wonder how Coulson is gonna be revived! I have no theories, any of you got one?

#6 Matthew

Matthew

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

#7 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Definitely excited about this show. I just hope it can live up to expectations.

#8 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

#9 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

#10 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Why? I agree some shows on CW are pretty bad. But most of these DC shows are pretty awesome.

Even Supernatural is pretty good. And one thing I like about them is that they aren't in the habit of cancelling shows mid series.

#11 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Supernatural is long in the tooth but the people who are still watching it still love it. Very few shows get that kind of love when they've been around that long.

Anyway, I am shipping the younger brunette chick and the hot guy. What?!

#12 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

And I do believe Joss Whedon will be overseeing it and worked on the pilot personally as well.

This also caught my attention. It's like he has a golden touch, most of his work is amazing.

#13 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I would have preferred cable because they have less restrictions and more freedom, which generally means darker stories (which I love). That being said, good TV can be made with network restrictions but you really need a showrunner who is both good at the business aspect of running a series and excellent at being a storyteller as well as a stable of really talented writers. I think because so much is riding on this for Marvel and Disney/ABC that they'll have smart writers, a strong story arc, people who are passionate about the story and wont bend to fan/shipper pressure, etc. Whedon has never been one to bend to what fans want, but I wont go on about that b/c I seriously can NOT be objective about Joss Whedon. He's not a god, he's just a man, but he's pretty much the best man in every room he's in. At least that's how it is in MY world.

Wow...you sure do love Whedon.

Admittedly, I've watched barely any stuff of his. Just the pilot of Firefly and Avengers, as far as I know. So, I never really understood what's so special about him.

#14 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

NatureSun, on 12 Sept 2013 - 14:55, said:

Jenners, on 12 Sept 2013 - 01:06, said:

Wow...you sure do love Whedon.

Admittedly, I've watched barely any stuff of his. Just the pilot of Firefly and Avengers, as far as I know. So, I never really understood what's so special about him.

You should try Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'll be here waiting to welcome you to the dark side.

Edited by GrodnersPet, 12 September 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#15 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

Haha yeah do check out some of his series. Most of them are brilliant, he is like a cult icon in the sci-fi world.

#16 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Buffy actually doesn't seem that appealing to me...maybe later.

I actually looked into Firefly and Serenity a while back and was hoping to watch it. I watched the first episode but I don't why never got to watching the next episode. :\

Maybe I should give that a second go?

#17 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

I actually looked into Firefly and Serenity a while back and was hoping to watch it. I watched the first episode but I don't why never got to watching the next episode. :\

Most definitely! I had the exactly same thing happen to me... back in the day (maybe... 6 years ago?) I started watching Firefly and I guess I wasn't too impressed or something and never got past the 1st episode. A couple of months ago I started again and I couldn't believe how I managed to NOT continue watching the first time.

The series is a bit... odd. You need a certain state of mind to enjoy it, I especially loved all the ridiculously funny one liners etc.

#18 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Most definitely! I had the exactly same thing happen to me... back in the day (maybe... 6 years ago?) I started watching Firefly and I guess I wasn't too impressed or something and never got past the 1st episode. A couple of months ago I started again and I couldn't believe how I managed to NOT continue watching the first time.

The series is a bit... odd. You need a certain state of mind to enjoy it, I especially loved all the ridiculously funny one liners etc.

Ooh! Interesting. I guess the pilot wasn't that exceptional as the show apparently is.

Might have to give this one another chance.

#19 MercyL

MercyL

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

IF you did not like Buffy the first go'round, looking again probably will not help. Buffy's "flavor" is very different from Firefly, IMHO. Buffy feels very "teen" and light weight compared fo Firefly's character roster.

#20 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

I've watched all the Whedon shows, several times over in fact, except for Dollhouse which was brilliant in spots but overall uneven.

So I'm quite excited about SHIELD, I'm dying to see what he can do with the correct backing and support, and with his new cachet coming off Avengers.