• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Has anyone watched this or is watching it now?

It took me a little while to commit, but I'm all in now and I'm liking it a lot.

Maybe it's just me, but the character Red is channeling the great Sally Spectra from B&B, imo.

20130714-130039.jpg?w=470

#2 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

I have seen this show everywhere on the internet now. Is it actually good? Worth watching.

Would love to read some of your thoughts on the show to decide if I should dedicate time to it or not.

#3 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Its is very good show. It's basically Oz for women, but it's a dramedy instead of a serious drama.  Each episode is from Piper's POV and how she is able to adjust to her new life in a federal prison. We also learn the back stories of her fellow inmates and how they ended up in jail as well. It is definitely worth watching.

OitNB is actually a book about the true life story of Piper Kerman's year long imprisonment for a crime she committed in her early 20s.

Here's an article about Piper's story - Life Behind Bars.

#4 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

This is such a great show! I binged watched the entire first season in just over a week. I wouldn’t be surprised if Taryn Manning and Taylor Schilling both win emmys for this. I just found the whole first season completely addicting and compelling. I won’t give any spoilers but the way they ended the first season is pretty major!  

#5 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I am binge watching it now. lol

Maybe we can discuss specific episodes behind spoiler tags to not spoil for others. Just an idea.

#6 Georgia

Georgia

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

I've watched the whole season. I liked it enough, it wasn't addicting or one of my favorite TV shows on the air. Everyone I've spoken to about it love it so it must be me.

Piper is self absorbed and selfish. It might have a little something to do with my problems with Taylor Shilling. I've disliked every character she's played so I went into this show with bias. I dislike Larry too so I think they are a perfect match. What kept me engaged is the supporting cast. 

Laura Prepon has grown up from her That 70's Show days. I loved her then and I love her even more now. I do think she and TS have nice chemistry. I heard that she auditioned for Piper. I can't imagine her in the role but I dislike Taylor in it too. Piper is suppose to be sympathetic but she is anything but. 

#7 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

I think it's very addicting. I am on episode 11 out of 13.

Spoiler

#8 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

What I lied about the show was its sense of humor. It wasn't a comedy that was trying to be funny. it was just funny and raw in moments, and for the big cast that it had, it made me care about a lot of the characters, which doesn't usually happen. I initially began watching because I heard that there were lesbians, but ended up sticking around for the stories and the humor and the realness of the characters.

#9 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well...you certainly look excited about it iambre. Maybe I should give it a try after all since I have nothing to watch nowadays since I caught up with the latest Breaking Bad episode.

I'm just in a void now a days as I have nothing to watch lol. Just desperately finding a series good enough to hold my attention so I can binge watch it. :P

#10 cpw

cpw

Cordial

• 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

I also binged on this show. I was skeptical. I liked Shawshank Redemption, and to me, this was Shawshank for women. But generally speaking, I do not like shows where I am constantly expecting something bad to happen. Somehow, this one still had me hooked, and not so emotionally attached that I watched in anxiety every time.

For me, this is like my guilty pleasure show. I go to a Baptist church (though, I'm a terrible Baptist) and to be honest, I'm a little scared of admitting I'm totally into a show that regularly makes use of the "c-word."

I will say, one thing that is a little bothersome about the series is that it sort of glorifies prison drama. Let me be the first to admit I love the back stories of the inmates, and I'm pretty sure that is what saves the show for me. But in real life, I just cannot imagine that America's prison system, even for women, is that full of such interesting people. My husband works in criminal defense. Not a lot of super interesting (nor smart) people breaking the law and getting sent to federal prison. Sorry.

It also wouldn't surprise me if this show starts to bring to light the idea of prison reform. I hope the writers of the show don't have some side political agenda, because, again, though I do believe that humans deserve basic rights, I cannot get behind believing that our Federal prisons should somehow be more comfortable places to live.

Anyway. Not to go off. I like the show. I hope it stays good and fictional. It would be really cool to see a Netflix original up for some Emmy's.

#11 Reality Junkie

Reality Junkie

Friendly

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Anyway. Not to go off. I like the show. I hope it stays good and fictional. It would be really cool to see a Netflix original up for some Emmy's.

House of Cards got several nominations!

#12 NatureSun

NatureSun

Friendly

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

House of Cards got several nominations!

Not only House of Cards but even Arrested Development got a few nominations.

If I'm correct Netflix got a total of 14 nominations for their original shows. Pretty great if you ask me, considering they only have a handful of shows.

Orange is the new Black is released after the deadline for emmys so it couldn't be submitted.

#13 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

Well...you certainly look excited about it iambre. Maybe I should give it a try after all since I have nothing to watch nowadays since I caught up with the latest Breaking Bad episode.

I'm just in a void now a days as I have nothing to watch lol. Just desperately finding a series good enough to hold my attention so I can binge watch it. :P

Luckily I watch so many shows that there is always something for me to watch all year around. Sometimes even with shows that I like, sometimes I will store episodes up and then when I am in the mood I will watch them all binge style :D

I really don't feel like Orange Is The New Black glorifies prison at all. I don't know how any one person would get that from it.

#14 Monique

Monique

Friendly

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I don’t think the show glamorizes prison at all. They might pursue certain situations from a comedic perspective at times, but it still addresses a lot of relevant issues in a pretty disheartening capacity. It is a television show after all, but it is based on a real person and her experience.

#15 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

I don’t think the show glamorizes prison at all. They might pursue certain situations from a comedic perspective at times, but it still addresses a lot of relevant issues in a pretty disheartening capacity. It is a television show after all, but it is based on a real person and her experience.

I agree 100%. I mean, the main character, Piper, is moaning and groaning the entire time that she is there. She goes through some fucked up things in there, which are awful. she always looks tired and unhappy. That is not a glorification of being in prison in my book. Most of the character's stories are depressing as hell, but they somehow seem to be able to balance the feel of the show out with some humor which is a skill if I have ever seen one.

#16 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have finally watched all the episodes of this show. I was almost not going to bother to continue watching after the initial episode, because it came off sort of meh. I opted to keep watching and I was rather pleased to see my interest pick up beginning with the next episode, as the premise started to further develop and the interesting characters of different backgrounds, races and orientations were introduced amidst an upstate prison overrun by corrupt officials.

The show has a pretty interesting plot overall. There is some decent casting and strong performances from many of the cast members as well. The back stories are intriguing, though some of them depict a weakly contrived reason why they're imprisoned, such as what was done by Tiffany, who killed a random lady just because she was insulted. I am getting a little bored with Larry to be honest, as all he ever does is whine and complain about Piper despite the conspicuously difficult situation she is going through. Can they at least make it more interesting where Larry actually starts seeing someone else to where his devotion to Piper truly gets challenged?

I also like how the show is able to incorporate comedy into some of the ongoing situations, but sometimes it just makes the prison life look like everyone is making the best of a bad vacation away from home in my opinion. I mean it seems like everyone has a good amount of privileges in the prison, but for them to actually draw together like a tight knit community and have fun on most occasions kind of defeats the whole "do their time" thing. But of course, this is a comedy-drama, right? So yeah.

The last episode of the season ended really dramatic. I really want to see what ramifications Piper faces for what she has done. Will she get more time on top of what she already has to face? Will this really cement a break-up between her and Larry due to how much longer she will be away from him? Is Tiffany still alive? I'm looking forward to the next season.

Edited by Phoenix360, 24 September 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#17 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

Finally watched the first episode. Agree that is was good but not mind blowing, I think I'll go on watching it but I may have suffered from overhyping since just about everyone I know has been recommending it to me,

#18 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Finally watched the first episode. Agree that is was good but not mind blowing, I think I'll go on watching it but I may have suffered from overhyping since just about everyone I know has been recommending it to me,

It gets better. This show is all about the supporting characters and the more you learn about them the better the show gets. The first season as a whole is worthy of the hype.

#19 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

It gets better. This show is all about the supporting characters and the more you learn about them the better the show gets. The first season as a whole is worthy of the hype.

Good to know, that's basically what I was hoping for given the ensemble cast.

#20 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

Yes, I will agree that the first episode of this series was not at all mind blowing, but it sort of set the tine for what sort of show it was and for what was to come. I tried to get my sister to watch this show; I thought that the whole gay thing would deter her, but maybe it was just because the first episode was kind of slow and sex scenes i any sort of show annoy her.