• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Heh, fair enough. I was just trying to figure out how many more seasons why might be able to pull out of this. I know they've already secured a third season, but will it be the last season of her in prison maybe? Or could they stretch it to a fourth? 

The show is clearly popular, so they might even try to continue beyond that by focusing on a different inmate later or her interactions after she's out of prison, but it wouldn't be the same.

#42 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Lol! 

For anybody who likes this show, check out this parody: 

http://digg.com/vide...s-the-new-black

It's the actress who plays "Crazy Eyes" doing auditions for all the other roles on the show. 

#43 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Heh, fair enough. I was just trying to figure out how many more seasons why might be able to pull out of this. I know they've already secured a third season, but will it be the last season of her in prison maybe? Or could they stretch it to a fourth? 

The show is clearly popular, so they might even try to continue beyond that by focusing on a different inmate later or her interactions after she's out of prison, but it wouldn't be the same.

I am not sure. Has anyone read the book? I haven't read her book, where she spills everything apparently. I just know that in the book she ended up with the husband. But I don;t know if everything that happens in the book happens on the show. Adaptations are very different like that usually. Plus I assume that they will go off of fan reaction, even if just a little bit.

#44 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

But I don;t know if everything that happens in the book happens on the show. Adaptations are very different like that usually. Plus I assume that they will go off of fan reaction, even if just a little bit.

Nope, it definitely doesn't line up exactly! 

I read an article the other day that talked about how Piper and Alex didn't continue their relationship at all while in prison and were actually in separate prisons for the most part: http://www.dailymail...jail-drama.html

#45 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:04 AM

But I don;t know if everything that happens in the book happens on the show. Adaptations are very different like that usually. Plus I assume that they will go off of fan reaction, even if just a little bit.

Nope, it definitely doesn't line up exactly! 

I read an article the other day that talked about how Piper and Alex didn't continue their relationship at all while in prison and were actually in separate prisons for the most part: http://www.dailymail...jail-drama.html

Oh lmaooo. well I guess that that explains that then. I guess that the fans loved seeing another lesbian couple on their TV screens so much they they kept it up.

#46 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

Oh lmaooo. well I guess that that explains that then. I guess that the fans loved seeing another lesbian couple on their TV screens so much they they kept it up.

Yep! So even though it's "based on a true story," doesn't mean that it's all true, of course. They still have to do what the ratings need in order to keep the show popular. 

#47 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Yep! So even though it's "based on a true story," doesn't mean that it's all true, of course. They still have to do what the ratings need in order to keep the show popular. 

Luckily. There are not enough true representations of lesbian love on television. And then you get the ones where one of them ends up with a man. Given. Piper is bisexual, so it makes a bit more sense. But the more lesbian characters hook up or get with guys on TV, the more straight men fail to take lesbian relationships seriously. Lesbianism is already merely a fetish to a lot of straight men.

#48 Bloom

Bloom

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

OKAY!

I am proud to say that I have finished the entire second season within a day. Granted, I didn't beat the timing against my dad who watched it the moment it aired on Netflix and kept watching the series overnight. (I think there should be a Netflix AAA.)

Anyways, I am disappointed, relieved and shocked with how they ended the season. The thought of waiting a year just to see what happens with all of that intensity that occurred in the last episode is absurd! I hope they do a random episode sometime throughout the year. Some series do that, right? Like a Christmas special? Haha. Anyways, what did everyone else feel in regards to the season's ending?

My boyfriend was telling me the same thing! I thought that it was all true and I was thinking to myself, how terrible! I would have never lived one second longer if I was in Piper's shoes. But then he said that Larry never left her, Alex was in another prison the entire time and so forth. There was a lot of support from her family and friends throughout the entire yearly process.

It's unfortunate that people can't witness the true story of Piper and can, instead, see the media version. Hopefully more people read the book or actually look into the series' story to understand the full scoop. I have yet to read her book, but I hope to soon enough!

#49 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:37 AM

Why are you proud Bloom? Now you are going to have to wait six long months to a year to see the third season. Piper is such a real character . She isn't perfect and is unlikable sometimes, which happens in real life. I like shows that show characters that are twofold.

#50 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

My boyfriend was telling me the same thing! I thought that it was all true and I was thinking to myself, how terrible! I would have never lived one second longer if I was in Piper's shoes. But then he said that Larry never left her, Alex was in another prison the entire time and so forth. There was a lot of support from her family and friends throughout the entire yearly process.

It's unfortunate that people can't witness the true story of Piper and can, instead, see the media version. Hopefully more people read the book or actually look into the series' story to understand the full scoop. I have yet to read her book, but I hope to soon enough!

At the same time, even though her real story may have actually been easier on her....I think some of the stuff going on in the prison system is likely a bit more accurate in some areas. We can't expect it to be all fun and games....and realistically, Piper's family may have been supportive, but a lot of other people's families would not be at all. The media exaggerations make it interesting to watch, of course, but it also calls attention to some other things that might be happening in women prisons that we don't know about otherwise. 

#51 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

The show is pretty much a depiction of how I deem prisons to be actually. Female prisons. In terms of dynamics that is how I deem those types of places to be, so I would so that it was pretty spot on in that area.

#52 pepsiguy2

pepsiguy2

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

Really? That's interesting, I've never bothered to look it up.  Netflix, is, however very accurate with "House of Cards" according to reports, too. Piper is a great character but the priso in the show - in a way - just seems all too nice. It feels like a Community Center rather than a detention center.

#53 Bloom

Bloom

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

At the same time, even though her real story may have actually been easier on her....I think some of the stuff going on in the prison system is likely a bit more accurate in some areas. We can't expect it to be all fun and games....and realistically, Piper's family may have been supportive, but a lot of other people's families would not be at all. The media exaggerations make it interesting to watch, of course, but it also calls attention to some other things that might be happening in women prisons that we don't know about otherwise. 

I one-hundred percent agree with you. Prison isn't easy, no matter what -- whether it be mental or physically endangering who you are. The fact that there are some people without support and overall family is terrible. It just means that they lose their guard when in prison in the first place and it all goes downhill. AH, no matter what -- support or not -- I wouldn't survive in a prison! The show is definitely a great realization for everyone of what truly happens.

Why are you proud Bloom? Now you are going to have to wait six long months to a year to see the third season. Piper is such a real character . She isn't perfect and is unlikable sometimes, which happens in real life. I like shows that show characters that are twofold.

I KNOW! D:

I realized this once I watched it. I asked my boyfriend when the next season was going to be, and he said within the year and I was like.. WHAT?! It was a sad, sad day.

As for Piper being a real character, I truly believe that, too! There are times where I'm like... What are you doing and will dislike her for it. But overall, she's a great relief for the show. If Piper's character wasn't there, I don't know if I would just watch it, you know? I wouldn't watch it if it was Pensituckey... Or just Morello (even though I adore her!). Piper is definitely a great puzzle piece in this show!

#54 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

I one-hundred percent agree with you. Prison isn't easy, no matter what -- whether it be mental or physically endangering who you are. The fact that there are some people without support and overall family is terrible. It just means that they lose their guard when in prison in the first place and it all goes downhill. AH, no matter what -- support or not -- I wouldn't survive in a prison! The show is definitely a great realization for everyone of what truly happens.

>Why are you proud Bloom? Now you are going to have to wait six long months to a year to see the third season. Piper is such a real character . She isn't perfect and is unlikable sometimes, which happens in real life. I like shows that show characters that are twofold.

I KNOW! D:

I realized this once I watched it. I asked my boyfriend when the next season was going to be, and he said within the year and I was like.. WHAT?! It was a sad, sad day.

As for Piper being a real character, I truly believe that, too! There are times where I'm like... What are you doing and will dislike her for it. But overall, she's a great relief for the show. If Piper's character wasn't there, I don't know if I would just watch it, you know? I wouldn't watch it if it was Pensituckey... Or just Morello (even though I adore her!). Piper is definitely a great puzzle piece in this show!

Lol. I feel like we had to wait long enough for season two to be honest. We had been hearing about it for such a long time, but it has only just come out because it is on Netflix. But now we are all going to have to wait :((

#55 MelodyD89

MelodyD89

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

I love this show. When I started watching it I was instantly hooked I love how this show can make you feel so much emotion for the characters that's one of the things that I like about the show. I also love that the show if following EVERYONE'S story not just the main character. That really helps me get into it. One of my favorite people on the show is Tastee. She is bright and has a good head on her shoulders. 

#56 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

I wasn't hooked from the very beginning lol. The show kind of had to grow on me, but I don't think that that is abnormal or anything. But the moment that I met crazy eyes, I KNEW that I would be watching the next few episodes lmao

#57 STEPHiE08

STEPHiE08

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:39 AM

I have only gotten to episode 10 on the first season. Tommorrow night I'm doin catch up. So excited. I think they show RED too much,though. She's getting on my nerves.

#58 Bloom

Bloom

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I find it so exciting to see people starting the series. I can't wait to see all of your reactions, Beginning Watchers! Haha!

I have only gotten to episode 10 on the first season. Tommorrow night I'm doin catch up. So excited. I think they show RED too much,though. She's getting on my nerves.

Ah! You've got to keep going. There are reasons why they show certain character's too much. It's the only way to keep the flow of the show. Definitely try and finish up the first season! It's totally worth to binge watch -- even the second season, too! :3

#59 STEPHiE08

STEPHiE08

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

I will definitely get on that! I am watching episode 11 right now.  :lol:

So addicting!

I dont have Netflix so I watch on a free streaming website.

#60 tv junkie

tv junkie

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

This is SUCH A GREAT SHOW. I don't know if I can recommend this show enough! Not only is the storyline fantastic, but the show really holds a diverse cast of characters that bust stereotypes normally associated with minorities. And on top of it all, they have really good humor so it's not always dark. I love this show and if you haven't watched go do it right now because you won't regret it.