• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I LOVED this show so much. I'll have to do a rewatch soon! I wanted to marry Sam, I was so sad when he left.

#2 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

I just started my West Wing re-watch. It makes me so sad that we're still talking about so many of these issues -- education, same sex marriages, health care, privacy -- and it's been over 10 years since the show debuted. Do politicians (either side) do anything? No wonder so many people in the US are, like me, politically apathetic. They can't get anything done for the good of anyone.

Still, I love this show so much. Everyone on it is absolutely fabulous. Totally forgot Moira Kelly was on season 1. Didn't really care for her...

#3 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Forever and ever. Amen!

BEWARE THAT THIS THREAD WILL BE SPOILERS GALORE.  

I am glad Big Brother 15 bombed because it meant I had to look for another distraction from real life over the summer. I settled on West Wing on Netflix. Best decision I've made all year. It is no wonder this show is praised to the nines. Every good word spoken about it is gospel. I LOVE it.

It wasn't without it's flaws, season 7 wasn't as good as seasons 1 through 4 but it was 7 seasons into the show, and the Bartlet Administration was getting ready to give up the West Wing. I didn't want  another administration in the WH but the new administration was needed for longevity.  I missed Sam when he left. Prematurely. I missed his friendship with Josh and Donna. Toby played off him better than Will IMO. He was the most idealistic of Bartlet's boys as I call Toby, Josh and Sam.

Ainsley was God's gift to Republicans. In my heart, she and Sam got married and had little Democrats. Yes, Dems.

My favorite season bar none is season 2. It had so many of my favorite episodes starting with the In the Shadow of Two Gunmen 1 and 2. I won't tell you how many times I've watched part 2. Bartlet winning the primary, Toby recruiting CJ, CJ tripping into the pool, Donna picking up driving cross country to join the campaign because she believed in Jed? Josh finding out he has an assistant Hee! Sam leaving a high powered firm to join the campaign for petty change. Donna telling Josh about his father while CJ and Sam where doing the robot in the background. Bartlet and Leo at the airport. Donna fingering her necklace while flashing back to Josh giving her his ID chain. I could go on. Just beautiful writing, acting and direction.

Some of my favorite episodes are  In this White House, The Portland Trip, Noel, Someone's Going to Emergency, Someone's Going to Jail, 17 People, The War at Home, 18 and Potomac and Two Cathedrals and the whole second half of season 7. The Cold and Transitions being top of the list.

Just watch the whole season and come and talk to me about it :)

#4 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

We HAVE to talk about this show. I LOVED it too.

BW and JM were phenomenal together. The long drawn out lovestory never works but Donna/Josh worked. 

I missed Sam Seaborn too. Apparently Rob Lowe left because he felt underused. I wonder if he regrets leaving the time he did. He did come back in season 7 though.

#5 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

We HAVE to talk about this show. I LOVED it too.

Yay. I should have started this thread sooner. I didn't realize there were fans of this show. But how can there not be? It is one of the best shows in the history of ever!

BW and JM were phenomenal together. The long drawn out lovestory never works but Donna/Josh worked. 

They sure did. The pace was glacial but the transition and resolution was better than satisfactory. The feelings was always there even when they were with other people. Josh showed his jealousy more than Donna did but she always had the hots for Joshua :)

I missed Sam Seaborn too. Apparently Rob Lowe left because he felt underused. I wonder if he regrets leaving the time he did. He did come back in season 7 though.

And he and Ainsley are engaged. CJ offered her the job she asked for when Josh found out about the engagement. 

#6 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

I watched Stirred [all of it this time] last night. Cried like a baby when the President called Donna's retiring English teacher. How can she not love Josh when he does these things. The things that matter, you know. .

I shouldn't have been but I was shocked that Josh did bring it up to the president. He told Donna it wasn't feasible because he didn't want her to be disappointed. I started tearing up when Jed told her it was Josh that brought it to his attention.

And Jed. What a wonderful president he was. And Martin Sheen is so adorable. Donna's former teacher will die a very happy woman because of Donna's thoughtfulness, Josh' thoughtfulness and Jed's kindness. So sweet!

#7 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I watched Stirred [all of it this time] last night. Cried like a baby when the President called Donna's retiring English teacher.

I shouldn't have been but I was shocked that Josh did bring it up to the president. He told Donna it wasn't feasible because he didn't want her to be disappointed. I started tearing up when Jed told her it was Josh that brought it to his attention.

And Jed. What a wonderful president he was. He looked out for all his boys and girls. Donna's former teacher will die a very happy woman because of Donna's thoughtfulness, Josh' thoughtfulness and Jed's kindness. So sweet!

Classic West Wing episode. The adoration on Donna's face is engrained on my mind forever. But Jed calling Donna's teacher was not the only thing he did that brought tears to my eyes that day. He was full of "magic that day".

He helped Charlie do his taxes. He later bought everything Charlie was going to get with his tax rebate for him.

His reaction when the Vice president told him he is a recovering alcoholic. Passing on the note that said "I could do die" 

Perfect Jed day. I loved him so much. Season 6, when he had a remission was hard to watch.

#8 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

tumblr_mm730jZGPO1r8nb6to1_250.gif

tumblr_m66vfzVFjt1r9i0fuo1_500.gif

Edited by Cybagem, 19 September 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#9 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

tumblr_mfvohcrGn91qf4sbho1_500.gif

tumblr_mfvohcrGn91qf4sbho2_500.gif

tumblr_mfvohcrGn91qf4sbho3_r1_500.gif

#10 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

tumblr_ma0hdy9taq1qcvteuo1_250.gif

#11 adonis

adonis

Cordial

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Obama needs a Josh Lyman to walk him to congress and whip their asses into action.

I am going to pull out my DVDs tomorrow. It is time to jump into the ideal verse of West Wing. Bring on the Shutdown. 

tumblr_ma0hdy9taq1qcvteuo1_250.gif

I was thrilled to see Elisabeth Moss on Mad Men. 

#12 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

I like Peggy but I loved Zoey.

Obama would be just as succinct when he tells the Republican majority leader where to stick it. Bartlet would not be held hostage by the House and I doubt Obama would allow it.

Life does imitate art.

#13 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

I just started my West Wing re-watch. It makes me so sad that we're still talking about so many of these issues -- education, same sex marriages, health care, privacy -- and it's been over 10 years since the show debuted. Do politicians (either side) do anything? No wonder so many people in the US are, like me, politically apathetic. They can't get anything done for the good of anyone.

Still, I love this show so much. Everyone on it is absolutely fabulous. Totally forgot Moira Kelly was on season 1. Didn't really care for her...

Yay for re-watching!

ITA about how things never change. Some of the issues they dealt with is so close to real life. Gun control was a hot topic after the shootings in S1 finale. Charlie's mother was gunned down on the job too as I recall.

And off course a Shutdown is happening in real life right now!

I loveeeeeeeeeeee this show so effing much!

#14 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

I can't quit Josh and Donna. I am rewatching seasons 2 and possibly, 7 in the coming weeks for these.

tumblr_mv3lzv3u0j1rnve79o1_500.gif

tumblr_mbhgetKlal1r9i0fuo1_500.png

tumblr_mbhgetKlal1r9i0fuo2_500.png

Bwahahaha!

#15 irrelephant

irrelephant

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Toby Ziegler was my first TV-crush. He's just so morose and cynical that you know there's a crushed little idealist living inside of him.  :wub:

I could rewatch that show over and over. But did anyone else think TWW really took a dive after Aaron Sorkin left at the end of the fourth season? The writing wasn't as snappy, the plots didn't move quite the same way. I know it's impossible for anyone to imitate Sorkin, but I thought it went downhill pretty fast after that. And I'll never fully forgive them for what they did to my beloved Toby (the space shuttle leak incident).

Still, the best political show ever. House of Cards, Political Animals, Scandal...nothing can hold a candle to The West Wing.

#16 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

I loved all the main characters but Josh and Donna were my favorites. As individual characters and a couple of course.

Wells' West Wing was very different from the first four years, but the change is to be expected. He took over after a major catastrophe. The Bartlets couldn't be the same people they were after Zoey's kidnapping. Handing over power to the Republicans was extreme but what father wouldn't? Abbey's haircut was harsh but I would have done the same thing too.  But not really because. Just no.  And the physical rift was also realistic even if hard to watch. The repercussion of Jed's actions hit too close to home. I'd be pissed too.

I shudder at Sorkin making everyone smile and have a jolly good time after Zoey's recovery. He had an annoying knack of wrapping every episode in a neat bow. Though it worked for the first few years, his West Wing was too idealistic for the positions the characters were and the events they were going through. Wells' West Wing was during a second time that had the Rosslyn, MS, re-election and kidnapping to name a few, under their belt. The tone had to shift. They'd become more and more jaded. They kept getting wake up call after wake up call, that their idea of governing didn't jive with that of the long laid political structure. Reality is a bitch and it creeps up on you.

The MS reveal set a trend of eye opening events that had to change the nature of the show. CJ almost walked away remember?

He did good and bad things to the characters towards the end. Sam Seaborne came back to the fold but CJ and Toby left. Toby's ending was a CRIME. I KNOW there is more to it than him betraying the administration for the heck of it. I miss Leo till this day.

Josh and Donna were, off course, the heart and soul of the show. Duh! Seasons 6/7 were brutal, but they needed the break and reconstruction to be together completely. I watched it on speed on Netflix, I can't imagine what it must have been like for live watchers. I would have ended up bald from pulling out my hair in frustration by the time The Cold happened.

#17 fountainthom

fountainthom

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

I loved all the main characters but Josh and Donna were my favorites. As individual characters and a couple of course.

The relationship between Josh and Donna is so well done. It's a perfect example of Sorkin's ability to write dialogue that gives character's depth while also moving the plot forward. That's why this show is so good (and most of Sorkin's work). I also really love how he wrote the relationship between Bartlett and his wife, especially towards the end of the series.

#18 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

The relationship between Josh and Donna is so well done. It's a perfect example of Sorkin's ability to write dialogue that gives character's depth while also moving the plot forward. That's why this show is so good (and most of Sorkin's work). I also really love how he wrote the relationship between Bartlett and his wife, especially towards the end of the series.

I loved Abbey and Bartlet, more TV couples  should be like them. I liked that their conflicts were always external. One can argue that the fight they had when Jed decided to run for a second term was internal but really, everything that had to do with the presidency was beyond them.

Sorkin didn't write them in the later years though, John Wells did.

#19 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Bradley's changed so much since he played Josh 

http://www.whitehous...hare/cheese-day

#20 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Bradley's changed so much since he played Josh 

http://www.whitehous...hare/cheese-day

I am so happy the white house is doing a Big Block of Cheese Day. It is brilliant idea.