• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Re; Amy and Josh. I don't think they were any indication of Josh's feelings, or lack of, for Donna both times he was with Amy.

The relationship with Amy had any baring on J/D at all, nor should it have. I liked that they were able to have separate love lives while they were in limbo. It made them healthier, more realistic even. They are usually depicted as almost co-pendent in fandom but I think that is far from the truth. Not even professionally. I am re-watching reason 6, and I gotta tell you,  Donna thrived professionally once she cut the cord. Josh floundered some, but it wasn't from lack of Donna, it was because he had a prissy candidate. Yet he got him nominated That is not to say they didn't miss each other. I just saw King Corn :( . But is besides the point.

Back to Josh and Amy, it can be argued Josh was ripe for the picking on the heels of Cliff Calley, but I don't remember there being any indication of this. I am not saying there wasn't any influence there, there was. But there was a lot of other factors that played into it. The White House was dealing with the MS reveal, Leo's depositions etc. I don't think the MS betrayal had sunk in for the staffers before they had to deal with the onslaught of the media and the cursed opposition. The reason why Josh seek Amy is the same way Donna did with Cliff, at that point, I imagine all of them needed something/something to take my minds off what they were dealing with for a moment. 

Amy being a beautiful and seemingly smart woman  have had something to do with it. Gotta give her some credit right? lol. I just think Amy could have been any other woman who made themselves available to Josh during that time. It is the same circumstances the second time. He needed an escape, she was there. Going back to what is familiar is easy and Josh is a glutton for punishment. She earnestly chased him if I remember correctly .  Once they started having sex, why would he stop? He is a red blooded male, sex is sex. Plus the novelty was there till phone met stew. He'd forgotten that incident the second time. He was reminded rather quickly.

None of this had anything to do with Donna. Josh getting Amy'ed was a lot easier due to the J/D estrangement but being on a happier note wouldn't have stopped Josh/Amy from happening. I don't think. Amy provided a different sort of fulfillment that Donna couldn't. Same with Donna and the guys she was with. She is not so into Josh that she'd live a celibate life while she waits for them to happen. 

Now had these things happened after J/D had crossed the line, I'd seriously question their so called love for one another. I think they were free to have healthy social lives before. They might have thought they'd always get together after leaving the White House. But without ever verbalizing these thoughts to a soul, let alone, to each other, they wouldn't know to wait it out. If they had, 8 years is still a long time to go abstain.

One of the beauties of them getting together at the end was that, the angst was played out. We'd never have to deal with them breaking up as a couple and dealing with them moving of however short lives. Blech.

#22 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

Re; Amy and Josh. I don't think they were any indication of Josh's feelings, or lack of, for Donna both times he was with Amy.

The relationship with Amy had any baring on J/D at all, nor should it have. I liked that they were able to have separate love lives while they were in limbo. It made them healthier, more realistic even. They are usually depicted as almost co-pendent in fandom but I think that is far from the truth. Not even professionally. I am re-watching reason 6, and I gotta tell you,  Donna thrived professionally once she cut the cord. Josh floundered some, but it wasn't from lack of Donna, it was because he had a prissy candidate. Yet he got him nominated That is not to say they didn't miss each other. I just saw King Corn :( . But is besides the point.

Back to Josh and Amy, it can be argued Josh was ripe for the picking on the heels of Cliff Calley, but I don't remember there being any indication of this. I am not saying there wasn't any influence there, there was. But there was a lot of other factors that played into it. The White House was dealing with the MS reveal, Leo's depositions etc. I don't think the MS betrayal had sunk in for the staffers before they had to deal with the onslaught of the media and the cursed opposition. The reason why Josh seek Amy is the same way Donna did with Cliff, at that point, I imagine all of them needed something/something to take my minds off what they were dealing with for a moment. 

Amy being a beautiful and seemingly smart woman  have had something to do with it. Gotta give her some credit right? lol. I just think Amy could have been any other woman who made themselves available to Josh during that time. It is the same circumstances the second time. He needed an escape, she was there. Going back to what is familiar is easy and Josh is a glutton for punishment. She earnestly chased him if I remember correctly .  Once they started having sex, why would he stop? He is a red blooded male, sex is sex. Plus the novelty was there till phone met stew. He'd forgotten that incident the second time. He was reminded rather quickly.

None of this had anything to do with Donna. Josh getting Amy'ed was a lot easier due to the J/D estrangement but being on a happier note wouldn't have stopped Josh/Amy from happening. I don't think. Amy provided a different sort of fulfillment that Donna couldn't. Same with Donna and the guys she was with. She is not so into Josh that she'd live a celibate life while she waits for them to happen. 

Now had these things happened after J/D had crossed the line, I'd seriously question their so called love for one another. I think they were free to have healthy social lives before. They might have thought they'd always get together after leaving the White House. But without ever verbalizing these thoughts to a soul, let alone, to each other, they wouldn't know to wait it out. If they had, 8 years is still a long time to go abstain.

One of the beauties of them getting together at the end was that, the angst was played out. We'd never have to deal with them breaking up as a couple and dealing with them moving of however short lives. Blech.

Poor Amy.  The twitchy from from treasure could have been her if she was in the right place, at the right time lol

Interesting take on one of Josh' tumbles. It was a convenience. Both times.

I need to rewatch.   

#23 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

I'm not going to read this whole thread because I know there are spoilers inside. 

What I WILL do, however, is comment and say that I have been watching this from the beginning and am up to about Season 6. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this show, but now I can't get enough of it and I'm dreading when I finally reach the end. I really hope they do it justice with a good finale at least. 

#24 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

We should have a thread for people who are just watching or something. I admit it'll be tricky as hell.

#25 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

A thread for every season could work but it doesn't fit into the site's structure. A full forum is not justified for a show that has been off air for years.

I'm not going to read this whole thread because I know there are spoilers inside. 

What I WILL do, however, is comment and say that I have been watching this from the beginning and am up to about Season 6. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this show, but now I can't get enough of it and I'm dreading when I finally reach the end. I really hope they do it justice with a good finale at least. 

Come back and post your thoughts when you are through. 

#26 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

We should have a thread for people who are just watching or something. I admit it'll be tricky as hell.

Eh, I think that's really only relevant for NEW shows. West Wing has been off the air for 8 years. Most people aren't going back and just now watching it for the first time. I'm a-okay just trying to avoid my own spoilers since I know others will be talking about the entire series as a whole

#27 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

A thread for every season could work but it doesn't fit into the site's structure. A full forum is not justified for a show that has been off air for years.

Come back and post your thoughts when you are through. 

I like the one thread idea too. 

#28 sparkles29

sparkles29

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

The West Wing is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. I have seen it so many times, but I still love to watch it. The depth of the characters and the intelligence of the writing is such that you can almost lose yourself in the show.

If Jed Bartlett really was running for POTUS, I know I'd vote for him. I can't imagine that show working with anyone else playing President. In fact, I can't imagine the show working if any of the characters were played by other actors. They gel together impeccably - the casting of this show was second to none.

Of course, we all know that in the real world, politicians are not trustworthy or have any morals, but it's great to escape to a parallel universe where they do for a while!

#29 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

This is probably one of the best TV shows I've watched.  I really like the way they developed the characters - how each one had a unique sense of humor.  They all worked in these high stress, important jobs, but they were able to look at things from such a great perspective.  The writing was absolutely flawless - it gave us a sense of who each character was.

It also provided a unique look inside the whole political arena - from campaigning all the way to the White House, and all that goes on behind the scenes.  It shows us these public figures as human and ordinary individuals. 

#30 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:55 AM

I absolutely loved this show. I agree it was very well written, the cast worked and fit together so seamlessly it felt very much like real life. It was great to gain insight into the workings of American politics.

My husband and I never gave it much thought when it was running on TV. We then saw the whole box set on special and thought, why not? All I can say is wow! for weeks we'd come home from work and indulge in the West Wing deliciousness. It was like a ritual!

Martin Sheen as president Bartlett was just outstanding for me. I already loved and respected him as an actor, but he shot up in my estimation! If he were running for president in my country, I'd definitely vote for him. Rob Lowe in  all his handsomeness (I've ALWAYS had a thing for him) was just the cherry on top. It was great to see him looking so good and still displaying fantastic acting chops. I Love that show :)