• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TakeMeAway

TakeMeAway

Cordial

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Are any of you members of a book club? If so, how do you determine your membership? Is it difficult to round up people who enjoy reading the same types of books? Do you meet online or at someone's home? I used to go to my mother-in-law's book club with her sometimes when they had a scholarly speaker and I could get off work. I really enjoyed it.

#2 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Book clubs aren't my thing, I am not much of a reader

The only material I read is for work and school

#3 Squared

Squared

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

I've been in several book clubs and they were all different. One just had people bring a book they enjoyed and introduce it. The idea was someone would take it and read it themselves, but usually the speaker gave so much of the plot away it wasn't worth it! I'd like to start a club where books linked to TV shows/movies were the only focus.

#4 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

I used to belong to book clubs in the past but not anymore. I do read online books (e-books) from time to time, most of mine are topic specific rather than novels or reading for the fun of it. One I recently checked out involved some self help strategies on dealing with mental illness as a care provider. It was dry reading actually and I found myself daydreaming while trying to concentrate on the material.

#5 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I read a lot! All genres too

But no book clubs for me, I hate restrictions and such. I like to read whatever I feel like, whenever I feel like it lol

#6 beastsbeauty

beastsbeauty

Cordial

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm with you, Wendy. I love reading, but I would rather read what I want. Reading is a calming activity that should be enjoyed, not forced. There are many out there who enjoy book clubs, though. Book clubs are a great idea, just not for me.

#7 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

I wouldn't mind book clubs if it focused more on the social side rather than the book itself. Getting together to discuss "Catcher In The Rye" for example should always include lots of goodies to eat and drink and more of a get together and socialize than discuss the book itself. Saves on having to create an excuse as to why I showed up to a book club meeting but didn't read the book, lol. I wonder how many times I could use: I came for the cookies. before I'd be ousted from the club?

#8 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

I don't really want to be in a book club. There are only specific type of books that I really like to read, and I don't really see the fun in getting together with a bunch of people just to discuss a book. If it involved games it would be much better.

#9 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

I love to read but have never been a part of a book club. My taste is so much different than everyone else's. However, my sister is a member of one that meets once a month and she loves it.

#10 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Ok, when I first read the title of this I thought you meant like that mail-order Doubleday book club for some reason :)

But no, I have not been in an actual book club. I've always thought I would enjoy it, though. I always like to talk to others about the books I'm reading if I know they've read them or are reading them too.

#11 Techy855

Techy855

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Goodreads has some good online book clubs. They cover a pretty wide range of genre's. I have tried to participate in some of them, but keeping up with the reading speeds of others is tough.

I understand, now with Google + and the hangouts, some groups have tried to use that to do book clubs.

#12 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have always wanted to be a part of a book club, although I am thinking that finding a book club that has other readers who are interested in the same genre's are you might be a little difficult to come by. I used to be a part of a book club when I was in elementary school and it was an after school thing and I absolutely loved it, so getting into another one right now would be perfectly awesome. 

Does any one know of any good ones out there? 

I think keeping up with the reading pace of others is not really much of a problem if the book club would give out a book to read over say 2 weeks, and then reconvene after that? I guess it depends on why you are joining a book club, I would join based on the fact that I love reading and love discussing books and their literary aspects. If you're just there to socialize then there isn't really any point in being a part of a book club in my opinion.

Furthermore, I find that having a time frame in which to read a novel actually motivates me to read it, where being at home and having my book shelves full of potential amazing stories doesn't motivate me to read them. I get too distracted by work or games and when I do sit down and read a book I always end up asking myself why I hadn't read it earlier. 

I guess it really depends on whether you like to read 1-5 books a year, or 50 in a year. It depends on whether you want to be engrossed in reading, or only in the activity of reading every once in awhile. 

#13 cpw

cpw

Cordial

• 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

I've been in three or four book clubs in my adult life, but the one I'm in now is by far the best. First, we have a set schedule for an entire year. That makes it pretty easy to make sure people know when to come. We meet every 5th Thursday. No matter what. (Attendance isn't mandatory, but it is easy to work your calendar around it.)

The hostess does everything, from drinks, to dinner, to dessert. She also picks the book and leads the discussion. There is no pressure whatsoever to host, and actually, when I joined, the schedule was full for the next 10 months anyway.

We have one lady who sort of acts as a secretary, so she sends out email reminders of what we're reading next, and sends an Evite a week before the next meeting. It sounds obnoxiously formal as I write it all out, but it is just the opposite and really fun.

One thing I love about it is that we actually discuss the book. This is new. Every other book club I've been in just sort of met in the name of a book, but proceeded to eat and drink and never talk about the actual book. My current book club actually has a discussion. More than once, I've left liking the book a bit better after talking about it.

Another cool thing is that I've read tons of books I never would have considered, and ended up liking many of them. It is an all-girl book club, but the ages span from 30 to about 70, which is also cool for me. I'm probably one of the youngest (possibly THE youngest), and I honestly really love building these relationships with women who have come from all walks of life and have been through the thick of things before me.

#14 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

I have actually never ever been in a book club, although I would have loved to have been a part of a book club back in high school. I have always loved books and I have always loved reading, but my many groups of friends never shared that passion with me, and so I have never been a part of anything close to a book club. I can only wish.

#15 BWR

BWR

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

I love reading and would certainly like to be a member of a book club. However where I live it is almost impossible to find one. Also sad but true, most of my friends do not like to read, so I guess I am a bit of an oddity in this respect. 

#16 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

The book clubs I've belonged to have always been ones that met at bookstores. I liked it because it encouraged me to read outside my personal comfort zone :)

#17 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:24 AM

I love reading and would certainly like to be a member of a book club. However where I live it is almost impossible to find one. Also sad but true, most of my friends do not like to read, so I guess I am a bit of an oddity in this respect. 

Unfortunately my best friend is the only one of my friends that likes to read and write fiction, along with me. So I wouldn't really have much of a club to attend, and I am sure that the two of us would get bored at some point, because of a craving to discuss whatever book we may be reading with other people.

#18 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

I'm actually going to my first book club meeting in ages tonight, so that should be fun. Even if it isn't, the book was good and the meeting is at a pub, so I'm going to call it a net win.

#19 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

My boyfriend and I want to start up a book club with our friends, but we are having a hard time trying to decide on what books to read first. I am hoping to read a book that has been turned into a tv series or film so we can read it and then watch it afterward. Any suggestions on a series or a novel? 

#20 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:58 AM

Well my sister and my mother, and I are all very spiritual people. We recently came into contact with a book called Conversations With God by Neal Donald Walsch.

The audiobook is actually free on youtube. It is like eighteen hours in total. book one, two, and three.

So my mother and my sister suggested that we listen to a certain amount and then band together each week to discuss.