• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

I don't get why they don't have an on demand channel for the CW. I know they have one in Toronto. I hate their website.

#2 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Honestly I'm surprised there still *is* a primetime. With the advance of DVR services and most people turning to torrent programs, it seems regular, cable T.V. just doesn't exist anymore.

Good point

There are way too many factors to consider when accessing ratings of shows these days. TV is not like movies where every person who watches it is accounted for by ticket sales. I am not sure if they consider DVRs and TiVos but even if they did, online watchers that don't buy from iTunes are accounted for

DVR, TiVos and OnDemand are counted if you watch it within 7 days of airing. After that, it's not counted for ratings (not sure why).

#3 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Is "Nikita" cancelled? Also I miss "Supernatural" and am missing the new season because my cable company is having a dispute with Tribune so I don't get channel 11 in NYC anymore until the A-holes at Tribune agree to not force Cablevision to charge customers anymore money to carry their network.

You can watch SPN on the cwtv website for free (you can also download it via iTunes for $1.99 an episode if you prefer). Nikita is still on, it's on a Fridays, but I have a feeling it will be cancelled by December. It's not doing well.

#4 Ned Stark

Ned Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

The CW will start streaming [color=#5A70B3]Full Episodes[/color] 8 hours after they originally air.

According to [color=#5A70B3]Variety [/color], the shortening of wait time is the network's effort to stop piracy.

#5 MrsWinchester

MrsWinchester

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

That is awesome because I always hate having to wait 24-48 hours to catch an episode of a show I may have missed! I think all of the networks are facing this issue though, not just the CW.

#6 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Actually the CW made you wait THREE days before they upload new episodes

I get the idea behind this move but they'll loss iTunes revenues. Gossip Girl and Vampirw Diaries sold well on iTunes

#7 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't get why they don't have an on demand channel for the CW. I know they have one in Toronto. I hate their website.

They have great PR people, like wise they need better business managers, or in this case sales people? who'll distribute their shows in a way that'll he beneficial to the network

My cable company do not have CBS On Demand either, but I know other cable companies have it

#8 beastsbeauty

beastsbeauty

Cordial

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Honestly I'm surprised there still *is* a primetime. With the advance of DVR services and most people turning to torrent programs, it seems regular, cable T.V. just doesn't exist anymore.

#9 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Been on the fence myself about getting cable but I'm hearing a lot of cons that are outweighing the pros on that. Our city had a major issue when our city's only cable company decided not to carry some of the broadcast channels because of some bidding war between the station and cable company. I heard about a week or two worth of squabbling through the news and public announcements about the channels involved then nothing. Since I don't have cable, I have no clue if the broadcast channels involved reached an agreement or not. I am investigating the carrier that I go through for my cell and internet service for a bundle but it's costly and I'm just not convinced it's worth it yet.

#10 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Good point

There are way too many factors to consider when accessing ratings of shows these days. TV is not like movies where every person who watches it is accounted for by ticket sales. I am not sure if they consider DVRs and TiVos but even if they did, online watchers that don't buy from iTunes are accounted for

#11 Zoey

Zoey

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I always have a problem with the CW website, too. I thought it was just me. I actually stopped watching a few CW shows, because I could not catch up, after missing a few episodes, and could not wait three days until it was up on their website.

#12 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

I always have a problem with the CW website, too. I thought it was just me. I actually stopped watching a few CW shows, because I could not catch up, after missing a few episodes, and could not wait three days until it was up on their website.

I don't like watching shows online already, delaying it makes me want to watch it less

I confess I have bought some GG episodes from iTunes but that was in season 3 when the show was worth spending money on

#13 Gimgak

Gimgak

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Seems like tv execs are smartening up then; if you are good to your customers you'll see piracy wane as a lot (although not all) pirates simply do it due to convenience and not just out of being cheap. I remember a few months back the MPAA decided to punish a certain country as a lot of cams were coming from there (can't recall off the top of my head which country), seems that their tactic will just make them lose money in that region as people don't want to wait months after the rest of the world gets to see something.

#14 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Honestly, I can see the CW going downhill soon anyway. Gossip Girl is ending, It's more than likely 90210 will get dropped after next season. There is no telling how much Supernatural has left in the tank. That can go almost anytime. Arrow might survive because it's a DC superhero show.

It almost mirror images the WB (the owners of the network before CW) when they were on their final years.

#15 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Is "Nikita" cancelled? Also I miss "Supernatural" and am missing the new season because my cable company is having a dispute with Tribune so I don't get channel 11 in NYC anymore until the A-holes at Tribune agree to not force Cablevision to charge customers anymore money to carry their network.

#16 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

I hate when the feud affects my TV viewing. Luckily for me, we transferred to Verizon in the summer

#17 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Yeah it sucks. I am on my cable subscribers side though. They simply do not want to pay tribune more money to broadcast their networks shows because those costs get passed down to the consumer. And inflating already inflated cable bills here in the big apple won't sit well with most people. Tribune didn't have any issues with CV until the new owners came to town. The folks who took over tribune are Hedgefund runners. Same type of folks who caused the current economic collapse. Not directly, but they all run in the same circles and are cut from the same cloth. So I certainly back CV in these talks. I figured "Nikita" would be on its way out sooner or later. Too many betrayals and people are good one minute, villains the next. Also they might've made Maggie Q's character TOO GOOD. No show works without the heroine being put in danger once or twice. That's how "Alias" lasted so long.

#18 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

You can watch SPN on the cwtv website for free (you can also download it via iTunes for $1.99 an episode if you prefer). Nikita is still on, it's on a Fridays, but I have a feeling it will be cancelled by December. It's not doing well.

Yeah I don't like to watch TV shows online lol. I have a 60 inch flat screen TV. I enjoy my shows much more on there. But if this dispute isn't resolved soon, I might have to start checking on "SN" on cwtv.com. :(

#19 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

According to this Hollywood Reporter Article, the CW is coming to On Demand. They've made a deal with Camcast to show episodes of Vampire Diaries, Arrow (YAY!) Supernatural and Gossip Girl the day after they air

I am so glad they got rid of Dawn Ostroff, moves like this is why I feel Matt Strauss has the network's best interest at heart. He is not looking to carter one particular group of the demographics like Dawn and her obsession with one particular was

Noticeable absence from the list of available show is newcomer, Beauty and the Beast. I wonder if it means cancellation is imminent

#20 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I don't have Comcast. Looks like I'm screwed. Then again maybe not. I hope not. But I just want Cablevision to put the screwed to Tribune already and start whacking them around so I can get my CW back! :huh: