• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

I had hoped that the CW would just be a rebranding of the WB, but they went in a much different direction. I know that the shows on the WB were aimed at teens in general, but they weren't as dumbed down as a lot of the shows that keep premiering on the CW. I can accept shows being cheesy, but they should at least be well-written.

#22 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I don't have Comcast. Looks like I'm screwed. Then again maybe not. I hope not. But I just want Cablevision to put the screwed to Tribune already and start whacking them around so I can get my CW back! :huh:

This seems to be a scary growing trend between cable providers and television networks. I remember something very similar happened two years ago with Viacom and Time Warner Cable. We have TIme Warner. So we lost a ton of channels because Viacom actually owns a lot such as MTV, Nickelodeon, etc. They came to an agreement eventually. But the reality that everything could be gone in a hurry was a real eye opener.

#23 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yeah I know. We got The CW back though. Mostly because Cablevision purchased another network and that deal put pressure on the Tribune guys to fold. So they did. I wish this would happen more often though with channels I don't care about. Like the Style network lol.

#24 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I don't get how this means the CW is hanging by a thread. From the topic I was starting to believe that the network was on the way out. But instead if was about them streaming programs in lesser time after they air. I don't see how that is a sign they are hanging by a thread. Although, I would have to admit that their ratings are an indicator of this. But then the CW has never been what you would call a top contender in the ratings game as it is.

#25 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I don't get how this means the CW is hanging by a thread. From the topic I was starting to believe that the network was on the way out. But instead if was about them streaming programs in lesser time after they air. I don't see how that is a sign they are hanging by a thread. Although, I would have to admit that their ratings are an indicator of this. But then the CW has never been what you would call a top contender in the ratings game as it is.

That is probably because the topic is outdated

The OP doesn't apply anymore as they've been massive changes in network. They are also doing better now with the new hit series Arrow

#26 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

I still think The CW will not reach its full potential until they start coming up with some ground breaking programming. I though they made a big mistake not picking up that zombie series "Awakening".

#27 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

But dummed down is what sells these days unfortunately. So you can't blame the networks for capitalizing on the trend. Which is their jobs. Create for profit. But yeah, The CW is like a Junior version of the E! network.

#28 That1Girl

That1Girl

Cordial

• 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't get why they don't have an on demand channel for the CW. I know they have one in Toronto. I hate their website.

Agreed. With nearly every other channel having an On Demand channel, not having one for the CW is crazy. The network is popular, hits the coveted target audience and we just want it, darn it! :rolleyes:

#29 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

I feel like as long as the CW has Vampire Diaries, they'll be okay.  That series has a HUGE following, and in my opinion has pretty much carried the network, along with Gossip Girl.  I'm not really a huge fan of TVD, but I am familiar with some of the fandoms on Tumblr.  Now that The CW is premiering the Vampire Diaries spinoff, The Originals, in the Fall I think we may see an increase in their ratings this year. 

Their new series 'Reign' also looks pretty promising, it's set to premiere in the Fall as well.  It is the story of Mary-Queen of Scots, and her love triangle among the royal family of France.  They have a decent cast lined up for the show too.

#30 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

This is a great idea but i really wish that they would get an ondemand channel for all cable providers. Being able to stream is great, but if you don't have a fast internet connection and you have a lot of devices using the internet at once, it's going to take forever to watch on episode. It will constantly freeze up and glitch. I usually just DVR everything, which is also a pain because after a while, it all adds up and sits on my DVR taking up space.

#31 AyeManda

AyeManda

Cordial

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Streaming television shows when your internet is acting up can be SO annoying.  The other night it took me literally over an hour and a half to watch an hour long episode on of a TV show on Netflix, a lot of people live in my house and in the evening there are two or three laptops, a gaming system, and a few cell phones all trying to use the internet, and it causes whatever we are streaming at the time to glitch and freeze up. 

#32 mkcookin

mkcookin

Cordial

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I agree, they should add the shows to On Demand. I think this is probably one of the main reason, why people are turning to the internet to watch shows. All other networks, have their shows on the television in less than 24 hours. Since, CW is falling behind, people naturally want to watch these shows just as fast. 

#33 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

On Demand is complicated because there's licensing involved and money that people want a part of. Working out some of those details and lose ends is more complicated than it seems.

#34 hogwarts

hogwarts

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

Honestly, I feel like the CW will continue to struggle along because they'll scrape by on their appeal to the teenybopper set (although, with Gossip Girl gone, even this may change). I think they need to find another potentially 'iconic' show to air. I also think that they relied on certain shows (such as but not limited to GG) too much, and now that those shows have ended or will likely soon end, they'll be in a bind. Hopefully they find a way to revitalize the network. Coming to On Demand is a good start, I think.

#35 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

In fairness, the CW was barely hanging on by a thread years ago, too. It's mostly known as that crappy channel you get free on any tv.

#36 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

That's their fault though. They had shows they could've brought in. "Dark Shadows", "Awakening", "Veronica Mars"...they cancelled that. They instead chose to go for cheap, sleazy, teen t.v. 

#37 Wayne Clark

Wayne Clark

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

I can definitely see why some would feel this way. Luckily the CW does allow streaming on sites such as Hulu and Netflix but I'm not sure how it works with cable and On Demand. As far as programming goes, it's no secret that The Vampire Diaries is the networks flagship series and is doing pretty well as it enters it's 5th season. Along with that, Arrow is doing pretty good and The Originals spin off looks promising. They added some more new shows but at the moment I can't name them. I think the CW won't have any problems for a while.

#38 4justice

4justice

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

They're hanging on by a thread because anything decent they have either gets canceled or starts off good, THEN gets canceled.

Then you have some things that should have been done already like Supernatural. The show was good but they are really dragging that series for every thing they can get.

#39 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yep. Sam and Dean look about 40 or older now. Should start calling it Middle Aged and Supernatural.

#40 korinna

korinna

Friendly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yep. Sam and Dean look about 40 or older now. Should start calling it Middle Aged and Supernatural.

LOL! And then it will be "Senior Citizens and Supernatural", preferrably shot in Florida! :lol: