• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

British talk show host Jeremy Kyle brings to USA his hard hitting no nonsense talk show that explores the everyday problems involving families (whole or in part) in relationships be they between them and their children or significant others.

I enjoy his smart talking ways of cutting down the guest that comes off smarter or better than everyone else. I also enjoy his variety of guests and I've learned so much about how to resolve different problems through his psychiatrist Dr.Janet Taylor.

#2 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with his style of running his show, it's like a combination of Jerry Springer with the subject matter and the guests getting nearly physical and the number of talk shows that try solving the problems through on tv therapy sessions. I'm not sure how I feel about his show since it started airing here. I cannot help watching it though and have yet to turn it off. Perhaps I'm just curious and want to see how it ends.

#3 Squared

Squared

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

Have you ever seen any episodes of the original UK show? They're really outrageous, and unpleasant to watch. At the end of the day do we really need another show where people are so desperate for five minutes of fame they will humiliate themselves like this?

#4 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

He really gets into his role as a host doesn't he? Comes off as a bit of a know-it-all. I thought Wilkos was bad with his demands of the black sheep guests stand until the results prove their innocence but, Kyle, he just really has no problem leveling the guests with British style name calling or insults.

#5 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Have you ever seen any episodes of the original UK show? They're really outrageous, and unpleasant to watch. At the end of the day do we really need another show where people are so desperate for five minutes of fame they will humiliate themselves like this?

No, but if it's anything like his appearance on US version, I'd rather not see it. I cannot tell whether or not he's genuine. I am curious though why he moved the show to the United States. Did they ban him in UK for the outrageous way he talks to his guests? Have you caught Jerry Springer? Is it like that show?

#6 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with his style of running his show, it's like a combination of Jerry Springer with the subject matter and the guests getting nearly physical and the number of talk shows that try solving the problems through on tv therapy sessions. I'm not sure how I feel about his show since it started airing here. I cannot help watching it though and have yet to turn it off. Perhaps I'm just curious and want to see how it ends.

There was a couple of times I honestly thought that some of his characters would erupt into the shoving and slapping fest Springer is famous for. The tension is so thick it can be cut with a knife. He treats his guests like kids. It maybe that they act like kids true enough, just you'd think he'd try to defuse the situation by calming people down not by hurling insults and acting like their angry father who, when finished scolding them sends them to time out.

#7 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

No, but if it's anything like his appearance on US version, I'd rather not see it. I cannot tell whether or not he's genuine. I am curious though why he moved the show to the United States. Did they ban him in UK for the outrageous way he talks to his guests? Have you caught Jerry Springer? Is it like that show?

not banned its more a case of his show has become synonymous with low intelligence self absorbed wastes of space in its viewers - i would guess the american term is white trailer park trash (not intending to be offensive there) basically it is considered the only people who watch it are people who dropped out of school at 16 or younger, drink, smoke are unemployed and intend staying unemployed and who have lots of children with lots of different partners. i think he got fed up with being sneered at for his perceived audience

#8 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Damn!

Thank you all for the warning, this is one show I won't be watching

#9 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Oh it does have its uses - if a decent person feels their life is awful and is suicidal a single episode of jeremy kyle will leave them in a much more positive frame of mind.

#10 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

I like his psychologist/therapist, whatever you want to call her. She seems level headed even when Kyle isn't. I've seen her work miracles (or seemingly so) regarding tough no budge men and women turning them into maybe and yes. Just cool how she changes their minds. She's not 100% but close enough.

#11 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

The few times I've tuned into this show while flipping channels I found it to be very trashy. I don't have a high regard for talk shows that are just pure dysfunction.

#12 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Funny, I had to keep checking yesterday the show I was watching. I thought I had forgotten to turn it to Judge Judy when Springer came on at 4 PM in my area. Sad part was, it was only 2 PM and I wasn't watching Springer at all, I was watching Jeremy Kyle. It was that bad.

#13 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

I've never seen the show, but I have seen commercials that show snippets of it, and I'm sorry, but he seems a little brash. I understand that in some cases, the brashness is necessary when dealing with certain people, but I think there's a level and limit, and this guy is walking a straight line.

#14 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

I like most talk shows, court dramas and reality type shows where justice is served to the masses with a bit of sarcasm on top. Many of these people are on the shows because they want the attention and when they get it, they actually get off on it. It's unfortunate but, many shows like this wouldn't be if people didn't like watching it.

#15 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

I've never seen the show, but I have seen commercials that show snippets of it, and I'm sorry, but he seems a little brash. I understand that in some cases, the brashness is necessary when dealing with certain people, but I think there's a level and limit, and this guy is walking a straight line.

He certainly does have a way of coming off to the panelists. I don't know if it's just him or he's putting on this persona when he hits the stage and in front of the cameras. People change when they know they're being watched.

People all sweet and kind off camera turn into someone you wouldn't recognize because they've donned a character that is 99% so not how you know them as.

#16 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

The last few episodes have really been painful for me to watch and so, I've decided to hang up the remote where he's concerned and find something else during that time slot. He's gotten so Springer and I'm not really in the mindset these days to sit through Trailer Trash Central, my made up name for the doings of the trailer parks from around the USA. Not my cup of tea, the thing is, though, it's obviously attracting enough to keep it on the air. Sad when you think about it.

#17 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

There was a question posted on another thread from someone living in the UK about Jeremy Kyle and whether or not it is reality TV or drama. I wanted to answer but, I thought I'd see it in here and haven't yet.

I think Mr. Kyle has gotten bitten by the TV bug which happens when shows move from one country to one that is as huge as America's with it's many shows and dramas. The move gets lost or caught up depending on subject matter discussed.

Kye's problem is that he misses the mark a bit with his topics I've noticed. Wilkos focuses too much on sexual abuse whereas Kyle focus's too much on the Springer rejects.

#18 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

I really can not stand to watch things like this, too many people try to go into it with good intentions but in the end its just about airing that dirty laundry. I remember almost 20 years ago a girl in our town was on a show because she was a bad teen and it did nothing to help her sort herself out, her mother was crushed. It was just bad from the start and went downhill from there.

#19 mylyric

mylyric

Cordial

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

I wouldn't say that I tune in to watch the Jeremy Kyle show 5 days a week, but when I watch it I always get a good laugh. There's something so weird about his show at times, because some are believable and some aren't. He loves to get in the faces of his guest that he doesn't agree with, which is a little to close for comfort. I think that 75% of his quest have real issue's, while 25% are coming for the free trip. Overall, I think that Jeremy carries his show, because when I do watch it, I watch to see him in action  :rolleyes: .

Edited by mylyric, 23 October 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#20 kmommy37

kmommy37

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Jeremy Kyle is nothing but a bully and his approach is atrocious to say the least. I have tried to watch his show a couple of times and the way he jumped into the faces of his guests was just too much for me. I am not sure if his style of belligerence works in the UK but I don’t see that working too long for him in the states. I have watched him badger people into doing what he wants them to do and he acts like this strictly for the ratings obviously. It’s just so uncomfortable to watch.