• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hard hitting mental health professional Psychologist Dr. Phil McGraw has been helping people from the comfort of their own homes with substance abuse, weight issues and a host of other issues facing families today. He comes across with his southern drawl quoting country born cliches he's famous for to drive home the point he's trying to make or put a light spin on a tense situation.

I first saw him on Opera Winfrey as most of us have and found him very knowledgable in what he knows. He comes off abrasive sometimes but, I don't think it's anything off putting or mean spirited.

#2 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

What makes Dr. Phil so interesting? I have never been able to sit through one episode of Dr. Phil, the people who go on it should be committed on sight

#3 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

What makes Dr. Phil so interesting? I have never been able to sit through one episode of Dr. Phil, the people who go on it should be committed on sight

Maybe it's his country boy charms that makes people tune in or it might be that he's trying to help those that need it. I know several episodes I've watched left me irritated rather than satisfied the problem was resolved. I think too, most of us want to be a fly on the wall in some of these therapy sessions and we get to do that in a sense. I thought in the beginning he was riding on Winfrey's apron strings because her show launched his career as a tv therapist but he's been able to hold his own for the past 8 of the 10 (giving him the 2 year honeymoon because he launched his show from Winfrey's).

I visited his website to get the spelling of his wife's name as well as the correct spelling of his last name and it looks like he's got his hands in a number of things besides his show. He's not for everyone though, I find myself turning it off given the subject matter.

#4 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have never watched an entire show, they have seen glimpses of it. It is too dramatic and the subject matter to me is usually uninteresting.

#5 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

You've never watched Jeremy Kyle then have you? By comparison, Dr. Phil is quite tame and laid back compared to Kyle who is forward, bold, insulting and the subject matter is mostly heated.

#6 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I agree with gktime - he tries too hard to add drama, and his guests are usually enough to make me want to take a baseball bat to the t.v. screen. I stop watching back when he began that 'Dr. Phil House' - that place should have been burned down, LOL. Guests in the beginning of the show were more normal and less annoying, but the show totally turned me off when they began to have nothing but fake jerks on. Plus Dr. Phil himself is too arrogant to take seriously (ever heard about what his first wife has to say about him, hee hee?)

#7 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

(ever heard about what his first wife has to say about him, hee hee?)

According to his first wife he was domineering husband and would not allow her to participate in the family business. She claimed that she was confined to domestic duties, which included lifting weights to improve her bust-line.

Dr. Phil had several unsuccessful shows including 'Decision House", and 'Moochers" and most of his shows are spin-off or clone from other famous shows. No wonder it did not gained his expected viewers.
Aside from that, he also has a lot of critics in the way he handles his career which seems to be contradicting and annoying in some aspects.
He even tried helping Britney Spears during her hospitalization, but Britney's doctors claimed that he only caused additional damage in her mental condition!LOL

#8 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

oh goodness, I just had a flash of (Dr. Phil's standing over BS pointing to her): Now you and I both know that you have the power within you to stop this nonsense, get up and snap out of it. Hilarious!

#9 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Maybe it's his country boy charms that makes people tune in or it might be that he's trying to help those that need it. I know several episodes I've watched left me irritated rather than satisfied the problem was resolved. I think too, most of us want to be a fly on the wall in some of these therapy sessions and we get to do that in a sense. I thought in the beginning he was riding on Winfrey's apron strings because her show launched his career as a tv therapist but he's been able to hold his own for the past 8 of the 10 (giving him the 2 year honeymoon because he launched his show from Winfrey's). I visited his website to get the spelling of his wife's name as well as the correct spelling of his last name and it looks like he's got his hands in a number of things besides his show. He's not for everyone though, I find myself turning it off given the subject matter.

Thank you CAMom50

I didn't know he's had that many seasons. The borderline tantalization must be working in his favor

#10 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

I have to say after few episodes I had this feeling that Dr. Phil brings to many examples from his own life rather then focusing on the actual problem of his "patients". I don't know why but personally, I don't like to watch a shows where people try to resolve problems of other people pretending that they are perfect and in the case of Dr. Phil this is exactly how I feel. Nevertheless, I do watch it from time to time and I have to say I've managed to picked up a few advices which helped me in my day-to-day life.

#11 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Dr. Phil has said more than one time he has always hated counseling - that he has often come out of a session "hating" the patients. That's enough evidence for me that he's all an act for the camera and insincere. Not that I blame him for hating the patients - I'd probably despise a good deal of them too, if what he has on T.V. are any example :lol . But I'm not trying to get rich by pretending to care about and help them.

#12 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

He does not interest me all that much either. Only when he has a very interesting topic on am I able to sit through a whole show.

#13 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

Dr. Phil has said more than one time he has always hated counseling - that he has often come out of a session "hating" the patients. That's enough evidence for me that he's all an act for the camera and insincere. Not that I blame him for hating the patients - I'd probably despise a good deal of them too, if what he has on T.V. are any example :lol . But I'm not trying to get rich by pretending to care about and help them.

The word that comes to mind is "exploitation" and he's good at it. At least on Springer, it's the guests that exploit themselves for the media attention and the more outrageous the story plot the more likely it gets aired. At least with Springer, he doesn't try "helping" the guest (except for his little ditty at the end and even then it's marginally helpful at best) with old school been there done that "therapy" which amounts to no more than yakking about it on the couch. Yawn.

I want to see some shock therapy! Just kidding.

#14 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

I like Dr. Phil, but I noticed that a lot of times he has the same people on the show, and I even think that one guest on the show or in the audience pointed out at one point that he seemed to lean toward helping a specific type of person, i.e., pretty blond girls. I'm not saying he's racist, because I seriously don't get that vibe from him, but I'm also vaguely aware that he hasn't had a plethora of people on his stage, and I'm sorry, but pretty, young, blonde drug addicts aren't the only people in the country that need help.

#15 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

I like Dr. Phil, but I noticed that a lot of times he has the same people on the show, and I even think that one guest on the show or in the audience pointed out at one point that he seemed to lean toward helping a specific type of person, i.e., pretty blond girls. I'm not saying he's racist, because I seriously don't get that vibe from him, but I'm also vaguely aware that he hasn't had a plethora of people on his stage, and I'm sorry, but pretty, young, blonde drug addicts aren't the only people in the country that need help.

No, but pretty young things are the only things that drive up the ratings unless they're pretty blond naked things (but that's for Jerry Springer). Could be too that Dr. Phil is appealing to a different demographic, the young things that are in college and addicted. It might be too, that with those pretty young things comes handsome and well muscled young manly things :lol

#16 realityjunkie

realityjunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

I think Dr. Phil has slightly more credibility than Dr. Oz, but he's still pretty kooky. It really makes me wonder if these "doctors" have time to be doctors in real life!!

#17 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think Dr. Phil has slightly more credibility than Dr. Oz, but he's still pretty kooky. It really makes me wonder if these "doctors" have time to be doctors in real life!!

I have a friend that told me once while we were talking about psychiatrists that these therapists, psychiatrists and psychologists have to be somewhat unbalanced to work in their field. I often wondered that myself. They certainly seem unbalanced or have similar quirks and "tics" like those they have as patients. Just an opinion, not meant as an offense.

#18 opal

opal

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:29 AM

I have never watched his show on a regular basis. Just small "quips" now and again. A friend did send me a link to one of his shows on weight loss, showcasing the book "Eat to Live." I ordered a copy and am currently reading it. Makes a lot of sense. In this respect, he does have reputable people on his show and he is enough of a showman to pull it off. Maybe I'll start watching him full time.

#19 CSINY

CSINY

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

I have watched a few Dr. Phil shows and I can honestly say he irritated me the whole time. I don't know what it is about him but I was irritated. His voice alone is enough for me to turn the channel.

#20 edna

edna

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

I have caught a few minutes every now and then but its not something I would really watch that much. For some reason I am just not thrilled with airing so much dirty laundry all over the TV for the world to see.