• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Back when he first got his own show, I watched him quite a bit. I don't watch him at all anymore because I never have the time, but I do think he is a smart guy and that he does help people.

#22 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

I used to watch his show, but pretty much only because it was one of the two or three channels that came in clearly. I think that the people he "helps" are either paid actors or people are a whole lot dumber than I was willing to give them credit for.

#23 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

I don't watch Dr. Phil on the regular however I do appreciate his no nonsense approach to people and helping them solve their problems. What I like about him is that he shoots it straight and tries to make people own up and be accountable for their actions as opposed to instigating a bad situation into something more for the sake of TV ratings and drama on TV like Jerry Springer days.

#24 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

I can't stand him. And I can't stand how people will follow blindly. Look him up some time and you'll see tons of sites that talk about all the misinformation he has put out there. Even his Wikipedia entry talks about the controversies he's stirred up, too. No thanks.

#25 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Well to be fair, he seemed more like a publicity stunt anyway. The only reason he even has a show in the first place was because of his constant appereances on Oprah back when she had her talk show.

#26 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Well to be fair, he seemed more like a publicity stunt anyway. The only reason he even has a show in the first place was because of his constant appereances on Oprah back when she had her talk show.

He definitely was. The problem with it is that people actually regard him as some all-knowing doctor, though. They would see him on Oprah and then follow whatever advice he was giving. I still people talk about him and his advice as though it's the best thing ever and that of a "real doctor" when it's just not a replacement for seeing your own doctor who actually knows your charts and whatnot, sigh.

#27 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

That is very true. It's the same thing with Nate and Rachel Ray who she discovered. Now Rachel Ray has a show of her own and she has a fan base. I think Nate had a show in the works. It may have already been on the air. I don't know because, I don't really follow Oprah's "clone wannabes". :P

#28 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

It's a testament to how easily people can be made into sheep. All it took was a few constant apperances on Oprah. And because people followed her like she was a God, it was assumed anything she touched was gold. So it made it very easy for everyone to latch onto Dr. Phil because he had already grown his own "herd of sheep" thanks to Oprah.

#29 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I was looking on the net. This guy has a myriad of lawsuits filed against him. Everything from a former friend of his suing him for a dog attack to some girl suing him saying he held her captive.

#30 Realitytv

Realitytv

Cordial

• 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

I love Dr. Phil show. I guess I have always love the mental health profession and I work in one too so this is my treat for sure. For once, we have something that is educational and effective on TV to help families. I get kind of bored from all the other shows sometimes where most things are not real but Dr. Phil is for real. I love the way he figures out people and then try to help them. I love the kind of shows that he do. I think people will be more aware as he do those shows like parents who abuse their children or mental health problems. These are a treat for health nuts like me for sure. I wish that they have more shows like his. I love Dr. Drew too. We see a lot of shows on TV where its all about making real skinny women look attractive, or exploiting women, for once I get to see a positive show where the doctor encourage people to be normal and healthy so this is a big break for me and for TV. 

#31 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

That is very true. It's the same thing with Nate and Rachel Ray who she discovered. Now Rachel Ray has a show of her own and she has a fan base. I think Nate had a show in the works. It may have already been on the air. I don't know because, I don't really follow Oprah's "clone wannabes". :P

Nate Berkus? At least that's just interior design, it's not like he's giving health care advice. In all honesty, I don't know much about him, but one of my friends bought me a book of his a while back. The photos of what I'm assuming was his work were nice, but who knows what these TV personalities actually do. A lot of them just have ghost writers and others doing their work for them,

#32 AngelicaNicole

AngelicaNicole

Cordial

• 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

I love the Dr. Phil show as well and I commend those who work in the mental health field because it can be very stressful. If one does not have thick skin, then it can sometimes bring you down by the things that people with mental disabilities say. I am very sensitive so I know that I could not do that job. I'm in college to become a middle/high school teacher--I love children and teaching. I agree with what Reality tv stated that his show is real and that is one of the reasons why I try to watch his show all the time. I like the reality shows and shows that are scripted but I really learned about from Dr. Phil--he's great and very good at his job.I like when they give a two day show on the same person that is having an issue, I like to see how they are progressing. 

#33 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

This is talking years ago now, but back when I first began to watch Dr. Phil, I quite liked how downtempo the show was? I mean, we had shows like Maury Povich and Jerry Springer, and it was nice to get away from the madness, and have the host of the show sitting so intimately with his guests, but once the novelty of that wore off I was bored out of my mind with his shows, and couldn't wait to get back to those two other shows I mentioned.

#34 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

But if he's not really qualified to be giving medical advice, should people be really listening to him? I would much rather get treatment from someone who was medically trained to address mental illness than someone who is a TV celebrity selling his persona. He has always come across to me as kind of an armchair psychiatrist who is just winging it as he goes. A lot of people can have strong opinions and assertive personalities and lecture others, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are right. Without any peer reviewed formal training to back up their statements, I always wonder how much potential damage he could be causing to some people by giving them improper advice. Many times I feel like people like this just say what the audience wants to hear. Also, I find it in poor taste for someone to be giving people advice on personal issues like this in a public setting. Treatment for personal issues like this should be between a real doctor and their patient, not put on display like this to humiliate them.

Edited by OhioTom76, 22 August 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#35 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

I like Dr. Phil, but there has been some rumors going around that need to be put to rest for those dealing with Mental Wellness.The rumors are that he made some hate comments about the mentally ill, in the US. Even if he didn't make them, we still need to clear the way here. The comments were discriminatory and hurtful.

#36 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Has anybody been watching Doctor Phil lately ? His behavior seems to be off. The doctor is a bit shorts tempered with the guest and a little less compassionate. I am wondering if he is getting cocky because is rating are at an all time high. Could he just be getting a little fed up after seeing people not deal with their problems in an positive way. I wish he would stop plugging that book "Life Code " Yes Doctor Phil we know you wrote another book , we got it the fit 50 times.

#37 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

Has anybody been watching Doctor Phil lately ? His behavior seems to be off. The doctor is a bit shorts tempered with the guest and a little less compassionate. I am wondering if he is getting cocky because is rating are at an all time high. Could he just be getting a little fed up after seeing people not deal with their problems in an positive way. I wish he would stop plugging that book "Life Code " Yes Doctor Phil we know you wrote another book , we got it the fit 50 times.

Really? He needs to get himself in order if this is the case. I have NEVER liked Doctor Phil. Something about his is very unlikable i my opinion, and since he is the host of the show and has to be there each episode it is hard for me to want to tune back in. If you don't like the host, then there is kind of no point in watching a show. There is something very deceptive about him.

#38 MercyL

MercyL

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Really? He needs to get himself in order if this is the case. I have NEVER liked Doctor Phil. Something about his is very unlikable i my opinion, and since he is the host of the show and has to be there each episode it is hard for me to want to tune back in. If you don't like the host, then there is kind of no point in watching a show. There is something very deceptive about him.

I think it is time that Dr. Phil bowed out of the television show and moved to talk radio. His mood might indicate his finally reaching burn out from trying to scrape every cent he could from his popularity before his star goes dark.

There are plenty of people who could do what he does on his television show. I think he has realized that he really is not that special and that might be affecting his mood, as well! :lol:

#39 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

I watched him today and he was even worst. He kept yelling at the poor women who already looked broken and wimpy. Every time she went to answer a question he would cut her off and not let her explain ,demanding she just answer the question. This man is so one sided and comes to the show with preformed opinions. Dr. Phil is becoming the Judge Judy of day time talk. Maybe he should hang it up and just go on a book tour.

#40 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

I think it is time that Dr. Phil bowed out of the television show and moved to talk radio. His mood might indicate his finally reaching burn out from trying to scrape every cent he could from his popularity before his star goes dark.

There are plenty of people who could do what he does on his television show. I think he has realized that he really is not that special and that might be affecting his mood, as well! :lol:

hahaha! Maybe, but he has zero charisma, and I would I not trust him as far as I could throw him. He looks like a perverts and a liar, and like the advice that he would give would be geared towards benefiting him in some way shape or form. He is someone I would steer completely clear of.

He wouldn't yell at me like he did at that woman.