• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Seriously, how many white washes can one character get?  First he gets a brain tumor and now he's a member of the Baldwin family one of the original families of this show.  Sorry, but this just isn't working, no offense to Roger Howarth fine actor, but the character's damage was done before he took on the role.  Big mistake having him be Franco to begin with.

The only thing that works here is the nod to history.  Scott and Heather did have an affair when his marriage to Laura fell apart.  Also, like the fact that this whole Jason had a twin garbage is over.  But that is the only things that are good about this story.  Other then that, not liking it too much.  

#2 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Too many to count.

He saved Michael's life. Add it to the list.

#3 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Why is Heather even still around? Or Lucy? Or Scott? I mean really! Who cares about any of them in relation to any storyline? I missed the show the last two days, but I caught the last half hour of yesterday's repeat on Soap Net. WTH??? I am over Ava, I am over Morgan; isn't it time for the two of them to leave town? Unless Julian and Sonny decide to form a truce there is nowhere for any of the current craziness to go. 

Oh, and it's time for someone to remind Lulu of all her dirty deeds...

#4 MyaMcBriar

MyaMcBriar

Friendly

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

It's crazy isn't it? Scotty and Heather had their affair in the early 80's, this was after he was married to Laura the 1st time. So that would make Franco about 30 years old. No offense to RH, he's very handsome but 30...I don't think so!

#5 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

The idea of Scott and Heather having sex is not something I even want to think about - double ick! I actually kind of feel sorry for Franco, that is if this latest claim is actually true. As for as age goes, this is TV, lol. People can age years in a matter of weeks while other people seem to stay suspended in time for months and months and months. Interesting the Nik and Britt finally kissed...

#6 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

As of late, I've been stuck watching General Hospital again. I gave it up years ago as it just became Sonny Hospital and I couldn't take it anymore. But, I still had a vague idea of what was going on and I think one of the things that I have really hated about it as of late is that not only is the current show ruined, but their insistence on taking once great characters and destroying their history.

Anna Devane would've buried Sonny long ago, but she's this bumbling Commissioner. As for Heather and Scotty being Franco's parents, as stated, what is the point? I get trying to tie characters to the history of the show, but not every character needs that, especially if you have to use a shoehorn to do it.

Just let Franco be the crazy man and be done with it. I won't even get into them trying to redo Todd and Blair on GH with Franco and Nina.

#7 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

As of late, I've been stuck watching General Hospital again. I gave it up years ago as it just became Sonny Hospital and I couldn't take it anymore. But, I still had a vague idea of what was going on and I think one of the things that I have really hated about it as of late is that not only is the current show ruined, but their insistence on taking once great characters and destroying their history.

Anna Devane would've buried Sonny long ago, but she's this bumbling Commissioner. As for Heather and Scotty being Franco's parents, as stated, what is the point? I get trying to tie characters to the history of the show, but not every character needs that, especially if you have to use a shoehorn to do it.

Just let Franco be the crazy man and be done with it. I won't even get into them trying to redo Todd and Blair on GH with Franco and Nina.

I Think they ruined the Franco character along time a go. James Franco made this character his own and having Todd manning come in and destroy it made no since what so ever. This person he is playing is NOT Franco  they should have just made him in to a new character and not tried to pretend he was Franco. 

#8 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

I Think they ruined the Franco character along time a go. James Franco made this character his own and having Todd manning come in and destroy it made no since what so ever. This person he is playing is NOT Franco  they should have just made him in to a new character and not tried to pretend he was Franco. 

I agree. I don't know why they chose to turn Franco around and try to make him a nice guy - though we can see his dark side returning of late. In spite of all his "faults" I loved Todd. I guess because I started watching OLTL well after Todd the rapist, so it made it easier to like/accept him. I could not handle Franco before; he totally creeped me out - to the extent that I don't watch James Franco in anything to this day. 

#9 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

Well, that's the biggest problem with modern day soap writing, they have no vision nor courage. James Franco coming on was stupid in the first place as he was never and could never stay full time. That's critical to good soap opera.

However, they initially wrote him under that premise, so you could attempt to swallow. When they started bringing him back over and over again, it became as ridiculous as all of Luke's recent storylines to accommodate his vacations.

What ABC really should have done was pay off the company that bought AMC and OLTL for the rights back to Todd. It's hard to have a character do all sorts of heinous things and then turn around and expect the audience to see them differently. What Roger was able to do with Todd years ago was an once in a blue moon kind of thing.

#10 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

That would have been great if they could have retained the Todd character and even John McBain because all that other silly nonsense would have been completely unnecessary. Todd and Carly would have been a way better idea than Carly and Franco. Can't wait to see what happens to that once everyone realizes Jason is back. That is, if stupid Helena storylines don't interfere. 

#11 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

The best thing they can do regarding Jason is return him to being a real Quartermaine. Him becoming Sonny's hit man was something that should've never lasted more than a year. All someone had to do was tell him the truth about how Sonny was getting his kicks by having one of the guys that used to mock and belittle him as his errand boy and even Jason Morgan would've wised up and walked away.

#12 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

I think Jason reverting to who he was before the head trauma would be ideal as well, but I don't think it is likely that he will suddenly go back to normal. However, now that we know that Jerry is the one holding Luke and trying to take over ELQ, Helena certainly must have a hand in that somehow, which would explain why she has some kind of plan for Jason.

#13 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

That's just it, the writers can do whatever they want if they have some conviction and a good story to tell. But, most writers now are so afraid of the fans that they won't take any chances and go with the better story. That's why Carly could never be with Lorenzo because the fans only want a story that involves Sonny and Maurice Benard threw his weight around backstage.

#14 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

Lorenzo? You mean Alcazar? 

I have to admit I love Sonny. I don't always love where the writers take us with what they write for his character, but Maurice has a lot of charisma so it's hard not to like Sonny. (Sigh) I wish Soap Net was still an option...

#15 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

His name was Lorenzo Alcazar, Carly used his first name.

Nah, Maurice has been mailing it in for years. It's so bad that he even admitted to not caring about the majority of his storylines and that is what makes it so frustrating. To have a show centered around a guy who couldn't care less until sometime else that does care starts getting too much press, is horrible and absolute torture to anyone that watched before the show was kidnapped by Guza and Bernard.

#16 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

When did he admit that? And to whom? How could he still be employed after doing such a thing? No matter how popular someone is, speaking out against their role/a show/ the writers, producers, etc., generally tends to lead toward getting one fired from said show. If he dislikes the situation so much, why not get another job?

#17 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

He said it years ago in a Soap Opera Digest interview, at that time, the most recent storyline that he tanked was one involving a character named Angel. He was both proud and arrogant about his ability to tank the storyline, which also led to that actress losing her job.

#18 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

That is not cool. His character is popular and a big part of the show, but that kind of behavior is completely uncalled for. I'm very disappointed to learn of this. I wonder how his co-stars felt about his comments and what they think about working with him, especially those who have been with the show for some time. 

#19 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:20 AM

Oh, the backstage going ons of General Hospital are almost legendary. A lot of the veterans, for example, the Quartermaines, those actors were initially upset, but after a while, they saw the direction of the show and just became resigned to showing up every once in a while to play scenes.

One of the ways to start getting bigger storylines was to actually buddy up with Maurice. For a while, the character of Nikolas wasn't doing much of anything, but suddenly Tyler got in with Maurice and started boxing with him. Next thing you know, Nikolas starts getting major screen time and a storyline of worth.

Why I am forgetting her name right now, I don't know, but the previous Carly, right before Laura, finally had to leave the show once she realized that she would never be able to have a storyline that didn't involve Carly being Sonny's doormat. Maurice would run through every new actress on the show, but as soon as he saw he didn't like the fan reaction, he got Carly dragged back into his story.

That's just a few of the stories I remember.

#20 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

That's amazing! In all the years I have dropped in and out of watching the show I never knew any of that. Of course, I never followed any of them beyond the show - soap acting, while considered a respectable gig back in the day, more or less limited people and you wouldn't really see them doing other things. Times have changed -- pretty much anything goes now.