• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Zoey

Zoey

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

I am really into this show called Face Off, on the SyFy channel. Does anyone else watch this show? It is so cool to watch these talented people transform a model, into whatever the theme is that week. One time the theme was a flower/animal hybrid. The models looked so creepy and cool. My favorite episode was the Wizard of Oz themed one. The mmodels looked like they could have been in some crazy horror movie.

#2 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have heard about it but never seen it.

Do you have snappies of the flower/animal hybrid? I am curious lol

#3 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

I am really into this show called Face Off, on the SyFy channel. Does anyone else watch this show? It is so cool to watch these talented people transform a model, into whatever the theme is that week. One time the theme was a flower/animal hybrid. The models looked so creepy and cool. My favorite episode was the Wizard of Oz themed one. The mmodels looked like they could have been in some crazy horror movie.

Hey even I have heard a lot about it. Can you please share some more info so that I am convinced to watch it. :-)

#4 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

watched a little bit online but it did not lure me enough to watch it through :(

#5 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Threads have been merged due to its duplicity

#6 Dessa34

Dessa34

Shy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

I love this show! I look forward to watching it every Tuesday. I think it is so cool how they are able to do what they do in just a few days. I really like the girl that came back. She is on it and doing really well right now. I think it will come down to her and the other girl that is left. They are both super talented.

#7 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

I just recently started watching a few episodes. I'm a creative person myself, but these people are so talented and gifted. I'm a new fan.

#8 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I do like Face Off, and found that I really got hook this past season. Although, I have to admit I didn't like some of the tactics that were done this year. I have a tendency not to complain about the outcome of reality shows, and just enjoy the show itself, but this time I had to question what happened. No offense to Niki she is a talented make up artist but when she was eliminated during the Alice In Wonderland Challenge she deserved it. So for her to be given a second chance some weeks later while the other artist had been there getting through challenge after challenge that alone didn't seem fair to me.

Then its between her and Roy during the Grimm Challenge as to which one deserved to make it to the final and which one should be sent home. For me the fact that Niki had been eliminated once before, while Roy hadn't and he had even won challenges was enough to say who should go through to final, it should of been Roy. But instead Niki not only goes through to the final, she actually wins the competition. Sorry, I couldn't get behind this or the fact that viewers chose her. Of the three left it should of been a competition between Laura (by far the most consistent) and Derek (great Make up artist) but instead it went to Niki who in my opinion really didn't prove herself the way the others did.

#9 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Well, apparently the show learned its lesson after the Niki fiasco, sorry there was no other way to describe that.  In any case the next season, it was now up to the professional make up artist judges who the winner was.  Which is the way it should be.

I am all for those competitions that let viewers have a vote such as American Idol and Dancing with the Stars.  But there are certain competitions where this sort of things shouldn't happen because its about entering a professional field, therefore professional in that field should be judging you, not viewers who are liking who they like or not seeing the whole thing well enough as the judges who are actually there, to be able to judge this the way it should be judged.  Project Runway is such a show and has never gone the give the viewers a vote route.  Face Off is another such show and apparently learned its lesson the hard way about not doing this sort of things.  

Edited by pafjlh, 19 October 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#10 MercyL

MercyL

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have found Face-Off refreshing and educatonal, much moreo than any other competitive reality show.

I'm not so keen on their quasi spin off, Naked Vegas, though. Body painting does require talent, but some of the artist's design choices baffle me and the show's name is obvious titillation, which is a shame. The artists are talented enough to hold their own without "Naked" being what draws attention to the show.

#11 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

I have found Face-Off refreshing and educatonal, much moreo than any other competitive reality show.

I'm not so keen on their quasi spin off, Naked Vegas, though. Body painting does require talent, but some of the artist's design choices baffle me and the show's name is obvious titillation, which is a shame. The artists are talented enough to hold their own without "Naked" being what draws attention to the show.

I enjoy Naked Vegas because of the art and design work. I'm not crazy about Red's personality but I think Nix and Wiser are talented artists and the resulting fantasy body makeup looks really cool.

I didn't like Miranda on Face Off because she was always insecure and crying, and late, and falling behind and making the other artsts take time away from their own projects to help her. Her poor time management and Tate's willingness to help her, could have caused Tate to get eliminated. He kept walking away from his own work to help her. Fortunately Tate had talent and good karma on his side.

#12 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

I just started watching this and cant get enough of it. It's incredible how creative some of the people are, even if the creations seem to gravitate towards the grotesque a lot (or maybe that's just Season 5?). Anyway, I'm thinking I need to go back and watch the previous seasons before the new one starts so I can participate here ;)

#13 MercyL

MercyL

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

I enjoy Naked Vegas because of the art and design work. I'm not crazy about Red's personality but I think Nix and Wiser are talented artists and the resulting fantasy body makeup looks really cool.

I didn't like Miranda on Face Off because she was always insecure and crying, and late, and falling behind and making the other artsts take time away from their own projects to help her. Her poor time management and Tate's willingness to help her, could have caused Tate to get eliminated. He kept walking away from his own work to help her. Fortunately Tate had talent and good karma on his side.

I have to admit, Miranda got on my last nerve. She reminds me of people who come across as really needy, but really just want someone else to do their work for them!

I have not formed any hard and fast opinions about the Naked Vegas crew, but I think they do not spend enough time thinking through their designs.

One example was the episode with the cos-play contestants. Two girls who wanted a combo design featuring a dragon and a dragon queen, or slayer...I can't rememberwhich it was. The body paint designers sketched out the dragon's head as a hat meant to line up wth the dragon's mouth painted on one contestant's throat.

One contestant was to stand behind the other with the dragon's mouth openening when the first contestant tilted her head toward the ceiling, opening the mouth. The second contestant was to lean down over the first, making the mouth and jawline line up with the dragon hat.

When the time came to try the hat with the opened dragon's mouth, the hat was way too small and did not line up with the mouth. Anyone watching the show, much less standing in Naked Vegas, couldhave seen the flaws long before the dragon hat and body paint were completed.

Of course, that might explain why the mustached guy didn't win Face Off, but you'd think a professional would have double checked measurements and tried out a designe before comitting with materials and paints.

I dont know when Naked Vegas will be back on, but I hope they do a little better with thinking through their designs. It does not help their business when  millions of people can watch them make amateur level mistakes on television!

#14 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I have to admit, Miranda got on my last nerve. She reminds me of people who come across as really needy, but really just want someone else to do their work for them!

I have not formed any hard and fast opinions about the Naked Vegas crew, but I think they do not spend enough time thinking through their designs.

One example was the episode with the cos-play contestants. Two girls who wanted a combo design featuring a dragon and a dragon queen, or slayer...I can't rememberwhich it was. The body paint designers sketched out the dragon's head as a hat meant to line up wth the dragon's mouth painted on one contestant's throat.

One contestant was to stand behind the other with the dragon's mouth openening when the first contestant tilted her head toward the ceiling, opening the mouth. The second contestant was to lean down over the first, making the mouth and jawline line up with the dragon hat.

When the time came to try the hat with the opened dragon's mouth, the hat was way too small and did not line up with the mouth. Anyone watching the show, much less standing in Naked Vegas, couldhave seen the flaws long before the dragon hat and body paint were completed.

Of course, that might explain why the mustached guy didn't win Face Off, but you'd think a professional would have double checked measurements and tried out a designe before comitting with materials and paints.

I dont know when Naked Vegas will be back on, but I hope they do a little better with thinking through their designs. It does not help their business when  millions of people can watch them make amateur level mistakes on television!

That's true, some of their designs that involve multiple models don't look right. During the steampunk episode, I liked the idea of the 3 models lining up to form a steam powered locomotive, but I think the execution was a little sloppy. Also, what's up with their time management that it always seems like they're running late and painting models on the way to the venue?

#15 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

I need to catch up on more episodes of this show, because I love special effects and always have. When I was a kid, I was planning on growing up to be a special effects artist and work on horror movies. 

One of the main reasons I love shows like this, is that you get to see real people demonstrate real skills and talent. These aren't some privileged spoiled brat kids of some wealth family who want their own pointless reality show. These are actual artists creating some amazing work in very limited time spans. I feel rather confident the producers aren't doing a whole lot to manipulate the show or misrepresent things as they are happening - because their works speak for themselves really. 

I'm also amazed at how they are able to complete these elaborate projects in such a limited amount of time.

#16 misty1987

misty1987

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

I've watched every season of face off and it has definitely sparked an interest in prosthetics work. Pass me the latex! My favorite contestant ever has to be Tate. He was able to create amazing pieces, has a great imagination and just seemed genuinely nice. I have to admit, I prefered the first season only because it was much more intimate, a niche market programme. Now it's gained more popularity its reflected in the other seasons and the way they handle the competition. It is a great show and definitely worth a watch.

#17 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

I watched a couple seasons of it on and off. 

I feel like this is one of those shows that I have to be in the right mood to watch. I tend to play it in the background when I don't really want to focus on a plot-intensive show. I still get to enjoy their amazing creations, but if I faze out for 10 minutes while I work on something else, then I don't really miss anything crucial. Some of the artists on the show are REALLY good! 

#18 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

This is actually one of my favorite reality shows.  I love the work they do, how they transform the models into such imaginative creatures.  I wish they would give the contestants a little more time to do each makeup though, sometimes, they just don't seem finished.  The show is also done in a "positive" way, where everyone seems to get along, and there's not a lot of drama, with yelling, cussing and fights. 

I love this season, where they've brought back the three "mentors" - people who won previous seasons - to help with the contestants.  So far the makeup seems to be much better.  I look forward to the rest of season - it should be a good one.

I loved last weeks episode, where they did the body painting of a queen insect and her background.  It was interesting to see them a little out of their elements with just painting and not designing and fabrication of creatures.