• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I can't be the only one who love to watch these sappy Christmas movies. I actually cannot get enough of them and the more cheesy and cringeworthy they are, the better!

Complete TV schedule of Christmas movies: http://www.mostlychr...ched.php?page=2

What new movies are you looking forward to seeing this year and which sappy/corny ones do you want to watch again? I won't judge you, lol!

#2 kmommy37

kmommy37

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

I understand what you mean about the indulgence of the sappy, nostalgic holiday movies; but in these days and times it’s important to have at least some pleasantness in life. Now that I am a Mom, many times I encourage the more family types of movies in my home. Being a parent has made me want to go back and relive the great holiday shows I used to watch. It’s great to see the movies I used to love as a kid still standout today and can still bring families together.

#3 TABL

TABL

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

I like those sappy movies too!  My kids don't enjoy them, and neither does my husband, so I can't really watch them.

One Christmas movie I LOVE is ELF!  So stinking hilarious!
I also love Emmitt Otter's Jugband Christmas.  I have it on VHS-- it was my favorite as a kid.

#4 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

My favorite of all Christmas movies is on tonight. Christmas Angel on Lifetime. It's the cheesiest and most tenderhearted, but I love watching it. Lol!

#5 minutes

minutes

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

I don't like all those new, made for TV Christmas movies. They just seem so overdone, sappy, and awful.

Instead, I like the classics. Like Home Alone, Christmas Story, and Elf. Those really get me in the holiday spirit more than any other holiday movies. They're just so funny, and it's always a tradition to watch those movies when is is Christmas time. 

#6 wickedshizuku27

wickedshizuku27

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

My mom and I watch these channels in marathon mode during Christmas. I'm not such a fan of watching any of the channels, but I don't have a job so this is how I give my mom her Christmas gift of the year. We make popcorn, hot chocolate, and a variety of snacks. Then for hours we just sit and absorb the romance and comedy. Some maybe really cheesy, but it gives us some great memories and conversation starters.

#7 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

I started watching those ABC Family Christmas movies 2 years ago when I was going through a hard time and needed a distraction. Since then, I watch them every year, and I finally had to admit that I am not too cool to enjoy sappy holiday movies. I alternate between made for TV movies and feature films like Elf and Christmas Vacation.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 24 December 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#8 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

I cannot imagine a Christmas without Home Alone. It is a tradition in my family.

#9 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

Over here in England, they always play The Wizard Of Oz. I am talking every single year. It is not even a Christmas-y feel really, yet they play it every year at Christmas time as though it is a part of Christmas tradition. Nevertheless, I watch it every year. Brilliant film.

#10 AshleyJoy

AshleyJoy

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

I caught the showing of Christmas in Conway last month on ABC. It was absolutely devestating while being absolutely wonderful at the same time. My kind of sappy movie!

#11 VTEC 91244

VTEC 91244

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

The oldies are the best, IMHO.

Christmas time comes, I'm watching Hannah-Barbara stuffs, Rankin-Bass Claymation things, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon), Charlie Brown and some of those Christmas eps of really really old shows. I'm talking Jack Benny and Milton Berle old. I've also got Holiday Inn and White Christmas, which is basically almost the same film twice but I love them so much.

And there's a couple of Christmas episodes of Doctor Who I've got.

Those Hallmark ones, I've tried to watch them, but they're really not my style. Some are a bit too depressing in parts for my liking, and others are so unrealistic that it just turns me off.

Edited by VTEC 91244, 16 June 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#12 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

A lot of the movies that come on these channels are actually really good, but too many of them are much too sad for my liking. The ones that air around Christmas may be a little bit more jolly, but  overall the movies that air on these sorts of channels are draining lol.

#13 kmommy37

kmommy37

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

Unfortunately, in order to stomach the world of the today at some point a sappy movie is needed sometimes. The world we live in now is so saturated with so much corruption, debauchery, and negativity as a whole; a Charlie Brown episode is a great mental escape. Now Lifetime should be avoided altogether because that channel may make you not like nor appreciate your relationship with a man or woman at any season. Hallmark still gives you hope in the essence of really good, inspirational tv that can bring families together in any situation. I love it!

#14 Skyspirit

Skyspirit

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

If you like Christmas Specials on ABC Family, don't forget Pretty Little Liars tomorrow night.  Aria, Em, Spencer and Hannah bring it on; I believe even the Ghost of Mona will be present, along w/A of course. Sounds like a beautiful set with very scary moments. All in all, sounds like my kind of Christmas Special -Beautifully dark and full of Drama' - Coolness!!!!

#15 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

Favorite Chrismas movies that come on every year: 

Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer - I only had to see this movie ONCE to love it. It was an interesting take of what would happen, if Santa wouldn't be able to do his job on Christmas. (Reason being, he could a case by running someone over. How often to you see that?!) 

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown - This movie has been a source of nostaliga for me. I loved to read about Charlie and his pals in the Peanuts comics. When I first saw the show, it felt like a dream come true. I got to see some of my favorite characters out on the tv, as they go about their daily lives. It was nice to know that they celebrated Christmas along with me, I thought when I was kid, and I still sit down to watch it. Some things, you just don't grow out of. 

#16 FanGirl

FanGirl

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

My all time favorite is A Christmas Story is my all  favorite, I can totally identify with this movie so much is consistent with my own life experience. My favorite scene is where the dogs come barging in and steal the turkey, almost as funny as the Santa scene in the store. About the only other ones I feel like I never want to miss is The Grinch, and Rudolph. I have gotten so I really like Olive the Reindeer, how witty is that for a new reindeer name!  Luckily many of these shows are replayed over and over. Interestingly and someone else mentioned this, we get to also see the Wizard of Oz around Christmas and I love that too.

I

#17 Aquar

Aquar

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

My favorite movie on ABC Family is Holiday in Handcuffs. I missed when it was showing this year though.

It's cliche but my favorite holiday movies in general are Home Alone and Home Alone 2. I never get tired of seeing them during the season though it annoys me when they show it any other time.

#18 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

I love a whole lot of the Christmas movies.  Yes, as some have said these can be sappy, but at the same time they can be heart warming as well. There are also those that can be done for laughs like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation or even the Home Alone Movies, but these still have that heart warming message of Christmas as well. 

One of my mother's favorite movies was a made for TV Movie called The Night They Saved Christmas which starred Art Carney as Santa Claus, this was a good movie that I'm not sure too many of you have heard of, its not seen that much.  Of course ABC Family airs many Christmas movies and special this time of year, and I will admit out loud that I love to watch them.  I guess I am just a sucker for these type of sappy movies.

#19 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

I didn't get to watch my Christmas movies this year because I lost my apartment 2 weeks ago due to a rent increase. I'm still depressed and wondering if we'll ever get to have another normal Christmas where nothing bad happens.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 20 December 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#20 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:52 AM

I watched no Christmas specials this last Christmas, I wasn't at home :/   But most of the time me and my mom enjoy watching the Hallmark channel, we love their movies!  They might seem to be low budget, but they're actually fine!

Sometimes they air movies with more well known actors, like for example ''Saving Christmas''.  That was a great film, I found it really comforting  and I could watch it ever year, lol.  For me comfort films are those that make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside, so much I don't mind watching them several times.

Edited by Sefarad, 13 March 2015 - 06:53 AM.