• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

I love SNL overall, but their episodes are really hit and miss. The past couple of seasons have had their moments but were generally iffy. And having Justin Bieber host felt like a big middle finger to the fans. It's sad to see all the best players leave, but I'm generally holding out hope that more talent comes along pretty soon.

#22 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

People always talk about the "good old days," but that's because you only remember the best sketches. There have always been those really bad sketches, but they seem to be a bit more frequent nowadays. You kind of have to take the show as a whole because the more you dissect it, the more disappointed you're going to be.

#23 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Honestly, I'm shocked this show is still around. I swear it's like the Simpsons, it just won't die. But I guess that says a lot for the show's longevity since someone has to be watching it for it be on so long.

#24 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

In reference to the people wondering how the show is even still around....

Posted Image

They really are getting desperate, aren't they? Hehe.

#25 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

In reference to the people wondering how the show is even still around....

Posted Image

They really are getting desperate, aren't they? Hehe.

Well even thought that IS pretty desperate lol, I'll give them credit for being around so long. I mean look at it this way, I'm past 30. But I remember this show all the way back from my elementary school days.

#26 JaimieSkye

JaimieSkye

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I love it and hope it never dies! The past few season kind of sucked. A lot of the skits were way too out there for me. I don't know if they got some different writers, or what. But, I find this season to be pretty hilarious most of the time. That Mrs. Santa Claus skit during the news with Seth was a riot. I'm having a hard time watching Christmas shows with Mrs. Santa Claus in them now without thinking about that.

#27 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

That Mrs. Santa Claus skit during the news with Seth was a riot. I'm having a hard time watching Christmas shows with Mrs. Santa Claus in them now without thinking about that.

I saw that and laughed my butt off, too! Unfortunately, the show is so hit or miss now that I'm not sure it's even worth it. I mean, after all, watching a show that lasts over an hour....for a single skit that stands out? Meh. I wish they had better quality over all again, but that's a lot to ask for every single week, I guess.

#28 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

SNL was an institution back in the early days of the show. I started watching it from day one, & believe it was 1975. There has been no cast that can even come close to the wonderful cast of Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, Larraine Newman, Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Garret Morris, Chevy Chase & Bill Murray!

And the skits from the wonderful Weekend Update, the Loud family, the Coneheads, Samurai Deli, Samurai this or that, Dan as the AM/FM DJ, The Killer Bees, & on & on & on !

Granted there has been many talented individuals that eventually came from that show,but as far as an ensemble cast, the first will always be the best !

The later years gave us Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, a favorite of mine is Victoria Jackson - the Goldie Hawn of her time!, And Tim Kasurinsky, the late, great Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Jon Lovitz, & too many to mention!

But the first cast broke the barriers & laid the groundwork for all that would follow.

#29 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Guess who hated Jamie Foxx's intro in the last episode? FOX (FAUX) NEWS! LOL! Apparently, Jamie Foxx is now a racist and according to Fox News, hate speech in America has become an epidemic. Except...they don't include themselves as part of the larger problem. :huh:

#30 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

The only time I watch SNL is if someone I like is making a cameo and even then I only watch clips online.

It is always fun to watch my faves make fun of themselves and other celebs

I miss some of the cast through the years that have either hosted SNL or were regulars. I know a handful are no longer with us. Those gems of the show made it and somewhere SNL classics are being aired. Here they were shown on a retro channel but, I haven't seen any classics in a couple of years. I caught those including Belushi, Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Jane Curtain, Laraine Newman, Garret Morris, Bill Murray and Gilda Radner and their skits for the brief time the classical episodes aired. I hope the channel brings them back. Until then I can catch my SNL fix on Hulu.

Yes, the SNL episodes with the original cast are considered classics in their own right. That's probably why their sketches have been syndicated. The original ensemble of SNL is still considered one of the best, perhaps because it was a true ensemble. They were all great comediennes, and they all worked well off each other.

Over the years there have been other great comediennes who got their start also working on SNL, but its always the original cast that so many remember fondly. As for watching SNL I have to admit that I really don't unless someone is guest starring or hosting the show that I am interested in seeing.

#31 SkyTech6

SkyTech6

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Haha at video production I'm the president in my school and I've been doing a series called SML (School Morning Live) and basically it's a joking parody use of the Weekend Update from Seth. I enjoy the concept just as much as I enjoy SNL.

The thing I like about SNL is the fact it's never the same show when you watch it. This is due to the unique fact they have a new host every night who will take part in the skits as well as other parts of the show. I think one of my favorites was when Daniel Radcliffe was on the show and he said he wouldn't be doing any Harry Potter skits while all the old Harry Potter characters SNL has used in the past where walking around behind him.

Of course there is one of the most unique and recognized features of SNL that has gained it additionally thousands of fans... the SNL Digital Shorts by Andy. No doubt they are some of the greatest that have ever come to television. The Lonely Island crew belong doing it and it was sad when Andy was on a late night show talking about That's My Boy when he announced he had quit SNL to spend more time as an actor... My heart dropped.

#32 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

I never watch SNL anymore but I had to make an exception for Justin Timberlake tonight.

tumblr_mjfgu2Lx7e1rd10xoo1_500.gif

tumblr_mjfhewqpq71rdzuduo2_400.gif

tumblr_mjfi29q7lU1rdzuduo2_400.gif

tumblr_mjfi29q7lU1rdzuduo4_400.gif

tumblr_mjfi29q7lU1rdzuduo6_400.gif

#33 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

SkyTech6, on 06 Jan 2013 - 14:04, said:
Haha at video production I'm the president in my school and I've been doing a series called SML (School Morning Live) and basically it's a joking parody use of the Weekend Update from Seth. I enjoy the concept just as much as I enjoy SNL.

The thing I like about SNL is the fact it's never the same show when you watch it. This is due to the unique fact they have a new host every night who will take part in the skits as well as other parts of the show.

That's a really cool idea. I bet people love it.

As for the latter, I agree that it's really the only thing that keeps it alive. They've had some crappy hosts in recent years and the interns weren't that great for a while...but overall, it's the constant change that keeps people coming back and having fun with it.

#34 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'm just now watching the Justin episode. I really couldn't have cared less because I'm not a big Timberlake fan. I know he's been on SNL a few times, but he's not a favorite of mine.

I am *loving* all the big names showing up in this, though! To have all these 5-timers?? It's awesome that they all came together for this. <3

#35 jazlove361

jazlove361

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I love Saturday Night Love also!!! I  love the opening in which the Cast spoofs

a major event  from the week such as the Vice Presidential Debates!! I also

love the great Musical Acts that come on, such as Paul Mcartney, Kendrick

Lamar!!!  Bill Hader, Jason Sudekis, and Keenan Thompson are so funny!!

#36 You

You

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I love Saturday Night Love also!!! I  love the opening in which the Cast spoofs

a major event  from the week such as the Vice Presidential Debates!! I also

love the great Musical Acts that come on, such as Paul Mcartney, Kendrick

Lamar!!!  Bill Hader, Jason Sudekis, and Keenan Thompson are so funny!!

Coming out of lurking to say I love your avi!

#37 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have liked the new season of SNL thus far. My only gripe or beef, was with them bringing Justin Bieber onto a previous episode as a musical guest. I am not a Bieber fan. Or a Bei-liber or whatever they're calling themselves.

#38 LadyNightowl

LadyNightowl

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

I used to watch SNL religiously and laugh like crazy at Chris Farley and Dana Carvey (and before that, John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, etc.). But these days the shows are pretty lame. It seems that the guest stars don't even try to memorize their lines and just read them off of a teleprompter. And the humor just isn't what it used to be. Or maybe I'm just older than I used to be and don't get some of the things that they think are funny. I have to admit though that the show actually is better now than it was a few years ago. I thought for sure it would be cancelled but it seems to have come back to life although nowhere near its glory days.

#39 cjcassada

cjcassada

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

The only time I watch SNL is when one of my favorite actors is hosting, other than that I don't tune into it. I admit some of the actors such as Bill Hader and Jason Sudekis were funny, but now that they're gone the show's going to go downhill. SNL was best during it's earlier years, back then they knew how to push the envelope to get a laugh.

#40 dethdealer24

dethdealer24

Cordial

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

SNL has not been funny in a long time. For a while, it started to get better because of Andy Samberg, who I think is hysterical, but the last few episodes I saw kind of fell flat. I remember the good old days, with Will Ferrel, Norm Macdonald, Will Ferrel, and Chris Farely. Those were the good old days of SNL.