Saturday Night Live

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 bstahr

bstahr

Shy

• 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Has anyone watched the older seasons on Netflix? I was so excited to see the '70s, '80s and '90s episodes on Instant Streaming. However, I was disappointed that many of the sketches are missing from the episodes, and although the musical guests are introduced, they are never shown! I know this has to do with getting rights to the songs and whatnot, but I was still a bit bummed.

I love watching the old sketches though. It's fun to see which hosts and cast members have made it big since the show first aired. I also read "Live From New York," which is an oral history of "SNL," and I highly recommend it. It gives the reader a lot of insight to the show, cast and behind-the-scened action from the very beginning to the present time when the book was published.

#42 twistedyees8787

twistedyees8787

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes I have, also Hulu.com shows alot of the older episodes.  I love seeing how the show has went through the ups and downs throughout the years. Unfortunately we are currently on a down and its going to be hard to revive it after the good actors left.

#43 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

I'm really surprised how many of the great cast members are leaving the show after this season. I will especially miss "Stefon" - he had me in tears every time he was on there.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the older episodes that are now available online are missing certain skits? I've been trying to find a skit they did back in the early 90's making fun of Natalie Cole's Unforgettable. It was called "Unforgiveable". I found the episode that it is supposed to be in according to records of the show, but when I watched the whole episode on Hulu it is missing the skit. It was on Youtube for a short while, but they had it taken down for some reason.

#44 rl1967

rl1967

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

The departure of Fred Armisen and Bill Hader from the show will definitely have a big impact next season.  However, I'm still confident that the show will still be enjoyable to watch as guys like Taran Killan and Jay Pharoah, not to mention Jason Sudekis, are still there.  It would also be interesting to see who'll be the new featured players  joining the cast when the show starts the new season this fall.

#45 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Does anyone know if Stefon will be part of the season opener? I've heard some suggestions that may be the case, but I doubt it considering the sendoff they gave him when the last season ended.

#46 Matthew

Matthew

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Some of SNL's skits are comical, but I get pretty bored watching it for more then a few minutes.  I may check it out to see what's going to happen with all the character changes/departures, but I doubt I'll watch it long.

#47 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

I miss Fred Armisen and I still catch him on Portlandia. I'm not really a fan of anyone in the current cast.

All my favorite cast members left. I'm interested to see Andy Samberg's new cop show.

#48 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

I love watching this show.  I have kept up with this currently   I like Bill Hader, Seth Myers and Tina Fey, out of today's cast. You can catch all the past shows on Hulu and NBC on the internet. Plus you can watch this live on internet as well. 

#49 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Has anyone watched the older seasons on Netflix? I was so excited to see the '70s, '80s and '90s episodes on Instant Streaming. However, I was disappointed that many of the sketches are missing from the episodes, and although the musical guests are introduced, they are never shown! I know this has to do with getting rights to the songs and whatnot, but I was still a bit bummed.

I love watching the old sketches though. It's fun to see which hosts and cast members have made it big since the show first aired. I also read "Live From New York," which is an oral history of "SNL," and I highly recommend it. It gives the reader a lot of insight to the show, cast and behind-the-scened action from the very beginning to the present time when the book was published.

That may very well be the cause. I was trying to find an old skit they did, a parody of Natalie Cole's Unforgettable - it was called "Unforgiveable" and they did a bunch of dead celebrities singing famous songs along side her. It was hilarious but I can't find it anywhere anymore. They took it down off of Youtube, and none of the official copies of the show seem to have the skit on it. It's kind of odd though because I though parody was covered under copyright laws.

Update: found it! lol

https://www.youtube....h?v=Z4BMBEujoN4

Edited by OhioTom76, 09 September 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#50 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

That may very well be the cause. I was trying to find an old skit they did, a parody of Natalie Cole's Unforgettable - it was called "Unforgiveable" and they did a bunch of dead celebrities singing famous songs along side her. It was hilarious but I can't find it anywhere anymore. They took it down off of Youtube, and none of the official copies of the show seem to have the skit on it. It's kind of odd though because I though parody was covered under copyright laws.

Update: found it! lol

https://www.youtube....h?v=Z4BMBEujoN4

I remember that sketch. It was funny because it is kind of odd to do a duet with an artist that isn't alive to approve of the duet.

Unforgettable only works because it was Natalie Cole's dad. It would be tacky and ridiculous to do it with any other dead singer, especially since past artists wouldn't like today's music. For example it would be a heinous travesty for Miley Cyrus to do a duet with John Lennon.

#51 pftsusan

pftsusan

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

This show, I have continued to watch from the begiining because there style of comedy is very much an attraction for me and I've been very entertained by it. All the way in the beginning when Chevy Chase was on the show, in the 1970's. I remember that he used to fall down flat on his back, on the stage for the opening. It was very funny, but he did get injured. So that's why it was stopped. I remember Gilda Radner who was Rosanna Bandana on the show. She was married to Gene Wildler. She passed from breast cancer, after she bought a whole demension of comedy in SNL. RIP Gilda. 

The Belushi brothers and Jimmy Fallon were all on the show.  Many started here. Many exciting guest hosts throughout the years. Many hosted more than once. The Prime Time Players have the best comedy act going. 

#52 Banana

Banana

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Did anyone see last Saturday's episode? Kerry Washington was awesome. I think it's one of the funniest of the recent seasons (admittedly, it's not as funny as it used to be  - especially that Jennifer Lawrence episode, which is a shame since she's so talented)

#53 Kratos

Kratos

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I saw the episode, and it was good but not great. K Washington was entertaining and funny, and I enjoyed watching the show.

#54 minutes

minutes

Cordial

• 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I miss all of the old seasons from the 1980s and 1990s. Those were the best years, in my opinion. And it was such a launching pad for the biggest comedy stars of today. Some of those skits are classic, and I just don't see the ones from today being that memorable. Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Norm MacDonald, David Spade... they all had their roots in SNL.

With regards to music, it seems like these days artists just go on SNL to plug their latest album. Back in the day, it was an honor to perform on SNL and artists would not take it for granted. Britney Spears and the like have gone on SNL and have lip-synced during their performances, and I think that's just disrespectful.

#55 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

SNL is one of those things that I can't help love and hate in equal amounts. When its good its amazing and when its bad its nauseating. Didn't know Bill Hader is leaving. That guy is awesome. 

#56 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

These past couple years have been rough with the show. Kristin Wiig and Tina Fey and a small group of others were kind of carrying the show along while the rest kept churning out dumber and dumber skits. This most recent cast is one of the worst I've seen on the show in years and the skits they are coming up with are cringe worthy. Plus, how many times do we need Justin Timberlake on the show. He over acts all of his skits and tries to be the center of attention the whole time, and it's annoying.

#57 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

These past couple years have been rough with the show. Kristin Wiig and Tina Fey and a small group of others were kind of carrying the show along while the rest kept churning out dumber and dumber skits. This most recent cast is one of the worst I've seen on the show in years and the skits they are coming up with are cringe worthy. Plus, how many times do we need Justin Timberlake on the show. He over acts all of his skits and tries to be the center of attention the whole time, and it's annoying.

I actually don't mind Justin Timberlake because he's become almost an unofficial cast member and they always get him to do the Bee Gees sketch.

I agree that the quality and originality of the sketches has gone down in recent years. I don't think SNL is completely dead. I just think it needs a shot of new blood. Some new cast members and a couple of new writers could turn things around. There have been a few times where it looked like SNL was done for and then they got new cast members that broght it back to life.

#58 millerhicks

millerhicks

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

OMG...SNL has seriously started to suck!! :-(  Especially when they decide to put on an entirely new cast without any of the existing ones that actually are funny, no less. I couldn't even finish the entire episode with Jenny McCarthy this last week; I love her and it was just absolutely painful to watch! Actually, SNL hasn't been really good for quite a few years, IMO. Maybe they should retire it and try something new...couldn't get much worse.

#59 jneanz

jneanz

Cordial

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

It's been bad for a while and Lorne Michaels knows it.  This is why SNL resorted to the bad publicity stunt of casting a Black woman.  Why noy just bring on people that are funny with the right chemistry?

They never re-live the moments when people like Belushi, Eddie Murpy or Chris Farley made the show but I saw that Justin Timberlake hosted nearly 1/2 dozen episodes.  Are they kidding? :lol:

#60 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

I don't watch SNL as often as I should which is a shame because it's hilarious. The last time I watched it properly was when Jesse Eisenberg was hosting it. He was amazing!