• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 squareeyes89

squareeyes89

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

I didn't watch SNL in the 70s, 80s or 90s as I was too young for it in the 70s and 80s and I don't think it was broadcasted in New Zealand in the 90s. It's only in the past few years that I've started watching it and while a lot of the skits aren't that funny, I still enjoy watching to see how each celebrity host fares. :)

#62 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by a lot of their skits in the last year or two. For a while, the whole show seemed to rather suck and there would just be the occasional gem. 

Now, though, it's more like the bulk of them are at least decently funny again and only a handful are really bad or completely unfunny. They seem to be improving! 

#63 terryp1202

terryp1202

Cordial

• 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

I always felt SNL was way past it's prime. Back in the day, it was the best variety show on TV. It was so original, and had so many imitators like Mad TV, and In Living Color. Now it has it's great moments in between a normally mediocre and forced product. I always tune in looking for the great spots though.

#64 sammed92

sammed92

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have not followed the SNL throughout. but when i see it, I can see many great comedian actors' first ever TV appearances. Nice to see them perform before they were famous.

#65 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:12 AM

I am ALWAYS getting the name of this show mixed up with Watch What Happens Live!! It isn't that hard, so I shouldn't be getting mixed up - especially with my mental capacity lol. But I do.

#66 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

I wonder if SNL is ever going to be canceled. I go through phases where I'm bored with it and think they're out of ideas, then every couple of years, they'll hire a couple of new actors and writers and I enjoy it again for a little while. I don't even think being a musical guest on SNL is as much of a big deal as it used to be. In the 80's and 90's, every musician wanted to be on SNL because it was a sign that they had made it. Now nobody cares.

#67 nhipaah

nhipaah

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

I feel like if they at least get a few good sketches in every couple years, they'll stay on air for as long as time allows. I've only seen a few full episodes of it, though I watch their sketches every now and then on Youtube. The ones that are uploaded, at least, are great! And they seem to have quite a few good ones always popping out.

Also, since they rotate hosts as they do, they'll always have new comedians and actors, meaning new content. It doesn't mean that it's not repetitive, it's just repetition obscure enough to fool the minds into thinking it's great original work.

#68 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

So SNL is back and they were able to keep Kenan for one more season, even though he wanted to leave. I heard they asked him to stay on to help with the transition with so many other regulars having already left, which is probably a good thing. 

Here's a nice recap: 

http://popwatch.ew.c...on-40-premiere/

They're definitely having some growing pains, but haven't they been going through that for the last 10-15 years anyway?? 

#69 askanison

askanison

Cordial

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

So far this season the best episode has been the one with Bill hader as host. I bet it was fun for him to be back on again with the friends he has at SNL. I read an interview with him the other day and he was talking about his nervousness and the elevator ride up to the audition. He got on with Adam Sandberg who had a back pack full of props and was worried that he had brought no props while Adam was looking at him worried that he had brought too many props. I think they should let Vanessa Bayer and Taran Killam have more time since they seem to be the only ones who are consitently funny.

#70 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

SNL to me isn't as relevant or as funny as it used to b e, but It also could be that there is a lot more material out there now that is way more funny like Key and Peele. SNL just isn't like how it used to be back in the 90s-00s.

#71 jneanz

jneanz

Cordial

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:19 PM

After all the hoopla about lack of a diverse cast, SNL has more Blacks than ever along with more R&B musical acts.  I never saw any Asians in the past 30+ years of watching.  Still not as funny but I think this season will be it.

#72 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Being from the UK i have never been able to watch Saturday night live but am familiar with it and i know it has launched the careers of many great stars over the years.

One of my heroes rose to fame on this show, the legendary Andy Kaufman who made 16 appearances on SNL in total, until he angered audiences with his female wrestling routine and they voted against him appearing on the show ever again, he never did. His foreign man character was first seen on the show and eventually transformed in to 'Latka' on the sitcom Taxi. He was famous for his elaborate pranks which divided opinion on him. I would like to know if people here remember him and whether they regard him as a genius or vastly overrated.